Tough rugged compact cameras?

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Esteemed Member

Tough rugged compact cameras?

Postby Richard_T » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:32 am

And another one bites the dust - literaly.

I tend to use cameras out and about, and they get a lot of exposure to the elements, such as wind rain, dirt dust and so on, my curent compact after survivng getting rained on, dropped onto various surfaces, and a few other things that it wasnt designed to withstand has finaly met its match - dust behind the lens, in each and every photo there is now a a few blobs, i can see the dust/marks inside the lens but i am unable to get to it as the lens assembly is both hard to get to, and without dis assmebling it any further it looks equaly hard to re-assemble, if not impossible.

so with all that, can any one recomend a dust proof/water proof compact camera that doesnt cost alot ( £150 ish ) and soent look like a childs toy ?

Re: Tough rugged compact cameras?

Postby psychogramma » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:23 am

Hi,
I have a sony cybershot DSC-TX10 that I bought to trek with after beating up several compacts in less than a year. Dust proof, water proof, drop proof - all with limits of course. Can say personally it has survived rainy days, a dip or two in the river, dropped from my hand to cement pathway (has a little mark on the corner it hit on from that), dropped about 15 feet down a cliff (no bounces on that trip) and lots of dust blowing.
Have had it at least 2 years and love it. Not sure about the exchange of the pound to US dollar, but think it should be in the range.

Enjoy all!
Cathy

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:13 pm

I was looking for one a while back for my wife (her old Canon Power Shot A640 went up in smoke ... literally (it got wet in the rain and I think it was the flash circuit that went - she said there was smoke coming out of it). The one I found that looked interesting you might want to check out is the Pentax WG-2 - I have not played with it, but it seems to get mostly good comments from what I saw. There are a couple of models - one has GPS - here is a link to the one with the GPS - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... amera.html
(we still have not replaced her dead one).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby Merlin_AZ » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:57 am

I have a Panasonic TS20, and other than the fact that the shots are a little soft, works well.

Return to Photography