Image Metadata

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
macman2006uk

Image Metadata

Postby macman2006uk » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:05 pm

Hi Everyone:
Just a thought that came to me.
As all my images I have now have metadata which was generated through the use of my digital cameras, given me (Camera/Focal Length/f-stops/Speed/Date).
I was a wondering that all of my images I have on my PC that I scanned in before the digital revolution started, is there any software available, that I could edit and implement my own metadata fields in these images.
Any help most grateful.

John Mac
John Robert McNally
Friday 07/December 2007
05:05am GMT

XaiLo

Postby XaiLo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:22 pm

You can try this site... found them through google they list several programs.

http://image-metadata.qarchive.org/

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:23 am

There are a number of ways to address the problem. Probably the simplest/cheapest
is the free Irfanview (which everybody should have anyway :D ) allows you to edit
the IPTC data for a scanned picture. I have IMatch for categorizing and organizing
pictures, but there are a number of different ones out there that will allow you to
edit the metadata as well as a host of other cool features. One thing worth checking
out for anyone who is interested in organizing their pictures, is the following thread
http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?p=33191 - check out
the DAM book (don't blame me - I had nothing to do with that name - stands for
Digital Asset Management). Dickk had pointed it out and the author has done a
lot of work on organizing and categorizing stuff. Worth taking a look at to get some
ideas.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:55 pm

gpsmikey wrote: ...Probably the simplest/cheapest is the free Irfanview (which everybody should have anyway :D ) allows you to edit the IPTC data for a scanned picture...

Two thumbs up on that! IrfanView is a super little program that does a lot including many basic editing functions and plays virtually any multimedia content known as long as you install the (also free) plug-ins. The other thing I like is that it installs independent of the registry so you can just copy the installed directory tree to a CD or removable media and run it from there.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

macman2006uk

Postby macman2006uk » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:53 pm

Cheers Mikey, XaiLo & DickK:
Thanks for your help, at the moment I have downloaded infranview & I am playing around with that, with also thoughts on downloading IMatch for my 30 day free trial to get the feel of that.
But also cheers Xailo as I am now looking at ImageProperties .NET 1.0 to see if that will edit & write the metadata fields that I want.
Cheers, a liitle to browse through and play with over the weekend in between my many other little jobs.
John Mac
John Robert McNally
UK
08 December 2007
04:53am GMT

macman2006uk

Postby macman2006uk » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:21 am

Hi Everyone:
Well I downloaded and have kept Infranview, it comes in great to organsise my images.
But also I got from Microsoft a metadata software which is very easy to use, called "photo info" once downloaded you can edit metadata by right clicking on an image or select all and right click on batch of images and update metadata.
I have went through all my images in batches and updated all my metadata.
Only one thing I wish it could do is update all my scanned images (To Edit & Input Camera Info) from when I used to use none digital cameras.
But I suppose you cant have everything, unless anyone knows of a way to input Camera Model & ISO metadata Info.
Cheers:
John Mac
Sunday 09 December 2007
11:22 am GMT

XaiLo

Postby XaiLo » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:26 am

Try Exif Pilot Pro 3

Download.com link

macman2006uk

Postby macman2006uk » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:56 am

Cheers Xailo:
This will work fine I downloaded it and it has everything I need, editing limitations on trial version.
But if I decide to use it it will cost $39.95.
Will try to find any freeware that does the same thing if not I will purchase.
It is just what I am looking for.

John Mac
UK
Sunday 09 December 2007
17:57 hrs GMT

XaiLo

Postby XaiLo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:05 am

No worries mate :)

XaiLo

Postby XaiLo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:22 am

macman2006uk, OK try this link.

reveal 1.2 opensoure

macman2006uk

Postby macman2006uk » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:30 am

Cheers XaiLo:
Thanks for finding this neat little tool "Reveal".
It is great with all the help you get from this forum, someone is always there to help.

Well tomorrow 11 December I have had my PSG for 1 year, so strongly thinking about upgrade to PSP. think it is around $199, with my 1 year loyalty.
An extra large learning curve for this.
John Mac
John R McNally
10 December 2007
19:30hrs GMT

XaiLo

Postby XaiLo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:20 pm

Good Luck and enjoy. :)

Return to Photography