New camera (DSLR or equivalent)

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Valued Member

New camera (DSLR or equivalent)

Postby jskintauy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:47 am

Hi All,

After 6 years my trusty Nikon D50 is giving up the ghost. I have a couple of nice Nikon lenses, but I am considering going with another brand. I want to a camera that does a great job with video. I find myself doing more and more video with a camcorder and want to take it further. Panasonic makes a 4/3 lense system camera called a GH2 that is well thought of for this purpose. Does anyone here have any experience with it? This isn't going to be cheap, so I want to find out if there is some great reason not to look at this. BTW - I will be able to adapt my existing lenses.

Jim
Jim S

Re: New camera (DSLR or equivalent)

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:35 pm

While I have not played with video from my DSLR (Nikon D300s) much, the newer ones are supposed to be much better. What I would suggest doing is visiting some of the video forums (like the Sony Vegas ones or Adobe Premiere etc). See what folks there think - you can bet they have been playing with the video aspects of these cameras. One of the issues with my D300s was how poorly the autofocus worked in the video mode but I have not done much with it. I have heard they have gotten much better (all of them) as far as being able to track focus on moving subjects (not a lot of people shoot a lot of video of stationary objects :twisted: ) You might also want to check out the Nikonians forums - I have not been over there for a while, but there should be some interesting information there as well.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby tomdavis » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Jim: Many places to go on web and check out things. I have found that Ken Rockwell is a very good place to start: www.kenrockwell.com

Tom

Valued Member

Postby DanMac » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:14 pm

Another good place for input is here http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/. I have read reviews there for a long time. Hope it helps.

Dan
Dan

Esteemed Member

Postby Jim Adams » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:16 pm

Nikon's got two new cameras coming out. You may want to re-consider.
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikonD800/

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:25 pm

My wife caught me looking at the new ad for the D800 and threatened to take my VISA card away :twisted: Looks pretty nice though (full frame sensor, $2500 or so for the body).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Valued Member

Postby jskintauy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:21 am

Yeah, I still haven't purchased. I really want to test this camera and I found a firm about 100 miles away that has one available for rental. I am planning on going the 25th. Fortunately, $2500 is over my budget, but the D800 looks mighty tempting. Unfortunately, I would need additional lenses to support the full frame sensor. Thanks so much for all the good advice so far!

Jim
Jim S

Esteemed Member

Postby Merlin_AZ » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:19 pm

The pre-orders are actually at $3K for the D800.

Return to Photography