management

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Re: management

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:05 am

After getting Lightroom 3 and viewing a bunch of tutorials on it, I have discovered an issue that anybody considering using it needs to be aware of. If you use Photoshop for editing your images and keep the masters as a .psd files, unless you have the "maximize compatibility" option turned on in Photoshop (which people had been saying to turn off), Lightroom can't see the images in the file. So, if you have a bunch of psd images you have created and want to include them in your Lightroom catalog, you will have to go back and re-save the .psd files with that option turned on (that significantly increases the file size) or save them in a different format (I am finding that people are saying you should save in .tif format these days instead of .psd for a number of reasons). Anyway, just thought I would mention this issue if you use .psd files and Lightroom that Lightroom can't see the image to include it in the catalog.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Ron » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:10 pm

I just wanted to add here, that before I had Lightroom, I was never, ever able to organize my photos. I have since got everything organized, tagged with keywords, and love the program for for editing and use it for printing also. Yes, it is not free, but if you are a photographer, and take literally thousands of photos in a year, it really is worth it

I couldn't have said it any better, Lightroom was designed by photographers for photographer and organizing/categorizing is what it does best. It was mentioned that the big jump was to LR3 but don't be fooled the improvements in LR4 are well worth the upgrade over 3. Each development slider has been improved and your photos will just look better IMHO. B&H & Journeys Ed http://www.journeyed.com/item/Adobe/Pho ... om/1533485 both have LR4 student/teacher edition for $79 so if you could take advantage of their sale it is well worth the price. The learning curve isn't bad either :D
Good Luck!!
Last edited by Ron on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:13 pm

Be aware that according to the requirements listed on the Adobe site, LR4 requires Vista or better (XP is not listed as supported).

Mikey (who now has a copy of LR4 sitting on his shelf until he manages to upgrade to W7 (still XP Pro))
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby chezeury » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:53 am

I'm on Win 7, but I'm going to wait to upgrade for a bit, as there are issues with the tone curve in Lightroom 4, that affect all custom point curve adjustments made in Lightroom 3; Lightroom 4 resets to these custom point to the camera's default. As a user of the point curves, this is important to me so I'm going to wait until it is resolved; they are working on it. For people that have never used Lightroom before, there will not be this problem.
To see my slideshows visit:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chezeury
my photography can be seen at:
http://www.maggieterlecki.com

Postby Magmatic » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:10 pm

An alternative to Lightroom might be Phase One Media Pro 1. It used to be called iView, which was very good, I've read. I have not tried it, but I might. iMatch, I did not know about. I'm also interested in looking into that too.
David Shuford

Previous

Return to Photography