Camera question

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Re: Camera question

Postby Yanis » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:00 pm

czali wrote:I am considering a DSLR for Christmas and would like your thoughts. I've narrowed it down to either the Nikon D40, D40x or the Canon Rebel XT, XTi. As most of you know, I am not a photographer but have always had interest in the subject. This would be for general personal use but would like the features/flexibility as I develop a new hobby. Is the $100 difference worth the increase in megapixels?

Thanks in advance,

Colleen

Greetings Colleen,

I may be too late but I thought I'd share two sites that you may find helpful.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ - mainly for Canon photogs but a very good resource.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/ - this site is more diverse.

Good luck!

Peace,
Yanis :D

XaiLo

Postby XaiLo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:24 am

XaiLo wrote:You will find nikonians site helpful also.
http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:31 am

Colleen:

Some of your decision should depend on how serious you think you might get about your photography. If it's more of a casual thing (meaning you won't be investing in a large inventory of lenses and accessories), then either the Nikon or Canon will do a fine job. Changing to a different label down the road, if you are a casual photographer won't be that big of a deal.

That being said, if you think you might get more serious about your photography, then you are buying into a "system". As your inventory of lenses grows it gets harder and more expensive to switch brands. At this level, trying out each of the cameras in person, to see how they "feel", how they fit your hands, and the like is important as well, since changing habits after years with a particular ergonomic layout is not that much fun and takes a while.

The real limit to the photography with any of the rigs you are considering will be the eye behind the camera and not the equipment itself, so don't agonize over it too much....get a camera and start taking lots of shots!
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Tarafrost wrote:... to see how they "feel", how they fit your hands, and the like is important as well, since changing habits after years with a particular ergonomic layout is not that much fun and takes a while.

To me, at least, this may be the most under rated factor in making the choice. It's quite subjective so you can't trust what a reviewer says (and many avoid the issue entirely). Although when I abandoned my film SLRs I decided not go with a DSLR, I couldn't go down to a compact camera--just the wrong feel. Everyone else in my family thinks my camera is too big and bulky but it fits my hands and it feels like a lighter weight version of my old SLRs.

Tarafrost wrote:The real limit to the photography with any of the rigs you are considering will be the eye behind the camera and not the equipment itself, so don't agonize over it too much....get a camera and start taking lots of shots!

So very true! As much as we'd like to believe that the camera is the limiting factor, it rarely is.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:49 pm

Dick wrote:To me, at least, this may be the most under rated factor in making the choice. It's quite subjective so you can't trust what a reviewer says (and many avoid the issue entirely). Although when I abandoned my film SLRs I decided not go with a DSLR, I couldn't go down to a compact camera--just the wrong feel. Everyone else in my family thinks my camera is too big and bulky but it fits my hands and it feels like a lighter weight version of my old SLRs.

I like Michael Reichmann's reviews on Luminous Landscape ( www.luminous-landscape.com ) for just that reason. He focuses a lot on the ergonomics. Things like being able to shoot with gloves on (sometimes thick ones, up here in snow country where I live), or whether the 3rd leg of the exposure triad, namely ISO, is as easily changed as aperture and shutter speed. He's been a Canon shooter for decades, so that limited the usefulness of his reviews for me, since I'm too steeped in Nikon to change, but now he's acquired a new D3 (which I lust after!) and a D300 with a kit bag of lenses, so I'm looking forward to some Nikon oriented commentary from Michael.
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

Postby czali » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:39 pm

Thank you to everyone for all your advice. We ended up going with the Nikon D40. My husband was partial to the Nikon b/c he has an old Nikon FM from his father. I guess sometimes the brand does mean something. I also took the advice of holding the cameras and seeing how they felt. We are happy so far with our purchase. I must say my husband has always been a better shot then I. He is already talking about the lens he would like to buy. I just need to recover from the holiday.

Thanks again to you all,

Colleen

XaiLo

Postby XaiLo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:11 pm

Congrats on the new camera and hope it serves you well :)

Previous

Return to Photography