Need a flash or not

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Re: Need a flash or not

Postby debngar » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:13 am

gpsmikey wrote:
debngar wrote:In a pinch, a small piece of thin, one-ply white paper napkin or toilet paper draped over the flash will do. My 5dMII has only a hot shoe, no pop-up flash. But that trick works on my SX1IS point and shoot pop-up flash.

Somehow, the vision of you running around a wedding with a toilet paper dispenser on your belt just doesn't make it (or maybe it does) :lol: -snip-

mikey

I knew this would spark some teasing.... and was certain that if you didn't say something, someone else would! :wink:

I'm not saying I'd do that at a wedding. Sheesh. If I were shooting a wedding, I wouldn't use my point and shoot and therefore would have no use for an on-camera toilet paper flash diffuser. :lol:
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby Dean Athans » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:18 pm

Quetzal -

Ditto to what everyone else has said.

Just remember, if the lighting is "good enough" for a "regular lens", (say like a 50 mm lens working at a 3.5 f-stop), then it's probably OK for the telephoto lens. As Debbie says, the most important factor here is the f-stop (which is often smaller in telephoto lenses, and thus, more important to have fairly bright conditions). Also, a major convenience of digital cameras is the ability to increase the sensitivity, ISO, to be able to get the telephoto shots in less than bright conditions. (However, overdo the ISO and you'll notice that noise becomes objectionable--it's a tradeoff that only you can evaluate [get a "noisy" picture or no picture at all].)

- Dean
Dean A

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:31 pm

One important difference to keep in mind on the lens length is that while f8 at 1/50 may be fine for a 35mm lens (mild wide angle), trying to hand hold a 200mm lens at that shutter speed is tough (even with a stabilized lens) since a telephoto lens not only magnifies the image, it also magnifies any motion of the camera during the exposure. There are a whole range of techniques to try and hold longer lenses still while shooting. As you can see, there is no simple single answer to the issue :lol: This may be where the idea of needing a flash with 200mm or longer lenses started.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Previous

Return to Photography