Switch to full style
Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Post a reply

Tough rugged compact cameras?

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:32 am

And another one bites the dust - literaly.

I tend to use cameras out and about, and they get a lot of exposure to the elements, such as wind rain, dirt dust and so on, my curent compact after survivng getting rained on, dropped onto various surfaces, and a few other things that it wasnt designed to withstand has finaly met its match - dust behind the lens, in each and every photo there is now a a few blobs, i can see the dust/marks inside the lens but i am unable to get to it as the lens assembly is both hard to get to, and without dis assmebling it any further it looks equaly hard to re-assemble, if not impossible.

so with all that, can any one recomend a dust proof/water proof compact camera that doesnt cost alot ( £150 ish ) and soent look like a childs toy ?

Re: Tough rugged compact cameras?

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:23 am

Hi,
I have a sony cybershot DSC-TX10 that I bought to trek with after beating up several compacts in less than a year. Dust proof, water proof, drop proof - all with limits of course. Can say personally it has survived rainy days, a dip or two in the river, dropped from my hand to cement pathway (has a little mark on the corner it hit on from that), dropped about 15 feet down a cliff (no bounces on that trip) and lots of dust blowing.
Have had it at least 2 years and love it. Not sure about the exchange of the pound to US dollar, but think it should be in the range.

Enjoy all!
Cathy

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:13 pm

I was looking for one a while back for my wife (her old Canon Power Shot A640 went up in smoke ... literally (it got wet in the rain and I think it was the flash circuit that went - she said there was smoke coming out of it). The one I found that looked interesting you might want to check out is the Pentax WG-2 - I have not played with it, but it seems to get mostly good comments from what I saw. There are a couple of models - one has GPS - here is a link to the one with the GPS - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... amera.html
(we still have not replaced her dead one).

mikey

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:57 am

I have a Panasonic TS20, and other than the fact that the shots are a little soft, works well.
Post a reply