extender or len

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Esteemed Member

extender or len

Postby quetzal » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:58 am

Hi everybody,
We'll appreciate your help about an extender or another len. Please tell us the pros and cons....Is it better with extender 1.4, 1.5,2X....and which one of Canon or Kenko (concerning prices and quality. Thank a lot. quetzal :)

Site Admin

Re: extender or len

Postby MG - Admin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:23 pm

I'm assuming you have a Canon camera, but what model? And what lens do you currently own that you want to add the extender to?

Depending on the lens and extender (teleconverter) you will lose a stop or two, as well as possibly losing your autofocus function. There are things you can do such as taping pins to gain the autofocus function back, but it will only work with the center focus point. All other focus points will be non-functional. Image quality may drop as well depending on the brand and/or extension type.

Canon makes two extenders, a 1.4x and a 2.0x. I've read that the 2.0x suffers a bit in image quality, but the 1.4x is pretty good. For a few hundred dollars it seems a pretty good route to go rather than buying a new lens, but in comparison it won't be as good as simply having the longer lens. That's just my opinion and others may disagree.

As for longer lenses, how long do you want? Canon has some fantastic lenses, and there are some off-brand lenses that are quite good from Sigma and Tamron that help a little bit budget wise.

Mike

Esteemed Member

Postby quetzal » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:27 am

Hi,
Thank you for your answer. The camera we have in mind is the Canon 60D. We keep all your ideas (pros and cons) to make the good choice. quetzal :)

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:05 pm

The Canon 60d is a nice camera. Do you have a lens in mind? Have you had a DSLR or SLR camera before?

The reason I ask is that the 60d is considered a 1.6 crop camera. Putting it simply, any lens you put on the camera gets magnified by 1.6. A 100mm lens is really a 160mm lens, a 20mm lens is really 32mm, etc. Adding an extender (teleconverter) just magnifies things that much more.

Mike

Esteemed Member

Postby quetzal » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:05 am

Hi Mike,
O.K. the Canon 60D is not a full frame camera. We don't need an extender then. Thank you one more time for this information. We hope that Santa will bring us that Canon this Christmas. quetzal :D

Return to Photography