Lens

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Lens

Postby KarenLynn58 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:50 pm

Photographers.....

What is your favorite lens....or all purpose lens....

I am looking at the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM .

The only thing I am worried about with this lens, is that it has no image stabilization....

Should I be concerned?

I do children's photography....mostly outside, but some inside.....

What is your most used lens?

Karen

Site Admin

Re: Lens

Postby MG - Admin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Karen:

The 24-70mm is an awesome walkaround lens. The fact that it doesn't have IS is not much of a problem. Unless you're shooting in very dim conditions you should be able to get a shutter speed high enough via a wider aperture up to 2.8, or by increasing the ISO. I'm assuming you have a fairly recent model Canon camera so noise shouldn't be an issue at the higher ISO settings.

The 24-105mm lens has IS, but only goes down to 4.0, so other than getting a little more reach I don't think you're gaining much. I prefer to have the 2.8 option over having IS.

I have the 24-70mm and the 70-200mm, both without IS, and I don't miss it at all on either of them.

Good luck!

Mike

Postby KarenLynn58 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:06 pm

Great! That makes me feel better knowing someone has that lens, has used it,
and likes it!!! I have heard that it has really great sharpness.....

Thanks so much!!! Gotta have it now!

Postby KarenLynn58 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:09 pm

One more question......
Have you ever purchased anything from B&H Photo?
They have it on sale right now....

Thanks!

Postby debngar » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi Karen,

Ditto to what Mike said.

I have the 24-70 f/2.8L and the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS. Both are pretty heavy. I use the 24-70 as my main workhorse lens but have gotten good use out of both.

I've bought stuff from B&H and have never had a problem with them. Sometimes if a lens is on sale, that may be an indicator that a newer model is coming out. But I don't know for sure in this case, just guessing. Also be on the lookout for potential rebates. If you wait and another model does come out, it will likely be a lot more expensive. That is the case for the newer 100mm macro for instance and the newer 70-200 II.

The 24-70 is a good quality lens. Once you start buying L series lenses you will have a hard time wanting to buy anything lesser quality.

I would suggest you buy the "USA" model, not the "IMP" as rebates do not apply to the imported model.
Last edited by debngar on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby KarenLynn58 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:42 pm

Thanks so much Debbie!!
Gosh, it has been a long time since I have been on the Proshow site....
But I knew you guys would have the info I needed!!
I love your hair, by the way....You look beautiful!
Thanks for all the info.....

Karen

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:03 pm

KarenLynn58 wrote:Have you ever purchased anything from B&H Photo?

I'm pretty sure I put someone through college based on the amount of purchases I've made over the years. Great selection, prices and customer service.

Mike

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:57 pm

Yeah, me too with B&H - one of the few places I have no concerns about dealing with in New York. As far as the IS goes, even if you could stabilize the lens for a slow shutter speed, how are you going to stabilize the kids ???? (I've got a nail gun you can borrow ... ) :lol: Recognize that B&H has different hours - they are Jewish and are closed from Friday night through Saturday (check their web page). I have no problem with it, but it does seem like when I decide I "need" something it is Friday night :lol: I've never had any problems with them on any order - what I ordered and shipped promptly. Only order I had a problem with was a couple of years ago - paid the extra for 3 day shipping, it made it literally to within just a few miles of us then UPS sat on it for 10 days or so because of snow (UPS had their entire parking lot full of the UPS semi trailers - all sorts of things froze - people were NOT happy with UPS on that one). FedEx on the other hand dropped my package off from Digital Juice at the same time with no problem.

My favorite lens is the 70-300 (which on my Nikon is actually a 110-450 or there abouts) but I use it for birds and nature type stuff. The one you are looking at is a nice lens for the type of shooting you say you are doing. If you are going to be doing a lot of portrait type work, you should get a couple of books on lighting and think about how you want to get set up. Lighting typically makes or breaks it in portraits.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:41 am

My most used lens has turned out to be the Nikon 18-200. I call it my "do everything lens" since I can go from fairly wide to zoomed in with a quick twist of the ring. I find it's invaluable for shooting weddings, since that is akin to fast sports photography in many cases, where you have to be able to go from wide to tight very quickly, and where even swapping camera rigs takes too long.

That being said, though it's my most used lens, it's not my "favourite". That is my 70-200 F2.8. I like the heft of the pro-grade glass, the performance and the low light performance with a fixed aperture.

If Nikon came out with a pro-grade, 18-200 at a fixed F2.8, I'ld be in lens heaven, though I suspect that the physics of such a lens are not doable at this stage, if ever.
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

Esteemed Member

Postby moehler » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:48 am

My favorite lens is a Nikon 85mm PC lens. It is uber-sharp and allows me to do so much more than a standard lens. For my most used lens (for indoors), it is a Tamron 28-27 f2.8 lens. Is is sharp, has good contrast and the price is right. Outdoors is a Nikon 80-200mm. None of the lens have image stabilization as I use tripods a lot. I know that a lot of people hate tripods, but they are great (esp with children photography) as I can get out from behind the camera and shoot remotely and it give me rock solid support.

Just my 2¢,

Return to Photography