Step-Down adapter

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Honorary ProShow PHD

Step-Down adapter

Postby stickgirl » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:24 am

I'm hoping someone can clear up my confusion. I was fairly certain I wanted to purchase step-down adapters, until I started using the net for advice. :oops: The more I read, the more confused I became.

I recently purchased a new camera. The thread size on one lens is 58mm and the other is 67mm. My existing filters are all 52mm.

So, if the thread size on the lens is larger than the filter size, I want to step down, correct?

Thanks,

Kathy

Re: Step-Down adapter

Postby debngar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:01 am

stickgirl wrote:I'm hoping someone can clear up my confusion. I was fairly certain I wanted to purchase step-down adapters, until I started using the net for advice. :oops: The more I read, the more confused I became.

I recently purchased a new camera. The thread size on one lens is 58mm and the other is 67mm. My existing filters are all 52mm.

So, if the thread size on the lens is larger than the filter size, I want to step down, correct?

Thanks,

Kathy

I have a 77mm filter that I sometimes use on a 58mm size lens. The adaptor is called a 58mm-77mm. I doubt you could put a smaller filter on a larger lens. I would think you'll be needing to buy a new set of filters that match the largest lens and then buy adaptors to fit them to your smaller size lenses.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby debngar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:08 am

Forgot to say that step up or step down... those words don't even show up on the small box my adaptor came with. It just says, "adaptor 58mm-77mm". The important thing, it seems to me, is that the filter is either the same size as the lens or is larger and then used with the adaptor to fit a smaller opening on a different lens. Hope that makes sense.
Debbie

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks for the reply Debbie. I think I found what I need at Adorama.

They offer a step-down adapter ring 67mm to 52mm filter size. "It allows you to use smaller size filters on lenses with a larger diameter thread. The first number is the size that screws into the lens, the second number is the filter size. Step " Down" Rings May Cause Vignetting."

At $6.95, I'll take my chances on it. It is much cheaper than a new Circular Polarizer.

Thanks again,
Kathy

Postby debngar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:40 am

Glad you found what you wanted for your set up. I've not used a step down due to the reduction of the useable area of the image. To compensate for that, frame your shots wider than you would normally.

The time I last bought some filters, I think I waited too close to fall season to find them at B&H or Adorama where I've purchased stuff in the past. They were all sold out. I went online to 2filter.com in NH instead. They were recommended by a local landscape photographer and journalist who works for the local newspaper and has been doing annual leaf peeping reports for a number of years. They may not be the least expensive but they had terrific customer service and were helpful in answering my questions.

If you're planning a leaf peeping trip, I'm looking forward to seeing a show of your photos. I'm hoping to have some time again this year to make plans for a couple of day trips. I love the beautiful fall colors! :D
Debbie

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:42 pm

Personally, I would not use a filter smaller than the lens. If I had a 58mm and 67mm filter diameter lenses, I would either get one of each or for expensive filters, buy the bigger one then consider an adapter down to the smaller diameter lens. There are a number of negative things about putting a "restriction" on the front of the lens, but I can't think of any positives.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm with Mikey here -- even if it can be done, it's not a good idea and I would never suggest putting a smaller filter on a lens. Unless you're going for a deliberate vignette effect, I don't think you'll like the result.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Return to Photography