Looking for a good quality "pocket" camera.

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Esteemed Member

Looking for a good quality "pocket" camera.

Postby jacktar » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:21 pm

For photography I normaly use my Nikon D200 camera. But sometimes I wish I had a smaller camera that would go easely into my pocket. This would be more easy to carry around for everyday use.
Is there anyone out there that can give any adwice what to look for, What I am after is of course the best combination of qality and price. A camera that is to be used mainly for taking pictures to be used in proshow.

Best regards
jacktar

Re: Looking for a good quality "pocket" camera.

Postby debngar » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:57 pm

I would check c/net camera reviews/comparisons for the price/size/features you're looking for. I've referred to that a number of times. Sometimes they provide an up close video review of the product which is better than just looking at a picture of the front and back and a list of features, etc.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras ... r;brandnav

Other members may have other ideas though. :roll:
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby Amazing.Edna » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:36 pm

You may want to review http://www.steves-digicams.com/best-cameras.html
before making a decision.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:13 pm

There are lots of good ones but I've had good experience with the Canon Powershot 'A' series over the years. We've got two of them, I've given two others to my kids and several friends have them. All have performed well and their users (including me) seem happy with them. That's what I carry when I travel light and don't want to carry my other SLR-sized cameras.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Esteemed Member

Postby Jim Adams » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:59 am

There is no easy answer. You really must ask yourself what features you cannot live without and what you don't mind sacrificing.
Do you like a viewfinder or is "Live View" LCD acceptable ?
What about that dreaded lag time (the fraction of a second lost between pressing the shutter button and capturing the photo) ?

Here is yet another review site that has all the technical specs (and more) from most cameras out there.

http://www.dpreview.com/

Esteemed Member

Postby jacktar » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:13 am

DickK wrote:There are lots of good ones but I've had good experience with the Canon Powershot 'A' series over the years. We've got two of them, I've given two others to my kids and several friends have them. All have performed well and their users (including me) seem happy with them. That's what I carry when I travel light and don't want to carry my other SLR-sized cameras.
Dick

Thank you DickK
What model of the A series do you use? or What would your choyse be if you should buy a "budget" camera from the A series?

Postby tomdavis » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:49 pm

Jacktar:

You have some good direction to web's above by forum members. Another good one is: kenrockwell.com. I find he is pretty much up to date on cameras as they come out and gives you suggestions for better setting in getting good quality photo's from your camers.

I use a nice DSLR Nikon but found I needed a smaller pocket sized camera to catch those unexpected shots while out and about. I have stuck to the Canon Powershot series. Ken will suggest your best "point and shoot" cameras.

I know the process time is longer but I understand what type of camera I am using and can deal with it. I have produced some nice shots with my Canon point and shoot camera. My photo magazine had an article on point and shoot cameras and told how good shots you can get with them. Of course everyone has a software picture processing program, such as PhotoShop, etc., that saves the day.

One thing you will find about these point and shoot cameras now is they lack a View Finder. Do not know why that is. The reason I purchased my Canon point and shoot is they do not have a nose that sticks out all of the time but retracts and you have a flat camera you can put in your pocket.

Hope this gives you some helpful information.

Tom

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:20 pm

Any in the line would probably be fine--all the ones we've got are off the market. Over the last 5+ years we've used a variety of them. Currently the A800 or the A1200 are most like what we've got. But I agree with the others, check around using one or more of those as targets: check reviews and check what competes with them. There are tons of good cameras on the market of that type and price range.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby ginger » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:13 am

Another thing you might want to consider is that a lot of the new pocket cameras have HD video as part of their features. This is something I think I'll be looking for in my next pocket camera, just to be prepared for unexpected video ops as well.

ginger

Postby Oldguy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:41 am

I really like my Canon Powershot SD870 IS
It is small, 8 Megapixels, 4.6 - 17.3mm 1:2.8-5.8
And it takes video with sound.

Forrest

Postby HunnyB » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:18 am

I just carry my new iPhone 4s :lol:
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby debngar » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:59 am

IMO buy one with a viewfinder because else you can't see the LCD screen to take pictures in bright sunlight.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Esteemed Member

Postby jacktar » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:06 pm

Thank you so much to ALL OF YOU for for all your adwices and guidance :D
Like some of you said: " there are tons of good cameras on the marked" and that is sometimes the problem. There is to much choice, and your answers "zoomed" in a bit and gave me some good links to look at. Another reason why I asked for help on this forum is that we all are using Proshow. and that this also will reflect on the choice of camera. If I asked the same question on another type of forum, the answers might have been different.
Well, now I go back and search for my new pocket camera :D
Best regards to you all :D
jacktar

Return to Photography