Nikon D40 VS D40X -

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Nikon D40 VS D40X -

Postby BJOertli » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:29 pm

I have been reading a lot of the posts discussing the Nikon and Canon. I currently have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-Z5 and it has been a great camera for me. I can get great action photos outdoors in bright light, but can't get anything noteworthy in a gym (ie. basketball). So, I do seem to miss a season of sporting events. I have read reviews and the more I read, the more confusing it is. I did see a review that photos taken with the lens package included with the Nikon's are better than that of the Canon Rebel XTI, but when it comes to action photos the Canon came out ahead. Also, is the 6 vs. 10 MP really something to consider when thinking of the D40 vs. D40X? Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am still trying to justify the upgrade for my needs and want to be sure I will really see a differance in low light action photos. :)
Bonnie
"In every work of genius we see our own rejected thoughts" ~Emerson

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:45 pm

I can't really compare the two, but I can give you a couple of general comments
that may help a bit. First, sports in gyms (especially at the school level) tend to
be VERY tough - the lighting is bad, and there is a lot of action. To get decent
shots, you need a lens that focuses fast, is big (low F-stop) to let in as much
light as possible and a camera that performs well at high ISO settings (at least
1600 if possible). The lens part of the equation usually translates to $$$ for
good glass. As far as the camera goes, as a general rule, the bigger the sensor
pixel size (physical size of the sensor), the better (less noise) performance you
get under those conditions. I'm not sure, but you may even find that a 8 megapixel
sensor would out perform a 10 or 12 megapixel sensor of the same physical size
because the individual pixels are bigger (so less noise). See if you can find someone
that has one you of the two you are looking at and will let you try it under those
conditions. Fast motion and low light is a real tough test. A pro sports arena
spends $$$ on lots of lights so it is better there - school gyms are quite a bit
darker.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

XaiLo

Postby XaiLo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:14 am

The kit lens that comes with the D40 is a very good lens in terms of picture quality. here is a link to some images from a Atlanta Hawks VS Dallas Mavericks game using only the kit lens no flash, I was really impressed with the results the D40 had no problem in stopping the action.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28957&page=9

That whole thread is dedicated to the D40. The 6MP VS 10MP option the dynamic range of the D40x is superior to that of the D40, however that does not detract from the D40 unless you are a pro wedding photographer this should not be an issue. I have printed a 20x30 print from a less than perfect image I was shooting in manual mode low low low lighting, image quality had nothing to do with the camera, the unnamed operator was the culprit. To top it off I only needed half of the image which was then blown up to 20x30 I was pretty much shocked when I saw the print. In no way did I expect it to look as good as it did and it was well recieved at the function for which it was intended. Most of the guys I know opted to pocket the difference and pick-up the new 55-200mm VR lens (VR= vibration reduction). 20x30 is a very large print also I print quite a few 12x18 prints with proper exposure and they are just wonderful. hth

Many Thanks

Postby BJOertli » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:08 am

Thank you both for your input. I rarely print anything over an 8 x 10 and even with my Panasonic, I have had some really great results at only 5MP. I have also noticed that the shots I get in the Pro Arenas (Timberwolves Games), are much better than in a "school gym"....maybe our community should pony up more tax dollars for better lighting!! :lol:
I appreciate hearing directly from those of you with personal experience, rather than a salesperson trying to "seal the deal"...so thanks again.
Bonnie

AF factor important??

Postby BJOertli » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:12 am

I also wanted to get an opinion as to whether or not the required AF lenses with the Nikon D40 and D40X would be a factor with someone who is NOT a photographer? I would assume that the AF lenses are higher priced, but not sure if this is an issue or not. Maybe it just depends on the ability of the operator?? :lol:

Thanks again.
Bonnie

Esteemed Member

Postby JC » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:05 am

dpreview.com is an excellent website for very organized reviews and comparisons.

claysand

Postby claysand » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:20 am

I have the D40X (only about a week) and so far I am pleased.

I also wanted to get an opinion as to whether or not the required AF lenses with the Nikon D40 and D40X would be a factor with someone who is NOT a photographer? I would assume that the AF lenses are higher priced, but not sure if this is an issue or not. Maybe it just depends on the ability of the operator??

They are a factor. This from dpreview.com:

Review based on a production Nikon D40X

Auto Focus only for AF-S or AF-I lenses
As with the D40 the D40X doesn't have an built-in focus drive motor which means it can auto focus only with lenses which have their own drive motor (AF-S and AF-I lenses). The lack of a drive motor can be seen by the missing mechanical focus drive pin on the lens mount

bdog

Re: AF factor important??

