Proper Size Pre-Cut Mats For Todays Cameras !!

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Proper Size Pre-Cut Mats For Todays Cameras !!

Postby Ron » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi All
Am I wrong here or is just me???
OK film cameras are pretty well gone for the most part. Digital has pretty much taken over all together now, but when I shop for pre-cut mats they are all sized for film prints 16x20, 11x14, 8x10 !! What gives? Why hasn't the mat industry caught up ...it's 2010 already, Digital has been around awhile now. Why must I crop for those size mats if I don't want too ... where are the pre-cut mats for these size prints ...16x24, 13x19, 12x18, 8x12?? Yes I know I can cut my own but thats not my point. I should be able to take full advantage of my raw photos no???
Can't find them retail at all, although I found online, but paying for shipping, not seeing the exact color and praying they don't get ruined during shipping isn't what I want to do. . Am I ranting or does this make sence. What are your thoughts ????
My new Epson prints beautiful 13x19 prints and I want to take full advantage of it.
Am I missing something here??
Ron
Last edited by Ron on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Dave

Re: Proper Size Pre-Cut Mats For Todays Cameras !!

Postby Dave » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:13 am

Hi Ron.
Yep it is an issue. Imperial still reigns in the photographic world (UK). I have a canon printer(USA) but it still shows Imperial.
Buy a photo frame. It shows the photo dimension for the frame. Guess what. Still imperial. I have now set templates with the conversion. It works within 1mm.
Dave

Esteemed Member

Postby moehler » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:02 am

Ron:

I guess I don't see how this is a digital v. film thing. Film could be cropped to any dimension, too. I think think the issue that precut mat are in the most popular sizes. I don't think a manufacture can expect to sell mats of any and all sizes in enough quantity to justify their expenses. Certainly they could introduce some new sizes, but it would most likely be in smaller quantities.

Just my 2¢.

Robert Barnett

Postby Robert Barnett » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:31 am

moehler,

However, good luck finding any for the digital aspect ratios (sizes and dimensions) I mean come on. There are now 100 times more digital cameras in use today than in all of the years of film combined. Why can't we at least have a mix and why when you do find the rare digital size (like finding dodo's) they cost you out the rear?

Not everyone wants to crop their digital camera images to fit frames for a format that is all but dead except for a few unenlightened and why should we in this day and age. Besides photo processors can embrace the digital world why can't the frame and matte world?

Robert

Postby Ron » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:16 am

Hi All
Dave thanks for your thoughts and Robert I see your on my bandwagon. Mark you could be 100% right, it might not be a digital / film issue - but I'm talking without cropping. After a little more thought I realize that 35mm negatives were 24mm x 36mm or a 2x3 ratio - and my d80 sensor is 15.8x 23.6 or a 2x3 ratio - are both in the same ratio. Therfore how 5x7, 8x10,11x14, 16x20 came about I'm not sure as I thought they were in relation to the 35mm negative. Maybe medium format????
4x6 & 8x12 were then added later on which does fit the 2x3 ratio.
NE1 heve any thoughts or knowledge on the subject, there must have been some sort of logic for creating those sizes.
Thanks Ron
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Postby jimalee » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:07 pm

Ron,
You hit the nail on the head. Yes, 35mm is basically the same and this is not a digital issue. It is a problem with pre-cut mats and ready made frames. And it has been a problem that goes back as far as I can remember (and I have been shooting photograpy for 30 + years).
The problem is that 8x10, etc has been the standard and has been carried over from old, old formats. I'm pretty sure that it carries over to the old 4x5 sheet film format, but who knows for sure. Medium formart was usually square and was the most popular in the '60's, so it goes back further.
Whatever the reason, it is a pain. People always ask for "8x10" just because it is. :(
I know that it forces me to go custom mats, internet and/or custom frames on almost everything. I do most of my cropping in the camera, so it does cause issues.
ProShow Producer 4.5
Photoshop CS5
Lightroom 3.0

Nature Photography Website: http://www.leapinglodge.com

Postby Ron » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:16 am

Thanks for your input jimalee. Going to the internet for custom mats & frames also raises the cost substantialy. Have you found any decent price sellers on the net?
Ron

Postby jimalee » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:27 am

"Have you found any decent price sellers on the net?"
Sorry, I really haven't found much lately. Most of my mats are for show, muesum quality and not cheap. That said, I do get good service from Frame Destination.com. They do my "big" stuff for display.

JIm
ProShow Producer 4.5
Photoshop CS5
Lightroom 3.0

Nature Photography Website: http://www.leapinglodge.com

Postby PhotoMill » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Let's carry this a tad further...

Go into any photo paper shop and you will find all kinds of 13 x 19 papers. Everything from glossy right up to the weave fabric. But, now try and find a frame to go with that dimension of paper. Almost impossible. I searched high and low in Ontario for a frame dealer but to no avail. I finally found a company in the U.S. that makes a $20.00 frame and so I bought a trial load of 12 frames. The panel is made of food grade clear plastic and works quite well. I'll probably buy more. But to this end, the next probably method of displaying the 13 x 19 would be to go to the photo boards.

Seems to be a mis-sync between paper producers and the framing industry.

...Steve
Tax me...
I'm Canadian, eh?

Canon 50D & 70D, Epson 4990 Scanner, Epson R1800 printer
Lumapix, Paint Shop Pro X6, ProShow Producer 9
Video Studio Pro X5

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:50 pm

They'll fix this dilemma probably about as fast as the hot dog industry can figure out how to package 10 buns instead of 8 to match the package of 10 hot dogs. :?

Mike

Postby Ron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:53 pm

Hey Mike
I don't get to shop very often with a wife & 4 girls but I did earlier today & to my surprise I found an 8 pack of hot dog rolls & an 8 pack of hot dogs.
The stars must have been aligned.
Ron

Return to Photography