Going back in history with photoshop?

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Esteemed Member

Going back in history with photoshop?

Postby jacktar » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:18 pm

Is there anyone out there who know where I can find some photoshop toturials about how to change a lanscape?
The Idea is this. Outside the city where I live, there is a small stone church. The oldest part was buildt about the year of 1200 AC. As the years past by, more buildings was connected to the church. Roads was buildt etc. The idea is to try to bring the church back to the year 1200. Remove the road, new buildings etc and replace them with trees and rocks that ones was there. Well, as close as possible. Do anyone of you know a tutorial in photoshop that explains the technicue?

Best regards
jacktar

Re: Going back in history with photoshop?

Postby anitaemile » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:02 pm

Jacktar,
If you know how to create the items ( rocks, roads etc) for the images that you would like to use in the "older" images you probably also know how to clone or stamp , so that you can remove the "newer elements" from your original picture. If you know how to remove these parts you should also know how to add a transparent layer on top of your original layer on which you can then drag the image of the items you would like to add to make the picture look more back in time. After you remove the parts that were not there many years ago, you can add the layers with other content and save those individually and keep adding them to your slide ( adding a wipe transition to the first keyframe to avoid a harsh transition), one by one , meanwhile ending the items they replaced .
Not knowing your knowledge of Photoshop it is hard to direct you to a tutorial.
Gavin Hoey has plenty of tutorials on youtube that might help you get started.
Good luck

Anita.

Postby GEQ » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:44 pm

You Tube is loaded with tons of lessons in Photoshop, aimed at multiple levels. Type in what you want along with the version of PS that you have. Great reference source.

Regards,

Glen

Esteemed Member

Postby des.tom » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:35 am

I find the tutorials on http://www.photoshopessentials.com/ very helpful.

Des Thomas

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:52 am

This is one of those cases where, if it's possible to do so, you might consider cutting out the old part of the church and saving it as a separate file. On the original, clone in trees and so forth as you imagine they might have looked when just the church was there, not worrying about hiding the church itself. Then bring in the church file you saved, placing it as a layer above the original, blending its edges into the background and perhaps adding foliage around those church edges, maybe even a tree that appears to be partially in front of the church.

There's definitely a lot of blending and shadowing that would need to be done to make it realistic, but what's described above is a basic method for doing what you'd like to do.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby heckydog » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:32 am

You might want to think about a morphing program too. It would be unique to see a building morph into a tree. :)

There's a lot to choose from, shareware, freeware, paid. Google should turn up quite a few.

Joe

Esteemed Member

Postby jacktar » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:19 am

des.tom wrote:I find the tutorials on http://www.photoshopessentials.com/ very helpful.

Des Thomas

Than you Des Thomas.
I will look into it :D

Esteemed Member

Postby jacktar » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:23 am

GEQ wrote:You Tube is loaded with tons of lessons in Photoshop, aimed at multiple levels. Type in what you want along with the version of PS that you have. Great reference source.

Regards,

Glen

Thank you Glen.
A part of the problem is what to type?
What would you out there type if you was looking for the same as me?
This is a part of the problem when Inglish is not my mother language.

Esteemed Member

Postby jacktar » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:25 am

heckydog wrote:You might want to think about a morphing program too. It would be unique to see a building morph into a tree. :)

There's a lot to choose from, shareware, freeware, paid. Google should turn up quite a few.

Joe

What is a morphing program?

Esteemed Member

Postby jacktar » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:37 am

anitaemile wrote:Jacktar,
If you know how to create the items ( rocks, roads etc) for the images that you would like to use in the "older" images you probably also know how to clone or stamp , so that you can remove the "newer elements" from your original picture. If you know how to remove these parts you should also know how to add a transparent layer on top of your original layer on which you can then drag the image of the items you would like to add to make the picture look more back in time. After you remove the parts that were not there many years ago, you can add the layers with other content and save those individually and keep adding them to your slide ( adding a wipe transition to the first keyframe to avoid a harsh transition), one by one , meanwhile ending the items they replaced .
Not knowing your knowledge of Photoshop it is hard to direct you to a tutorial.
Gavin Hoey has plenty of tutorials on youtube that might help you get started.
Good luck

Anita.

I have used Photoshop for a while, but in a basic way (I think) Writing text on photos, Making some posters aso.
And in a basic way mixing parts from two photos, ( Using transparent layer ), but like I said, it has all been very basic. My Idea comes from the "old times" when museums used "diorahmas" ( you maybe remember small boxes with a modell landscape and maybe a battle scene inside? ) The idea is to use Photoshop to create the same effect.
If I write "Diorhamas" in the search, they send me to some tutorial that explains how to make a photography look like an "oldfasion" diorhama. Not exactly what I was looking for.

Esteemed Member

Postby jacktar » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:40 am

BarbaraC wrote:This is one of those cases where, if it's possible to do so, you might consider cutting out the old part of the church and saving it as a separate file. On the original, clone in trees and so forth as you imagine they might have looked when just the church was there, not worrying about hiding the church itself. Then bring in the church file you saved, placing it as a layer above the original, blending its edges into the background and perhaps adding foliage around those church edges, maybe even a tree that appears to be partially in front of the church.

There's definitely a lot of blending and shadowing that would need to be done to make it realistic, but what's described above is a basic method for doing what you'd like to do.

Barbara

Thank you Barbara,
This was a wery useful tip.
I will put it in my book for tips and trix :D

Postby heckydog » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:41 am

jacktar wrote:
heckydog wrote:You might want to think about a morphing program too. It would be unique to see a building morph into a tree. :)

Joe

What is a morphing program?

You can see some examples here:

http://www.fantamorph.com/

I made this using Fantamorph. Faces, buildings, trees, objects, it's all the same process :wink:

SheriMorph 20sec 4.6MB wmv

Joe

Esteemed Member

Postby jacktar » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:51 am

Thank you Joe. This will be something to look into in the future, ( Nice effects)
But first I have to see how far I can get with what I have. I am a little afraid of being a collector of fancy programs more than working with Proshow and photography. :D

Return to Photography