Postby bdog » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:07 am

BJOertli wrote:I also wanted to get an opinion as to whether or not the required AF lenses with the Nikon D40 and D40X would be a factor with someone who is NOT a photographer? I would assume that the AF lenses are higher priced, but not sure if this is an issue or not. Maybe it just depends on the ability of the operator?? :lol:

Thanks again.

yup. to shoot sports, especially basketball in a dim lit gym with manual lenses is a monumental test of talent, if you can follow focus, great!, otherwise go with AF lenses.

as mikey pointed out, you NEED fast glass and high iso. but it will be big bucks. the lens will be 2-10x the cost of a d40. (you can always rent them tho...)

also note that a great basketball lens, the nikon 85mm 1.4 lens will not work with d40 as it is a screw drive

so, figure how much you want to spend, go to local camera store with a flash card and pop it into the cameras/lens you are looking at buying. take some high iso shots in dim light (inside a bookcase/closet or the like) and compare the images when you get home...

here is somebody who has already done comparisons at high iso:
http://kenrockwell.com/tech/iso-compari ... /index.htm

there has been some good discussion here too:
http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?t=5765

bdog

XaiLo

Postby XaiLo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:40 pm

Everything comes with a price, no the D40 can not auto-focus the 50mm or 85mm. But then theres the flip side that does not seem to be brought up all to often in in the same sentence... Yes, on a D50 or D70 you can auto focus AF-I lenses but something that is not to well known to non-D40 users and Nikon has not promoted ISO 1600 is usable on a D40 and it has better high ISO perfomance than any of it's predecesors including the D200 and D80... the dynamic range of the D40x is comparible to Fuji's S series there's more than meets the eye with these entry level Nikons. Considering the 50mm 1.8 is soft wide open negates some of the speed advantage of the lens it is a great lens at a good price but not without it's own issues.

Depending on where you are sitting 50mm and 85mm maybe good for near courtside but beyond that you may not have enough reach. A fast lens does not always mean the proper lens. I also believe in the near future that Nikon will be replacing these with AF-S versions.

bdog

Postby bdog » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:34 am

XaiLo wrote: A fast lens does not always mean the proper lens. I also believe in the near future that Nikon will be replacing these with AF-S versions.

good points.

I sure hope Nikon will come out with fast upgraded AFS 24, 50 and 85 lenses... for that matter a 58 1.2 nocturnal would be nice too!

Also I am hoping that the new D3 will bridge the gap on Canon's edge on clean high ISO. I'll wait for the x.

It's been way too long.

bdog

XaiLo

Postby XaiLo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:12 am

Thanks bdog,

Yeah I'd like to see a couple of 1.2 lenses myself just for the option of shooting that fast, I'd like to see it in a wide angle and the 85mm... but with the new 14-24mm and the 24-70 which Nikon is touting as "good as primes". They've added VR to their new 18-55mm kit lens and VR in the new 55-200mm. Revamped superzooms so hopefully it's prime time (pun intended).

I'm looking forward to a D3 myself but from the looks of things the D3x just maybe out before you can get your hands on one. plus I still need to figure out a couple of things like where I can hide it from my SO. lol She might have an issue or two. From the pictures I've seen and from a couple of hands on reviews I changed my mind from the D300 to the D3 have you read dave black's review? I was full of Oohs and Aahs. lol These to were very good reading.

http://www.daveblackphotography.com/workshop/11-2007.htm

http://www.daveblackphotography.com/on-the-road/11-2007.htm

bdog

Postby bdog » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:01 pm

XaiLo wrote:I'm looking forward to a D3 myself

...and you have me to thank! I singlehandedly brought about the introduction of the D3....>g<

ya, it's true, having waited for years for a full frame D Nikon, i finally broke down this year thinking it was never going to happen and grabbed a D2xs on the way to the airport chasing a comet, sigh. (at least it wasn't the day before the news release!)

I was so dissapointed in the performance at lo light levels, i came close (shock) to buying a Canon.

hopefully the D3 series will give us what we need. If I had the dough, I would get both systems, but having so much Nikon glass, I stuck it out and it seems they are finally on the right track again.

bdog

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:32 pm

One thing that is somewhat "counter-intuitive" to many people is that
shooting school sporting events in a gym is MUCH more difficult than a pro-sport
(like pro basketball). People make the comment "I don't want to shoot
pro sports, just the kids" - the reality is the pro-sports are easier to get
good lighting in because they spend the big $$$ for those lights. Schools
don't have that kind of money to spend on lighting so it is typically much
darker in a school gym than a pro arena. Makes sense when you think
about it, but the first thought is usually along the lines of "the kids should
be easier".

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Thanks for all your input

Postby BJOertli » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:31 pm

I just want to say thank-you for all of your input. I really respect all of your opinions and knew that I would gain a lot more insight from this forum...I am always amazed (and appreciative) of the knowledge. My brother has a Canon with a number of quality lenses, so I might just borrow his and play around - it probably won't do much good to invest in a higher quality camera until I become a little more talented..and of course, at this point, I am hoping for some good "after the holiday rush" sales...so I will keep you all posted. Thanks again and have a wonderful holiday season.
Bonnie

Re: Thanks for all your input

Postby Yanis » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:56 pm

BJOertli wrote:I just want to say thank-you for all of your input. I really respect all of your opinions and knew that I would gain a lot more insight from this forum...I am always amazed (and appreciative) of the knowledge. My brother has a Canon with a number of quality lenses, so I might just borrow his and play around - it probably won't do much good to invest in a higher quality camera until I become a little more talented..and of course, at this point, I am hoping for some good "after the holiday rush" sales...so I will keep you all posted. Thanks again and have a wonderful holiday season.

Check out these sites:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ - mainly for Canon photogs but a very good resource.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/ - this site is more diverse.

Good luck!

Peace,
Yanis :D

Next

Return to Photography