Family Photos, A New Look

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Esteemed Member

Family Photos, A New Look

Postby moehler » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:57 am

I've been trying out a little different look for some family photos. I would appreciate any feedback you might give me. I am shooting for something a little more contemporary. It is a family of four (mom, dad and two energetic boys).

http://www.photodex.com/share/moehler/x4pm8mg4

Here is the show I will use to go through the photos with them. There isn't a lot of effects as I trying to highlight the photos. There is also a series of slide of the youngest boy, as I couldn't choose between them (though looking at them now, the first one will probably be pulled.

Re: Family Photos, A New Look

Postby bonalymac » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:23 am

I personally like it apart from the bleed at top and bottom - particularly with a white background bleeding into white screen. It does look better in full screen mode, but you cannot assume it will be watched that way

Left and right do not bother me so much maybe because its not white.

A thin keyline would make all the difference for me
Colin

Esteemed Member

Postby moehler » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:28 am

Thanks Colin.

I will actually be project the show for them. so I have control over that, but it is good to have that feedback as they will leave with a copy of it.

Mark

Postby trulytango » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:12 am

Hi there

I found the image number/ref and the way it appeared, a REAL distraction from each photo. Even though I soon knew to expect it (with each one), and I tried to ignore it, I couldn't. My eye was drawn to it each time it appeared, and away from the pictures. From a show point of view, to be forcing a viewer to look away from the pictures, just to land on a series of numbers did not work for me. I would've preferred to have had the number (if it has to be included) to appear at the same time as the image, maybe somewhat smaller and under the bottom left/right of the image.

Just my thoughts - the photos were of course, very nice.
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby tdew » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:33 am

It's a fun presentation.
Would you use this in place of printed proofs? I would have to have a way to look at the pictures next to one another in order to decide which ones I liked best.

Postby Ron » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:36 am

Hi Mark
Far be it from me to judge your photography as I am no where near your status. Your photos are great, there were one or two that I would remove from the collection, but other than that they look great. I would also agree the numbers to the left were distracting. Maybe use a watermark with very low opacity at the bottom corner of each slide might be better but than again your the pro & I'm not. Great Photos the family should cherish them!
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:57 am

I believe that the index numbers are temporary any will be removed when the actual show is created.
They are annoying as being on the left they are asking to be viewed immediately. I believe it would look more professional if they are placed on the right, smaller, and with no effects and with lower opacity.
I also like the photos but an effect or two created too much distortion for my liking. You are definetly on the right track.
pd
regards.
pd

Esteemed Member

Postby Mac » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:29 am

I have pretty much the same reaction as the others, though I will add that it IS a fun presentation of fun photos. Probably Al would have some valuable feedback?
PSP 0.1
Kaypro 8086 4.77Mhz CPU, 728Kb memory, dual 5.25" high density floppies
Windows 1.0, Windows Paint
Kodak Pocket Instamatic 60 with Magicube
Model E-41 Ditto Machine

Return to Photography