Camera question

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Camera question

Postby hiloduffer35 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:54 am

There are so many of you using so many different cameras, I thought maybe someone could answer this question. Are there any digital cameras out there that use a bayonet mount lens? I have several thousand dollars in lenses for "old fashion" Minolta Maxxum and older camers and would like to be able to use them on a digital camera. I know how to manually focus, DUH! ...but haven't located a camera or an adapter so that I can use these lenses. Any info will be appreciated. HAPPY THANKSGIVING to those of you in the U.S. of A. and HAPPY whatever to the rest of you.
Elizabeth

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:54 am

"Funny" you would ask about that. I've got a bunch of Minolta lenses as well and wondered the same thing. I found nothing and ended up selling off my 35mm gear--got next to nothing for it but at least its not collecting dust in the closet.

The problem that proved fatal in my case isn't just the mount, it's the electronics built into the lenses that go with the digital SLRs. As far as I could figure out, even if I could make the lens fit, the camera would (choose one or more): not function at all, function badly, only work in full manual mode. I kept waiting for Minolta to release a DSLR that might use the lenses at least for full manual but of course they were bought out so there's little chance now.

Not the story you're looking for -- you're far from alone wanting it but I fear there's no easy way to get there.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Esteemed Member

Postby JC » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:02 pm

I used my $35 slide rule for 10...maybe 15 years. Computers in the $K range last about 2-3 years, in fact, I've probably spent nearly as much on computers and associated stuff as I did on my first house. I'm on my third digital and looking to move to a fourth. The lens story is a heartbreaker, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:52 pm

Yeah, I still have my Minolta stuff too XG-SE, X-700 cameras (in fact, I still
have my old SR-7 that I bought back in the mid 60's). Near as I can tell, none
of the stuff works with the new digital stuff except possibly in full manual mode.
Maybe I'll run a roll of film through one of these days just to remember what
it was all about ... in fact, maybe B/W and see if the old darkroom still works!!

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Filter

Postby hiloduffer35 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:56 am

Since I can put a filter (polarizer, in my case) on my current digital, maybe we could devise an adapter that will let us add another lense! A shame to let all that go to waste and it would be interesting to see what would happen w/a lense on top of a lense!!! Oh well..... guess we are all in the same boat and Mikey, I intend to use my Maxxum to take some night football pix - the digitals just don't seem to do a very good job ---- too fancy! Don't want to set up the darkroom again, though - just too expensive and time consuming, although I loved doing the processing and printing.
Elizabeth

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:22 am

I have a friend who, a few years ago, bought a Fuji D-SLR specifically because it could accept his old Nikon lenses. I think some of the Canon lenses fit on some of their digitals too. It would seem that one's luck with old lenses depends on which camera and lenses they used. I have a Konica with some rather nice lenses that would do nothing but create enormous vignettes on my camera--if I could even attach them, that is.

Barbara

Re: Filter

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:28 am

hiloduffer35 wrote:Since I can put a filter (polarizer, in my case) on my current digital, maybe we could devise an adapter that will let us add another lense! A shame to let all that go to waste and it would be interesting to see what would happen w/a lense on top of a lense!!! Oh well..... guess we are all in the same boat and Mikey, I intend to use my Maxxum to take some night football pix - the digitals just don't seem to do a very good job ---- too fancy! Don't want to set up the darkroom again, though - just too expensive and time consuming, although I loved doing the processing and printing.
Elizabeth

Ah, the darkroom -- the smell of stop bath that would curl your nose hairs .. dropping the reel
as you were loading the film in the dark and having it roll off across the floor (and especially
the fun different types of B/W film you could get in 100' rolls to play with - Kodak High Contrast Copy
was a favorite - ASA 64, Panchromatic and if you were off 1/2 stop either side the film was
either clear or black - but it was perfect for aerial photography that is typically very flat).

Make sure you get the right polarizer for your digital - most of them need a circular
polarizer to avoid confusing the camera. You can use some of your lenses for macro
stuff etc with the right adapters. Alcain has posted several things on using a bellows
and a reversing ring to get some great macro shots.

