Free historic photos

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Free historic photos

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:10 am

The Library of Congress is building a nice database of royalty-free (and cost-free) photographs at Flickr. Take a look:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress

Barbara

Esteemed Member

Postby LEE7 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:29 am

Thank You Dear

Peter

Postby marmart » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:38 am

Wow Barbara! Thank you for your investigative prowess! If I ever get the pleasure of doing a show for the love of it, I would surely look here for ideas!

Regards,

Mary

Postby bigsewed » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:49 am

Thanks Barbara...
Super site...
Wes

Geo

Postby Geo » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:03 am

WOW, thanks for the headsup!!!! Just looking at them is great.

geo

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:20 am

marmart wrote:Thank you for your investigative prowess!

Mary, there was no prowess involved in this one. I got the link from a photography newsletter I'm subscribed to from http://www.imaging-resource.com/ which is one of the premier sites for in-depth reviews of all imaging-related equipment along with a certain amount of software.

Barbara

Valued Member

Postby Hemo2 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:57 am

This is a great site! You can also go directly to the LOC and search for items too at: http://catalog.loc.gov/

In the past, I've searched on 'south dakota panoramic' and found multiple old panoramic photos taken in South Dakota. One was of the Capitol building in 1913 which I was able to recreate in 2006. Regardless, I like the layout of the flickr site and just looking at photos is fun.

Keith

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:36 pm

Keith, thank you for the reminder about the full-blown LOC. There's so much available on the Internet that it's easy to miss the most obvious. :D

Barbara

Postby debngar » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:56 pm

I stumbled on the original LOC a while back - quite an interesting website.

Be sure to check terms of use for each image you use.

On the original LOC website - it states...

As a publicly supported institution the Library generally does not own rights to material in its collections. Therefore, it does not charge permission fees for use of such material and cannot give or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute material in its collections.

It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the Library's collections.

The nature of historical archival collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine. Whenever possible, the Library provides information about copyright owners and other restrictions in the catalog records, other texts that accompany collections, or in "restrictions statements" available by request. The Library provides such information as a service to aid patrons in determining the appropriate use of an item, but that determination ultimately rests with the patron. The Library of Congress is eager to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified so that appropriate information may be provided in the future.

But still, a great website nevertheless.

Thanks for the reminder about that one Barbara!

Debbie

SSteve

photo site

Postby SSteve » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:51 am

Great image site
I did a show for my grand kids here while back on the home front during world war 2 and i got lots of good photos here.But I had lost the site
Thanks Steve

Return to Photography