Wind up camera pan

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Wind up camera pan

Postby tdew » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:11 am

I just saw this creative use of a wind up timer and thought others would like it too.

http://www.instructables.com/id/wind-up-camera-pan/

Re: Wind up camera pan

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:29 am

Ah, glad to see someone else that hangs out places I like to frequent (Instructables for one). Interesting project although the first thing that came to mind was evident when I saw the video - murphy's law says that anything that can happen will and in this case, you don't get a real smooth set of images due to the steps in the timer motion, but it is definitely a decent solution for someone needing that kind of motion on a limited budget. Actually, in thinking about it a bit (haven't had my coffee yet this morning), probably part of the problem is the slop in the linkage and that could be minimized by using a low tension rubber band to "pre-load" the rotation (not strong enough to stop/speed up the timer though).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Re: Wind up camera pan

Postby tdew » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:23 am

Mikey, I wondered if the timer would need to be anchored to something so the camera wouldn't pull it over?
My son puts things up on instructables often, so I'm on their email list. Many times there are fun things there - and other times you wonder why anyone bothered.

Return to Photography