Camera Advice

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Camera Advice

Postby kabeeo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:52 am

My oldest is turning 16 and is showing some interest in photography. I have a Canon 50D with lenses from the original kit lens up to zooms, a 24-70L a wide angle and a few others. My thought was to buy her an entry level Canon, body only and we could share lenses. I am told that the XS does not come in body only. Anybody have any ideas? Do you know of anywhere that sells discontinued models? I wouldn't mind getting last years model at a discount. Thanks.
--Kevin
Proshow Producer
Canon 50D
Elements 10

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Camera Advice

Postby DickK » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:28 pm

How interested in photography has she been? Unless she's really interested in photography and been using yours there's a good chance she'll find the DSLR overwhelming.

In your shoes I'd ask her what she thinks she might want. Show her some options online or in a store and go from there. So many her age group don't want anything other than the cell phone camera but it's great if she does! Unless she specifically wanted something more I'd lean for a good compact model, something in the Canon PowerShot A-series or SD-series (though there are lots of other good ones too, I've had great success with those). Decent images, lots of capability to try out and a couple of them would cost less than even the body of a DSLR.

On the other hand, if the DSLR is her idea then go for it. But even in that case you might consider one of the so-called bridge cameras or superzooms in that case. The Panasonic FZ100 and the Fuji HS20 are at or near the top of that list. Smaller sensor but the same form factor and all the capability of a DSLR in a package that costs the same or less than the body alone and no bag of lenses to buy or carry. If she later really wants the DSLR using one of those will be easy.

Just my $.02

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Ron » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:27 pm

http://www.keh.com/
You might want to check out KEH.
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Postby kabeeo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:12 am

Thanks everybody.
--Kevin
Proshow Producer
Canon 50D
Elements 10

Postby DjDigitalTony » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:27 am

The Canon G10 has the best of both worlds and the cost should also make you happy. It takes great "Auto" pictures. It shots RAW format. It has all the settings that a DSLR has and video and stereo recording to boot. Go here for more info
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong10/

Postby Ron » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:04 am

Hi Kevin, I just noticed in your post you have listed a 24-70L Canon lens - I figure if you were smart enough to buy that lens your probably smart enough to know which body to get her as you know her better than we do :P . I wouldn't dare put my Nikon 24-70 N in a 16 yrs old hands. That's a pretty much top of the line lens in my book. Add the 14-24mm & the 70-200 and you wouldn't need another piece of glass for 10 years or more.
If she shows great interest, always taking your set-up & has a desire to learn, the other way to go is to give her your body with the kit lens (which is a nice combo) & then you upgrade :D to the 7D or Mark series - Bet you would like that if money was taken out of the equation.
Anyway Good Luck & let us know what decision you made
Ron
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Postby silverfox » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:32 pm

EOS Rebel T3 Black 18-55mm IS II Kit
Digital SLR Camera
Save $50 instantly or save up to $200 when you build your own bundle!
12.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor
DIGIC 4 Image Processor
ISO 100 - 6400
Improved EOS HD Movie mode with expanded recording [HD: 30p (29.97) / 25p]
In-camera movie editing options
9-point AF system utilizing a high precision, f/5.6 cross-type center point
Enhanced metering with a 63-zone, Dual-layer metering system
3.0 fps continuous shooting
2.7-inch wide TFT LCD monitor (230,000 dots) with Live View function
Compatibility with SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards
Compatible with the full line of Canon EF and EF-S lenses
CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Qualified Product
You Pay: $549.99
Was: $599.99
You Save: $50.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/st ... 1_-1_12164

Esteemed Member

Postby joemav57 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:53 pm

If you really want a nicely price starter DSLR camera, I would suggest the camera I bought in March .... the Nikon D3100. I have been getting remarkable photos and though it is my first DSLR, I have found it fairly easy to use. There are usually always some great deals each week in the Best Buy, H.H. Gregg's, and 6th Avenue Electronics store Sunday paper ads. I got a great starter outfit . It came with a Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom-Nikkor VR lens and a Nikon - 55-200mm VR Zoom Lens. Plus the carrying case with a SanDisk Extreme HD Video 8GB Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Memory Card for under $800. I added a tripod and Nikon 52mm Circular Polarizing Filter a month later. I'm so excited about this camera.

However, like Dick pointed out, make sure this is what you want her to start out with. My suggestion get her a a nice point and shoot. If she blossoms with that, then take her to the next level. It took me a while before I decided to take the step up to the DSLR level and I'm 54. ;)
PSP 7, Photoshop CS6, Nikon D3100.

Postby silverfox » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:18 pm

stick with Canon . . .

Return to Photography