First HDR photos

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Esteemed Member

First HDR photos

Postby glyn53 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi

Eight of my first HDR photos - not sure what I think :roll: . View them full screen and let me know what you think.

http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa390/glyn57/

Glyn
Last edited by glyn53 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: First HDR photos

Postby seektheburd » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:12 pm

Glyn,
Neat! I got to get around to trying this technique. I know it depends on the photo but, generally speaking, how long does it take to complete? The pier is my favorite.

Hugs, Stephanie
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/stephanieseek

HP Pavilion p6580t Desktop;Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; i5-750 Quad-Core; 1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230.
Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection

Postby Don100 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:43 pm

Glyn,

They look very good. I like the way you used HDR to just widen the dynamic light range, as opposed to going overboard, which is easy to do. That's just my personal perspective. I know that others like the heavy HDR look.

Don

Esteemed Member

Postby glyn53 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:31 am

Stephanie

It doesn't take to long in Photomatix Pro 4.1. I just load my 3 images into the software and by the time I've made a cup of tea, they are done. And then I did a little tweaking in photoshop.

Don

I didn't want to go overboard on the pics. When I looked at some of the results it seemed to much. To widen the dynamic light range was what I wanted and to bring out more detail.
The photo of underneath the pier with the wooden floor is a good example. I have taken this shot many times but never caught the colour and texture of the wood like I did in HDR. Usually it's dark and uninteresting - even with a flash.
I think HDR depends on the subject matter.

Thanks for your comments and for looking.

Glyn

Postby pixelpusher2010 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:34 am

You got it

from here on out its just a matter of tweaking to your personal taste

I like the overall look of the last crazy golf image (realistic with the red tower)
Photographicly The pier is a nice clean shot but thought the one with the railing in front might have shown more detail in the railing itself

Esteemed Member

Postby quetzal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:40 am

Hi Glynn,
More light on the first,we don't like the second, for the 3,4 and 5th, it's fantastic, and for the others 3 last, we prefer the last crazy golf as pixelpusher said. No doubt, in photo with good camera and software....sky is the limit.quetzal. :D

Esteemed Member

Postby Jim Adams » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:31 pm

Glyn,

You've had a couple of months since you first posted Your HDR shots and I'm sure you've learned a lot.
The pier photo is a great example of excellent HDR. It's not obvious that anything was done. The Grunge look, although exciting for some, is too gimicky for most.

I use Photomatix exclusively when shooting real estate exteriors and it is incredible software as long as you don't over-do things. 3,5 or 7 shots, one stop apart is all you need for just about any scene. And nobody knows you did anything.

Single image HDR also works great, if you have not tried that yet. It yields much better shadow detail than other techniques within Photoshop, while preserving highlights and good mid-tone contrast. Just create three files from any image (one stop under, normal & one stop over). Keep all settings (color, fill, shadow, etc) exactly the same for all 3 images except for exposure. You'll be amazed at the results.

Return to Photography