Looking for a Monopod

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Re: Looking for a Monopod

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:15 am

ginger wrote:Barbara, the stringpod is definitely a great thing to just keep in your purse so that you always have it. I don't have one but I think I need to get or make one.

Ginger, they're really a snap to make: either a standard 1/4-inch bolt with a #20 thread plus cord tied to it, or the kind with a hook (same size for the screw-in part)...plus cord tied to it. I happened to have extra cord lying around from a shade or something of that ilk, and it's what I used. As far as I know, it's always been a DIY project, not something you could buy.

The other thing people make are "beanpods," which are simply beanbags large enough to nestle the camera into. Great for stabilizing a camera on ledges, rocks, tree branches, and such: Sew together 2 squares of cloth on three sides, empty a bag of dried beans into it, and sew up the fourth side.

Barbara

P.S. YouTube is driving me nuts. They've been slowly but surely changing the codes for lots of things. I now have to alter the code for all videos on my site so they'll go back to not showing "related" videos at the end. Grrr.
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby debngar » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:42 am

-snip-
Debby, thanks for the info on your model. The feet do seem like a good option. I'm going to check to see how much weight they add. I'd like to keep it light and portable, but stability is important too.

-snip-

ginger

If I were to choose over again with what's available, I would go for a monopod with those types of legs for the flexibility feature as mine don't flex at all. Checking B&H, several models have those legs. Some come with a head, some don't, some hold a heavier amount of equipment. Manfrotto apparently has a rebate going on until June 15th. Benro makes separate legs to put on their monopods but that item isn't listed on B&H. Too bad I can't retrofit my Manfrotto to put those legs on it. :| It would be worth $50 for that feature IMO.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby ginger » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:50 am

Thanks for letting us know about the rebate.

ginger

Postby debngar » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:51 am

BarbaraC wrote:-snip-

P.S. YouTube is driving me nuts. They've been slowly but surely changing the codes for lots of things. I now have to alter the code for all videos on my site so they'll go back to not showing "related" videos at the end. Grrr.

I put off changing to the new YT format until yesterday as user are now forced to make that change by tomorrow. I don't mind it too much but that means I have to figure out how to redesign the channel and assign a nice header image to my channel which is a challenge. They state the need for certain dimensions so it's viewable on mobile devices as well as desktop machines, etc. But finding a good photo of mine that I like and works nicely within the aspect of those dimensions is the problem.

So far, it looks like my embedded YT videos on my blog aren't affected, thankfully. I just did a quick check of the last one I posted to my blog and no related video stuff is showing at the end.
Debbie

Postby debngar » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:00 am

ginger wrote:Thanks for letting us know about the rebate.

ginger

Since Benro offers similar monopods in competition with Manfrotto it could be they have something very similar in a lesser price range. I'm not familiar with that brand in how it compares to Manfrotto though.
Debbie

Previous

Return to Photography