I'm impressed by this guy's photography

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:58 am

I will forever be in your shadow, Oh Great One. Thinking in a curmudgeonly manner simply isn't good enough, though my family, I'm sure, wishes I'd stop thinking out loud.

When it comes to camera equipment, I'm sure we've all witnessed atrocious pictures coming from high-end cameras and then show-stoppers coming from point-and-shoots. Our own eyes and minds are the real equipment.

Barbara

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:08 am

BarbaraC wrote:Our own .... minds are the real equipment.

Unfortunately, some people are "under-equipped".

:shock: :shock:

Names withheld to protect the guilty. ;-)
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

Pauline

Postby Pauline » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:24 pm

JC

Just want to say thanks for the sites you've suggested. I'll take a look at them later and I appreciate your reply.

Esteemed Member

Postby pwholmes » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:42 pm

Alright, allow me to be a contrarian to the contrarians. I've seen a lot of great wedding stuff that is fabulous, polished and well-produced, to the point of looking like magazine ads in their sophistication. That's just the point. Sometimes it's just not real. It may be what a lot of brides and grooms want and they may feel it adds luster to their memories, but to me it gets to look dime-a-dozen. I love the simplicity, light and candidness of Bill Cawley's photos. Does that mean he just points the camera and shoots and then throws it all on the table. No, it is the way he presents them after shooting them. I found every photograph on his blog drew me toward the people in them. I felt like I was being presented with unique, interesting individuals. I'm also convinced he has a way of editing them that makes each photo stand out without looking over-Photoshopped.

Thank-you, Contrarions, for your viewpoint. You have a unique way of looking at things and you just don't see what I see and maybe I don't see what you see. Maybe I'm all wet, but that makes 3 of us in this post so far. So, obviously we all have different viewpoints and ways of looking at things.

I still love Bill Cawley's work.
Nah, nah, na, nah-nah! :wink:

Paul Holmes
Amateur cab driver
Amateur videographer
Amateur slide-show maker

I'm only here to learn from you geniuses!

Postby srq102 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:31 am

Hi Folks,

I'm not a pro photographer by any stretch of the word. I've never had any formal training and I don't give a rusty hoot about the "rule of thirds" I shoot photos for memories and not for art. Although I hope some day that someone might see my photos as good, even great would be nice. :-)

I've ran across places that people submit their photos for critique and the response that they get is rude and even cruel at times. I guess they forget that they were not born shooting the perfect composition with the perfect light and focus and then again there is the megabucks software that can be used to turn a blah photo into a crisp, clear, vibrant beauty. But that's an aspect other than just shooting your shot perfectly with the perfect composition and exposure etc. from the camera to start with.

One of the nicest groups that I've ran across for critique without getting your head bitten off ( most of the time) is the Nikon Cafe. Anyway I guess I said all that in hopes that folks here won't get into that cruel mode here in the photography section. For the most part this group seems to be a nice bunch of folks. Well sometimes when the moon is full :-) I guess our fangs start to show but even so, we are family here.

Okay, I'm off to work..

Have great day everyone,

Rick G

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:19 am

Rick G wrote:there is the megabucks software that can be used to turn a blah photo into a crisp, clear, vibrant beauty.

Regardless of the price, I would love to buy some of this software. ;-)

I think you'll find that you are mistaken, Rick. There are no "magic" formulas nor software that can take a poor photo and turn it into "vibrant beauty". The tools can help you to improve a photo somewhat, but the final result really does depend mostly on the quality of what you captured in the camera.

Rick G wrote:Well sometimes when the moon is full :-) I guess our fangs start to show but even so, we are family here.

Fangs? I haven't seen too many of these around here, barring maybe sensitive topics or beliefs that are not related to slideshows and photography, and which belong elsewhere IMO. As for "family"....this isn't my family. Not even close, I'm afraid, so let's not kid ourselves on that score. But the group is definitely a fun bunch and one that is, for the most part, very polite and well behaved when compared to other forums.

One problem is that many people that post their work publicly actually have zero interest in criticism, positive or otherwise. Many only want to have their egos stroked, whether they admit it to themselves or not. Wanting to be stroked seems to be a pretty pervasive human condition.

Personally, I find that a waste of time, since stroking someone's ego and "being kind" or "don't say nuttin' if you don't got sumpin nice to say" doesn't help the submitter to improve their slidemaking or photography techniques. That being said, kudos where they are due are not a bad thing either. If someone did something special/unique/noteworthy/remarkable, then it's worth remarking on.

As I've mentioned before, I will call 'em the way I see 'em, noting remarkable attributes and also areas for improvements both, when/as the mood strikes, the time allows and the stars align.

But always with the proviso that it's just my opinion, and YMMV of course.

PS. Hey...just noticed this is my half-century post. Maybe I'll catch up to Mikey and Jan one day, but given my current time demands, not likely. Besides, I'm sure many would prefer fewer posts from the curmudgeon rather than more, since forthright opinions, even opinionated ones, seem to be in disfavour relative to the mushy/sunny/letsallplayniceandnotriskhurtingsomeonesfragilefeelings types. <extra wide grins>

Esteemed Member

Postby pwholmes » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:07 am

I personally have no problem with Barbara and Tarafrost's posts. I've seen Tarafrost's posts before and he just likes to call them as he sees them.

For me, whether I post a show, or something like I've done here, I want people to express their honest opinions. It's still up to me to sort through and decide whether I think they're right. I agree with Andrzej that there is a tendency to post a show just to have your ego stroked. I remember once in a forum for Vegas Video where a very talented amateur videographer submitted a 10 minute show that was criticized for various reasons. None of the criticisms were mean or below the belt, and they all came from working videographers who were making a living at this. I was amazed by his angry responses to their critiques!

So, personally, I prefer honesty to false flattery.

Paul Holmes
Amateur cab driver
Amateur videographer
Amateur slide-show maker

I'm only here to learn from you geniuses!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:47 am

Paul wrote:So, personally, I prefer honesty to false flattery.

For that comment, I'll buy you a beer if/when we ever meet IRL, Paul.

Nice...

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:00 pm

Paul and Andrzej, you both said it extremely well.

And that's all she wrote or even needed to write.

Barbara

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:12 pm

BarbaraC wrote:And that's all she wrote or even needed to write.

I nominate Barbara as our resident "Curmudgeon in Training", and not just because she agrees with me. <heehee>

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:33 pm

I don't think she needs any training -- seems to fit in with you and I
just fine :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:44 pm

gpsmikey wrote:I don't think she needs any training -- seems to fit in with you and I
just fine :D

You have a point there, Mikey.

How about "Curmudgeon in Training Bra"? Naw....I think she's beyond that. :shock:

Excuse my weird sense of humour...one of those days today...

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:37 pm

Sorry, boys, but I already have a title: Princess Blabberpuss.

Barbara

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:13 pm

HRHPB wrote:Sorry, boys, but I already have a title: Princess Blabberpuss.

Far be it for me to argue that one, Princess!

Henceforth you shall be known as Her Royal Highness the "Princess Blabberpuss"! HRHPB for short, since we all like acronyms here.

(you may regret telling us this...) ;-)

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:25 pm

We are not amused. Well, maybe we are a wee bit, which when translated is wee-we.

HRHPB

Previous

Return to Photography