I notice we have a new subject area ! (or if Barbara and I are in it, maybe it is
an attempt to contain us ?? :lol: )

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:49 am

I hated developing film and always handed it off to my husband when I could because he's better at staring at walls and humming. I never wound film from those hundred-footers on right the first time, and had to redo it. Sometimes I didn't know it was on wrong. The darkroom is in the basement, and the mice would taunt me, scrabbling around above the plastic sheeting used to cover the bare ceiling. All-in-all, I don't miss the darkroom except for that one moment when the photograph starts to emerge.

Princess Blabbermouth and the Prince of Hip Boots can NOT be contained.

Barbara

Where is it?

Postby hiloduffer35 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:23 pm

Mickey, do you happen to know where the alcain info is posted?
Elizabeth

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:33 pm

This is what I was thinking of .. http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?p=34553

mikey

Postby nannybear » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:35 am

BarbaraC wrote:Princess Blabbermouth and the Prince of Hip Boots can NOT be contained.

Barbara

I think I read the forum as much to "listen" to you and Mikey as for content. You guys crack me up! hugs Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

giepers

Re: Camera question

Postby giepers » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:07 pm

hiloduffer35 wrote:There are so many of you using so many different cameras, I thought maybe someone could answer this question. Are there any digital cameras out there that use a bayonet mount lens? I have several thousand dollars in lenses for "old fashion" Minolta Maxxum and older camers and would like to be able to use them on a digital camera. I know how to manually focus, DUH! ...but haven't located a camera or an adapter so that I can use these lenses. Any info will be appreciated. HAPPY THANKSGIVING to those of you in the U.S. of A. and HAPPY whatever to the rest of you.
Elizabeth

I live in So. Cal, but I would call Samys Camera in Los Angeles, or Calumet. Since Minolta is out of business (at least the camera end) it might be hard to find the parts you need. I’m a photographer and started my career with Minolta camera’s, but got lucky and switched to Canon before my Minolta investment got too heavy. I was able to find an adapter that fit on to my Minolta Lens, that allowed me to connect to my Canon camera’s. This was is the 1980’s. I’m still a working photographer but I work primarily with Canon digital equipment now. I SERIOUSLY doubt that you’ll find such a connector now. If you did, I know it would not be compatible with modern cameras. With any luck all the electronics in todays cameras will not have an issue with a good ol fashion analog lens. I appreciate where your coming from, but I think your gonna be hard pressed to work this out. You can always keep shooting film, and having your lab scan and deliver on CD. It’s not an SLR, but I have my eye on Canons G7 & G9 (shoot in RAW mode), they excel the digital rebels in processor, and image quality. Very impressive little cameras. Huge telefocus too, something like 28 to 210, but don’t quote me on that.

Re: Camera question

Postby bbtracker » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:19 pm

hiloduffer35 wrote:There are so many of you using so many different cameras, I thought maybe someone could answer this question. Are there any digital cameras out there that use a bayonet mount lens? I have several thousand dollars in lenses for "old fashion" Minolta Maxxum and older camers and would like to be able to use them on a digital camera. I know how to manually focus, DUH! ...but haven't located a camera or an adapter so that I can use these lenses. Any info will be appreciated. HAPPY THANKSGIVING to those of you in the U.S. of A. and HAPPY whatever to the rest of you.
Elizabeth

Check this link: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/

I believe the Sony Alpha DSLR will take that Minolta bayonet mount lens.

Enjoy.

Conrado
My Websites:
-----------------------
www.caunan.com
www.philcanam.com
www.definingmoments.us
-----------------------------

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:41 pm

Good info! Here's a bit more:

Okay, now let's talk about accessories, starting with lenses. If a lens worked on the Maxxum 5D or 7D then it'll work here too. If you have an older Minolta lens then you'll want to check with Sony support to see if it works.

From here: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/ ... 00-review/

That wouldn't have helped me because my lenses predated the Maxxum series.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Esteemed Member

Postby nwenban » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:37 pm

Hi Elizabeth,

I have a Minolta 5D (Dynax/Maxxum depending on where in the world you are)

The new Sony Alpha has the same lens mount as the KM. I've dug up a few links on this subject so may assist you.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-99.html
http://www.rokkorfiles.com/Lens%20History.html
http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

My suggestion would be to grab one of your lens' & pay a visit to a local camera store that carries the Sony & suggest to the sales person that you are thinking of buying if you can still utilize your existing lens.

Neville

Next

Return to Photography