Why do we look so fat ....???

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Why do we look so fat ....???

Postby Deb » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:41 am

Hi everyone!! Just back from a wonderful family holiday and looking through our photo's ... hubby and son look fine (skinny buggers!!) but my daughter and I who have more curves but are by no means fat, look short and chubby :cry: What's the deal??? Is it our lense or are we just not photogenic?? Please don't tell me I have to loose 10 pounds to make up for the 10 pounds the camera adds!!! :wink:

We have a canon 300D and used a 18-55mm lense (the one that came with the camera)

Thanks
Deb

PS I have been on the internet looking at lenses .... if a change of lense is the answer, should we stick with Canon or go with the cheaper option of the Sigma?? :?

Esteemed Member

Re: Why do we look so fat ....???

Postby moehler » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:03 am

it could be a variety of reason:

• the lens could be doing it. A wider angle lens with a subject towards the middle will look larger.
• the light could be doing it. how the light strikes the subject can have a big influence on the percieved size of the subject. Men and woman look better in different light. If you were photographed in the same light without a pose change (see below) then it could make you look bigger.
• the pose could be doing it. Similar to the light, the way someone is posed (esp in relation to the light) can change the perceived size of a subject.

If you post the images (or PM them if you prefer) I can maybe give some additional insight.

Esteemed Member

Postby nantory » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:24 am

I have had this problem.
Last edited by nantory on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby debngar » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:54 am

No need to get a new lens. It could be the lens setting (not the lens itself). Just shoot at the longer end - 50-55mm.

If shooting at a wider setting, don't get too close and keep the lens on a level plane with subject. Pointing the lens up can make things look wider at the bottom. Pointing it down can make things look wider at the top. :roll:

Sometimes I wind up with goofy dog shots with a wide angle setting when I shoot close and not on the same level as the dog. The dog winds up with a huge nose and teeny tiny feet. Sometimes that's ok because it's fun to have those kinds of shots every once in a while. But not all the time. So I try also to make sure I get some at their level too, not shooting from above, so the dog looks normally proportioned and not distorted.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby Deb » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:57 am

Thanks for the help!

I have been doing a bit of research on the lens (btw - thanks for clearing up the spelling on lens ..lol ..... it seems that 'lense' is acceptable but not preferred!!) Anyway, back to the point - I think once I better understand how the lens works (and explain it to my hubby!!) things might improve - I looked at some of the pics and you were spot on - the ones where I am in the middle of the frame look horrible but if I am more to the side, they look much better. Sadly my hubby is not the most adventurous photographer and I am in the middle of most shots!! I also think that I am not the greatest poser :cry: so I will have to work on that too!!

Thanks for your feedback - it was a great help!

Regards, Deb

Postby debngar » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:53 am

Deb wrote:Thanks for the help!

I have been doing a bit of research on the lens (btw - thanks for clearing up the spelling on lens ..lol ..... it seems that 'lense' is acceptable but not preferred!!) Anyway, back to the point - I think once I better understand how the lens works (and explain it to my hubby!!) things might improve - I looked at some of the pics and you were spot on - the ones where I am in the middle of the frame look horrible but if I am more to the side, they look much better. Sadly my hubby is not the most adventurous photographer and I am in the middle of most shots!! I also think that I am not the greatest poser :cry: so I will have to work on that too!!

Thanks for your feedback - it was a great help!

Regards, Deb

A few more things that might help....

Stand or sit with feet/knees/shoulders at a 45 degree angle to right or left of the lens and away from the major light source if possible. Then turn the head to the light source.

Put someone or something partly in front of the subject like a small child or pet.

Retain some space between the arms and the body rather than straight down at the side else it can increase the perception of the width of a person.

The 50mm lens represents how the human eye sees things. A longer reaching lenses like a 70-200 can put a bit of compression to the image and slim people. But one needs to be further away to get all the subjects in the picture. :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby Deb » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks Debbie! Luckily I have two little kids on hand to pop in front of me which is handy!! :D I will remember your advice about the 45 degree angle and the arms ... just thinking about it and the better shots are the ones where I am standing at an angle and have my arms away... will have to make a conscience effort - perhaps I need to stick a post it on the camera!! :lol:

Thanks again for all the advice ...

Regards, Deb

Return to Photography