Should I shoot digital photos in 16:9?

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Re: Should I shoot digital photos in 16:9?

Postby debngar » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:07 am

DickK wrote:-snip-

Bottom line is that you can choose whatever aspect ratio ends up with the most pixels, best fit for the LCD or you can choose the one that matches best how the images will be used (where best means least cropping).
And that my friends, is how I get “best for what?” as the answer.
Not satisfied with the (very) long answer? Okay, if you pick 3:2 you’ll fit the most common print size and crop the least to go to the other two ratios.
Yeah, and personally I always shoot 4:3 and I have no good justification for that at all! ;)
Okay, I've done enough damage for one post. Corrections and further beating of the equine are fine with me :!:
Dick

All good points Dick. Given three choices I'd also probably pick 3:2.

That said and getting back to the initial question of the thread, I don't think there is a necessarily "wrong" mode, and I think that's your point too (using Graham's words from the first post). My main concern in pointing it out in the first place was so the user wouldn't be disappointed if there was a possibility that the images were lesser quality if shot in 16:9 as compared to 4:3. I was simply going by what the back of my camera said in the way of number of Mb. If it was a needless concern, then I apologize for taking the subject to the lengths I did. :shock: :)

After becoming more aware of the pictures I'd taken in 16:9 with my P&S camera as compared to the 4:3, I decidedly prefer the 4:3 and would probably only shoot the video with that camera in 16:9 - hopefully remembering to change it back to 4:3 to capture stills.

Graham,

I hope you enjoy your trip and not get hung up over all this. It's not the end of the world if your images don't cover the screen entirely. That's one good use of the zoom feature in the program! :wink:
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby Graham » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks everybody for your input and advice - thanks to each of you for taking your time out to help! I followed tdew's solution to go out and take some quick test shots in this "new" 16:9 format and produce a show to see what it looks like. I also took the memory card into a photo shop kiosk to see what happens with 16:9 photos when they have to be cropped slightly to a produce a standard size print. I also took on board the valuable advice as to what in reality is a "normal" aspect ratio anyway and to have in mind what the photos are intended for when deciding what's the "best". End result? I've decided on the 16:9 format. On the test shots I did, the fact that the 16:9 images now automatically fill the entire television screen without having to alter the aspect ratio of the tv to suit a 4:3 format picture is a bonus - as to me it does make the images look that slightly more impressive on a large tv display - and this is predominately how the pictures will be viewed. When printing a standard size print at a photo kiosk from a 16:9 image, I found that the little bit of the image that is cut off on the edges of the photograph was marginal, even when leaving it up to the machine to automatically just trim either edge. And everyone's advice about how images have to be routinely cropped anyway made me realise that it is in one's imagination to an extent as to what is "best". Good grief - at 44 I think I'm officially getting old - I think I'm unfortunately in the age bracket where all these tech choices seem endless and one just wants things to stay the same! Thanks again for all the replies.

Postby Graham » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:03 pm

PS to my last post. Special thanks Deb and Dick for your valuable replies and the time you guys gave!!!!! :D

Valued Member

Postby gus607 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:02 pm

For slideshows I always shoot at 16.9. Widescreen TV, widescreen pictures, no brainer.

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:44 pm

Graham wrote:Thanks everybody for your input and advice - ..... Good grief - at 44 I think I'm officially getting old - I think I'm unfortunately in the age bracket where all these tech choices seem endless and one just wants things to stay the same! Thanks again for all the replies.

Hah !! At 44, you're one of the younger kids on the block. I zoomed past 60 last year and there are quite a few folks here significantly older than that. Just remember -- "It's never too late to have a happy childhood" :lol:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Previous

Return to Photography