The new Canon 60D

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Esteemed Member

The new Canon 60D

Postby quetzal » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:18 am

Hi everyone,
What would be your interest in buying the new SLR camera Canon 60D. Give us yours ideas, yours advices and so on. quetzal :)

Robert Barnett

Re: The new Canon 60D

Postby Robert Barnett » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:01 pm

I wouldn't. It isn't much of an update to the 50D, in fact they took away quite a few features including Micro Focus adjust. I would either go for the older 50D, if I could find one at a good enough price or spring for the 7D. Which is what I currently have. I love my 7D. I got the kit with the 18-135 and I don't see myself need much more in the way of lenses at least right now.

Robert

Postby juicedownload » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:20 pm

I'll just throw this out there, you may already know about it but...
When I research cameras, I include dpreview.com
Such in-depth reviews, analysis, comparisons, and ratings

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=rating
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos60d/

Tim

Robert Barnett

Postby Robert Barnett » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:35 am

I would also like to state the obvious but still very important...

1. Never rely on any one source for information on making such a large purchase. Read everything you can from all sources you can and then decide.

2. No matter what anyone may tell you if the product you want is what you want then buy it. My problem with the 60D isn't that it takes bad pictures. It doesn't. In fact you can't buy a camera today that takes bad pictures, at least not one from a major manufacturer. My problem is them removing features and calling it an upgrade. I think this sets a bad precedent and one that I don't want to see manufacturer getting in to the habit of or thinking that it is just fine by us consumers.

Robert

Postby duglas50 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:20 pm

The October issue of Popular Photography has a review on the new Canon EOS 60D.

Doug
Family Heritage Photography
http://www.familyheritagephotography.com
    Producer 5.0, Photoshop Elements 14, Lightroom 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 9, Topaz Adjust, Portrait Professional, On1 Photo 10, ImgBurn, Audacity, Nikon D7200, D5000

Postby silverfox » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:55 pm

For this price range, I like this camera - it will out performs the 50D - I especially like the articulating screen. My opinion "great camera for the price"

A user report: http://www.popphoto.com/canon/2010/08/h ... r?page=0,4
A preview: http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-r ... eview.html

Esteemed Member

Postby quetzal » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:39 am

Hi everyone,
Many thanks to all of you. The choice will be between the T2i Rebel and the 60D(this one comes with a 15-85 len). quetzal

Postby juicedownload » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:24 pm

I should mention that I have the T2i. I really enjoy it. Canon really packed this camera with features. Apparently the competition is tight. 18 megapixel is not necessary unless you have a specific reason for it, but it attracts more buyers. It's a nicely featured camera at a great price.

Tim

Postby duglas50 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:26 pm

I too am considering the Canon T2i. Although, Nikon just came out with the D3100 which will replace the D3000 and out does the D5000. They should be calling it the D5100. For several hundred dollars less than the Canon T2i it deserves a look.

Doug
Family Heritage Photography
http://www.familyheritagephotography.com
    Producer 5.0, Photoshop Elements 14, Lightroom 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 9, Topaz Adjust, Portrait Professional, On1 Photo 10, ImgBurn, Audacity, Nikon D7200, D5000

Esteemed Member

Postby quetzal » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:24 am

Hi again,
Thanks for all of you answering us. Which one of Canon T2i,Canon 60D and new Nikon 3100 will be the best camera for taking photos in dark places without flash? quetzal

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:32 am

quetzal wrote:Which one of Canon T2i,Canon 60D and new Nikon 3100 will be the best camera for taking photos in dark places without flash? quetzal

I don't know if there's a "better" camera for that situation out of the three you listed, but just as importantly if not more, it will depend on the glass you choose to use with it. If you have a slow lens it won't matter which camera you have.

Mike

Robert Barnett

Postby Robert Barnett » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:25 am

I totally disagree with the 18MP isn't needed thing. Until we can get a 1000mm high quality lens for $500 resolution provided you don't have to pay for it with massive amounts of noise or very very poor high ISO performance is very useful for cropping. Being able to take a shot and crop it to look like it was shot with a 1000mm lens with the quality of your lens and still be able to print a high quality 13x19-inch print is to me very useful.

Another use I have come to appreciate for more resolution is being able to take a single shot and cut out multiple 4x6-inch 300 dpi images from it to make and quick and easy collage. I have several picture frames that can be hung horizontal or vertically that can hold 6 4-x6-inch prints. I love to take a single image and cut out the 6 4x6-inch images from it for a single frame. It is a very cool way to go.

Myself my 7D at 18MP has both good resolution, great image quality and very very acceptable high ISO. I think the T2i (I considered it, but didn't like the feel in my hands) or the 60D will do just find in the resolution to high ISO to noise ratio.

I haven't held the 60D but before going with the T2i please find one locally and hold it. Unless you have very small hands I think it was uncomfortable. I love the larger size of the 7D. I would expect the 60D to fall between the T2i and the 7D in size.

Robert

Esteemed Member

Postby quetzal » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:12 am

Hi one more time,
The case of 60D is'nt in metal like the 50D, the 60D accepts now the SD cards and the LCD is variable but the len that comes with it: the 15-85mm worths about 400$. We've several things to consider up to now. Many thanks for the goods advices from all of you. quetzal :)

Robert Barnett

Postby Robert Barnett » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 pm

The mostly plastic construction of the 60D I don't think should concern anyone. We have had plastics strong enough to stop bullets for decades now. To me the difference between mostly plastic and plastic with an inner skeleton of metal is that the mostly plastic can crack if you drop it. The plastic with metal skeleton can crack and dent if your drop it. The metal is also going to make it heavier. Unless you are a war correspondent being shot at with RPGs and such I don't think mostly plastic or plastic with metal skeleton is going to make a hooey of difference.

As for the SD vs. the CF memory cards. SD cards currently are slower, but both provide more than enough speed for the video recording. They both cost about the same. The only thing I think going for CF is that the controller for it is built in to the card where SD it is in the camera and therefor will only support SD cards that it supports at the time the camera ships, where CF cards as long as they don't change the size and shape all should work since the controller is in the card. Also, CF cards being larger in physical size I think they are easier to handle. If you have CF and SD cards (I do) then to me it really doesn't matter. If you have only CF and you will need to buy SD then I can see that as a problem as that is going to add to the cost.

The articulating screen can be handy. Though there are other things I would consider before that would be my deciding factor. It is a nicety but if the AF was poor or slow or didn't do well in low light, if it had higher the accept noise in high ISO and things like that then the screen wouldn't even be a factor I would consider. Image quality is paramount in my book.

Robert

Return to Photography