Rebuilding a castle ?

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Esteemed Member

Rebuilding a castle ?

Postby jacktar » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:53 am

Hi out there.
It has been quite a long time since I have been on the forum, but now is the time to start again on new projects.
The following question is something I has been wondering about for quite a long time.

When I look at The History channel, they sometimes has some interesting programs where they digitaly "rebuild" a ruin of an old castle or house to show the wiever how it looked like houdreds of years ago.
Do anyone of you know what cind of program they use to do this? And if possible what is the most easy way to create this effect? I guess it also has to do with bringing in some textures like "brics" , "natural stone" etc to use this "ellements" to "rebuild" the ruin back to former glory. ( But where do I find such "ellements" )
Is there some place on the net, or some tutorials that you can recomend?
Best regards
jacktar

Re: Rebuilding a castle ?

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:31 pm

I'm sure they use a 3-D program to build the elements. I can't recommend anything because I don't use that kind of software, but here's where you can learn the basics of what it's about along with a list of software: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_compute ... s_software

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby heckydog » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:09 pm

One thing to keep in mind. If they are "re-building" a castle ruin, in all likelihood no one knows what it really looked like to begin with. So they are pretty much free to build whatever they want and say this is what it looked like.

Plus, whatever software they used, it's a sure thing they had dozens of people working on dozens of high end computer stations to create an effect that's on the screen for maybe only 10's of seconds.

Little guys like us, toiling away by ourselves won't be able to do a lot of the things you see on TV. Even if you had the right software. But I can imagine simulating something like that using masks and layers but it won't be exactly what you saw.

Joe

Esteemed Member

Postby jacktar » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:24 am

Than you for kind answers heckydog and barbaraC.
I was mentioning History Channel, because I felt that this was the most easy way to explain what I was looking for.
I also agree with heckydog that whebn we "rebuild" a castle ruin, it is likely that no one knows what it looked like to begin with, and they are pretty much free to build whatever they want. and they probably have dozens of people and dozens of high end computer stations to work with. The difference with what I am thinking about is this:
The castles on historychannel is often animated, ( The castle is "building itself" in front of us ) In proshow we are using pictures (slides) and I was thinking of something a littel smaller than a castle. For example: We have a ruin or stone fundation of a "ordinary" house. We know that centuries ago, there was a log cabin or a stone building on the site. To recreate the stone house or log cabin like we think it looked like ( after reading the local history of the period) we want to "recreate" the house to the right proporsions. To do this I guess that we must have some "textures" like "natural stone" or "log wals" to start with.? Is there someplace on the net were it is possible to find "elements" like "sone textures", Log Textures" a.s.o.? or how would you work wit the problem?
Best regards
jacktar

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:40 am

The way to find the elements you're looking for is to search on that word. If you're looking for granite, you search for "granite," and if you're looking for pine logs, you search for "pine logs." In Google, you can click on Images and get a good preview of what you might find on the site.

However, you may be imagining something as being a lot easier to do than it really is. Not only must you find the exact elements you're looking for, but you'll have to either do cutouts of them or you'll have to design masks of just the right shapes.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider trying to do this. :D

Barbara

Postby heckydog » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:40 am

Is there someplace on the net were it is possible to find "elements" like "sone textures", Log Textures" a.s.o.? or how would you work wit the problem?

I go here whenever I need a texture, http://www.cgtextures.com/

They have a huge collection of textures and you can get a free account that's good for 15MB a day of downloads.

Joe

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:02 am

What a super site. I can't believe I didn't know about this one.

Barbara

Esteemed Member

Postby jacktar » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:09 am

BarbaraC wrote:What a super site. I can't believe I didn't know about this one.

Barbara

There is ALWAYS something new out there barbaraC if we get in contact with the "right people" :D

Esteemed Member

Postby jacktar » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:10 am

heckydog wrote:
Is there someplace on the net were it is possible to find "elements" like "sone textures", Log Textures" a.s.o.? or how would you work wit the problem?

I go here whenever I need a texture, http://www.cgtextures.com/

They have a huge collection of textures and you can get a free account that's good for 15MB a day of downloads.

Joe

Thank you SO MUCH joe :D

Postby heckydog » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:19 pm

Always glad to help. I have a number of websites bookmarked that others on this forum have been kind enough to tell everyone about. Pay it forward as they say.

Joe

Return to Photography