Camera Lets You Take Photos First and Then Focus Later.

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Re: Camera Lets You Take Photos First and Then Focus Later.

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Mac wrote:... However, I think your signature needs a bit of tweaking as well: "You can't have too many gadgets, too much disk space, or too much money to buy them!" :D

I had tried to do something along those lines a while back, but there is a limit to the number of characters you can have in the sig :evil:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Valued Member

Postby jskintauy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:53 am

I saw this a few months back and thought it was a significant breakthrough, but the size of the sensor would be a limiting factor. This will evolve and I suspect, will make a big impact. I think I will wait awhile because I am sure this technology will end up in a large sensor camera someday.
Jim S

Esteemed Member

Postby moehler » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:23 am

I'm kind of surprised by all the poo-pooing here about this camera . I see this technology as one of those milestones that will change photography. The camera is doing more than just making it so you can change the point of focus after the fact (as if that isn't enough by itself). The camera is recording not just the light, but the direction of the light, too. That means, you're actually recording three dimension and not just two.

Imagine shooting 3D in camera, or tilt-and-shift architecture after the fact. It is pretty mind-blowing technology.

And this is just the first generation of the technology. I would guess you will see Canon and Nikon introducing this technology, too. Imagine that.

In my opinion, this is going to be huge not only for photographers, but for the entertainment, military, and security.

Just my 2¢.

Postby Magmatic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:55 pm

gpsmikey wrote:(now if I could just figure out how to get my Nikon D300s to track focus by tracking my eyes and locking onto what I am watching ... )

Back in the 90's Canon had an EOS film camera that focused on what you were looking at in the finder. I contemplated buying one, but not for that feature.
David Shuford

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:08 pm

That would be cool - while I can lock my eyes and focus on birds going across my field of view, tracking them with the camera is much harder (of course I am using a telephoto too which makes it tougher).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Previous

Return to Photography