Been a while since I was here .... also bought a new camera

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Esteemed Member

Been a while since I was here .... also bought a new camera

Postby joemav57 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Hi everybody! It has been a lot time since I posted on here. Sort of took a sabbatical from slideshows and posting. I just bought a new camera, a Nikon D3100 kit with two lenses. Never owning a DSLR before, strictly a point and shoot kind of guy, I have found the learning curve a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. I did a lot of reading before I went out on the limb. I finally settled on the D3100 because of budget (and a great deal at Best Buy put the camera in my wife's allotment for me to spend on one) and features. I've had the camera now three weeks. Armed with my newly aquired "Dummies" book, I have ventured to learn how to use this camera before the end of spring. God willing and the creek don't rise I will. It is such a far cry from my simple Kodak Z740.

Hoping all of you have been doing well. Hope to get back in the swing of posting and doing slideshows again soon. Take good care and God Bless!!!!

Joe
PSP 7, Photoshop CS6, Nikon D3100.

Re: Been a while since I was here .... also bought a new camera

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:52 pm

Welcome back !! Welcome to the DSLR fan club - one biggie you need to be aware of (that just was not an issue with film cameras really) is dust on the sensor. Be careful about changing lenses - only do it in a (as much as possible) still air/dust free environment. You don't have to be paranoid about it, but you do need to be careful. Experiment - learn what the camera will do and how to use the various settings (single focus vs continuous, aperture priority, shutter priority all have their place and can really work to your advantage). Sooner or later, the book will make sense :lol:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Re: Been a while since I was here .... also bought a new camera

Postby joemav57 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:12 pm

Thanks Mikey! The one feature I noticed when I bought this camera is that it had a "Clean Image Sensor". It actually cleans the sensor itself (both automatically or manually). I am hoping that this feature will keep me from having to do it myself or have it done by a shop. I have only switched lenses twice. But I am being cautious to not do it in a dusty climate. I am learning there is a lot more to this rascal than my other camera. I do look forward to making the most of this camera (or my wife might bounce it off my head). She kept pointing my attention to a bunch of nicely priced point & shoot cameras. However, she was on board to buying it. She told me it was time for a new camera and she knew I wanted a better camera. The price was nice and the reviews I read made it a good choice. Thanks again!!!

Joe
PSP 7, Photoshop CS6, Nikon D3100.

Return to Photography