Photoshop CS5 - bug combining images

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Photoshop CS5 - bug combining images

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:12 pm

OK, for those that use Photoshop CS5, one of the features that was supposed to be in it (and was demonstrated in a number of tutorials on Lynda.com that were made with an early release of CS5), there is an "advertised feature" that does not work - it was removed. The feature was that you could (working in the tabbed mode with multiple images open) drag a layer from the layers pallet of one image to the tab of another image, pause while that image activated then drop the layer in the other image. After trying to get it to work and watching the tutorials again, I finally checked the Adobe forums. The comment there from one of the members (who indicates he is an employee) was
This feature was part of the JDI ("Just Do It") initiative from last summer. The JDI was intended to add small highly desired features which could be implemented in a short period. This feature was implemented during that time. Late in the CS5 cycle, a bug was discovered which presented us with the option to either fix it or drop it. Since the fix had the possibility to destabilize the application we chose the safest route and dropped the feature. We know this has been a feature many of you have requested for a long time and we are very disappointed it was dropped.

Sincerely,
John

If anyone is interested, the thread is http://forums.adobe.com/message/2807428
Just thought I would mention it here in case someone else was trying to get it to work - my hair is gray enough without pulling any more out :lol: and since folks here use Photoshop a fair amount, I felt it was worth mentioning.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Re: Photoshop CS5 - bug combining images

Postby FL Views » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:16 am

I had some success in pasting from one photo to another. We recently did a group shot of our motorcycling riding group. One of the couples is moving and we wanted a photo of all of us together; however, one member was unable to attend. I took his photo from another photo, masked him and then brought him into our group photo so we were all together....

Michael

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:02 am

Yes, the normal (earlier) way of dragging an image from one floating image window to another on in Photoshop works fine, it is only the dragging a layer from one image to the tab of another image when in the tabbed view that is broken. The thing that was driving me nuts was there are several tutorials on Lynda.com where the demonstrate that technique (they were made before Adobe pulled that feature back out of CS5). I just wanted to pass the information along here since I know quite a few people use Lynda.com and Photoshop and I know how frustrating it can be when you are trying to follow a tutorial but can't get it to work like they show (turns out Adobe changed the rules). I have also passed the information along to Lynda.com - I would not expect them to re-make the tutorials, but it would be very helpful if they did put a notice on their page for those tutorials that that feature no longer worked in CS5.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby texbrandt » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:35 am

Mikey,
Interesting, I don't seem to have any problem pulling a layer from one tab to another. The way it works for me is to grab the layer from the one tabbed layer up to the tab where I want to place it, hold the pointer over that tab until the image from that tab appears in the window below then still holding the mouse button down drag the pointer down to the new image.

I got CS5 last June.

Robert
"Seeking questions for life's persistent answers."
http://texbrandt.com/blog

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:48 am

Yes, that was the way it was supposed to work and did work for the tutorials (that was what was getting me - I would watch the tutorial, do exactly the same thing they showed and it didn't work). Unfortunately, Adobe pulled that feature back out in an update to Photoshop (check out the link I listed originally). It does not work on mine - you can drag a layer from one image to the tab for another image and it never switches to that image (like it does in the tutorials) no matter how long you hold it there. And if you just release the "layer" onto that tab, nothing happens. Do you have the updates installed from Adobe? - there were several a while back that fixed a number of issues those of us with XP had (like tool tips were broken and some other stuff). I suspect it was during one of those updates that that feature "vanished" (as was indicated in the tread in the Adobe forums).

mikey

Postby texbrandt » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:03 pm

[quote="gpsmikey"]Yes, that was the way it was supposed to work and did work for the tutorials (that was what was getting me - I would watch the tutorial, do exactly the same thing they showed and it didn't work). Unfortunately, Adobe pulled that feature back out in an update to Photoshop (check out the link I listed originally). It does not work on mine - you can drag a layer from one image to the tab for another image and it never switches to that image (like it does in the tutorials) no matter how long you hold it there. And if you just release the "layer" onto that tab, nothing happens. Do you have the updates installed from Adobe? - there were several a while back that fixed a number of issues those of us with XP had (like tool tips were broken and some other stuff). I suspect it was during one of those updates that that feature "vanished" (as was indicated in the tread in the Adobe forums).

I don't know what updates I have installed. It hadn't occurred to me that some of the problems I had with tutorials might have been because the feature in photoshop had changed or vanished. Considering the things that CS5 extended can do it is a wonder that it all works so well (most of the time). My big thing at the moment is getting my head around all that the content aware tools can do.

If it is true that challenging your mind can help you live longer then I should be in good shape, some days this stuff is way too challenging. lol

Thanks for posting this, it's always good to know these things so we don't make ourselves any crazier than we are already

Robert

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:42 pm

texbrandt wrote:If it is true that challenging your mind can help you live longer then I should be in good shape, some days this stuff is way too challenging. lol

Thanks for posting this, it's always good to know these things so we don't make ourselves any crazier than we are already

Robert

There's a lot to be said for that :lol: I just checked my receipt - I purchased the download CS5 Extended in early May of last year but I do know I have let it install a number of patches since then. Yes, definitely keeps our minds alert (or the blood pressure elevated) or something.

mikey

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:59 pm

I should have mentioned - you CAN drag (using the move tool) an image from one image to the tab of another, it will change to that then you can drop the image. What is broken is the ability to drag a layer from the layers pallet to the tab of another image (that was supposed to be new in CS5). The drag from one image to the tab of another does work as advertised. A subtle difference -- unless that is what you are trying to do of course :lol:

mikey

Postby texbrandt » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:39 pm

[quote="gpsmikey"]I should have mentioned - you CAN drag (using the move tool) an image from one image to the tab of another, it will change to that then you can drop the image. What is broken is the ability to drag a layer from the layers pallet to the tab of another image (that was supposed to be new in CS5). The drag from one image to the tab of another does work as advertised. A subtle difference -- unless that is what you are trying to do of course :lol: "

Ok, I am finally on the same page. All in all, though it has been a good exercise for me. I learned several new things that will speed things up for me.

never a dull moment

Robert

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:04 pm

One more tidbit if you are not familiar with it - if you are planning on working with a number of images you are going to combine into one, instead of dragging each one into the "master" image, there is a very easy way to do that. Go to Bridge, select the images you want to all be in the "master" (ctl+click to add to your selected images). Then go to "Tools --> Photoshop --> Load files into photoshop layers" and it will open a new document with all the files you selected as layers :D

mikey

Postby texbrandt » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:41 am

[quote="gpsmikey"]One more tidbit if you are not familiar with it - if you are planning on working with a number of images you are going to combine into one, instead of dragging each one into the "master" image, there is a very easy way to do that. Go to Bridge, select the images you want to all be in the "master" (ctl+click to add to your selected images). Then go to "Tools --> Photoshop --> Load files into photoshop layers" and it will open a new document with all the files you selected as layers :D "

I was not familiar with this, thanks. Now if I can just remember it when I need it. :lol:

Robert

Return to Photography