Digital Photo Creation

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Digital Photo Creation

Postby William McMahon » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:26 am

Digital Still Photographs

Date Created, Date Modified, Date Accessed

Which of these is the date the photo was actually taken? I am using a Canon Rebel XSi and when I review older photos it is helpful information. The date created seems to be the obvious answer but it is not always the earliest date of the dates included in the individual photo properties.

Bill

Re: Digital Photo Creation

Postby Barkingmad » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:53 am

The date the photo was taken will be in the EXIF data.
Shaz BMad
"Confusion is a word we have invented for an order which is not yet understood." Henry Mille

Postby dsprincis » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:27 pm

If you're referring to windows explorer, then "date taken" or just plain "date" will show the date that the picture was taken. At least that works for me.
Darlene

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Barkingmad wrote:The date the photo was taken will be in the EXIF data.

Assuming the camera was set to the correct date :twisted: :twisted:
If you are not familiar with the free utility Irfanview, you should grab a copy - it allows all sorts of basic stuff as well as viewing the EXIF and other data in the headers of the images. http://www.irfanview.com

One thing I do with all my pictures is to rename them when I import them from the camera with a utility that names them according to the date/time stamp in the EXIF header (I also include which camera took the picture so it is easy to sort my daughters images from my wife's images and mine (they all get put on my main system and backed up nightly to a Linux server so I have multiple copies of all images on different hardware).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:16 pm

William McMahon wrote:Digital Still Photographs
Date Created, Date Modified, Date Accessed
Which of these is the date the photo was actually taken?
l

Okay, let's get real specific because the only one-size-fits-all answer is "it depends". If experience and memory serves, here's the deal:

First it depends on which version of Windows you're using. In WinXP the default in the details view is NOT date taken. However, you can have it display that by right clicking on the bar at the top and selecting that as a displayed field, then sort on it.

If you're using Win7 and the folder is one that Windows has set up for photos then the 'date' field is, indeed, the date taken with the option to add those other dates.

Now, Mikey's answer is the best one of all -- to heck with what Windows (and other apps) chooses to show, get the EXIF date-taken values out there in the file name and pretty much all the issues go away. Like him, I use IrfanView's batch renaming function (but there are lots of others that work fine) to end up with filenames that are:

YYYY MM DD [camera identifier] [original number]

I don't use minutes/seconds but you can which if you get images from multiple cameras would help the sort order--assuming everyone's camera had the correct time.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Return to Photography