Generic or not to Generic??

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Generic or not to Generic??

Postby Deb » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:12 pm

Hi everyone!!

I have a Canon 300D camera (old but it does the job!) and the battery is on it's way out. I got a price for a new one and they cost around AU$90 - however, I can get a generic one for about AU$30. Is it worth getting a generic battery or am I better off to get the genuine thing. Online reviews are very mixed and you never know who is writing them!! One review said that some generic batteries do not work with the original chargers ...???

Any advise would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Deb

Re: Generic or not to Generic??

Postby Astra » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:10 am

Deb,
I do not have any experience with Canon battery - I have Sony Mavica.

I'm using for several years "generic" brand - they are about one-fifth of price of original one.
I have a great experience with it "generic" - usualy I'm getting 3x batteries at same time,
so I've got spare allways ready ....
As for charging & how they fit into chargers - no problem...

Alexandra

Postby tdew » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:52 am

I've used a generic battery in my Canon Video camera without any problems - if that helps.

Postby Oldguy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:06 am

I have two Canon cameras and have had good luck with generic batteries.
I am sure there are good & bad generic also.

Forrest

Postby bonalymac » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:44 am

Generic batteries vary wildly in quality and price.

Here in the UK, we have a major retail outlet called Jessops who sell their own label batteries for most popular cameras. The quality of these are excellent. Other companies such as Hahnel http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm/page/batteries (and I'm sure many others) make excellent quality batteries. You will have your own local equivalents.

I would keep an eye out for a trusted retailer and buy from them. You'll get significant savings and some of the batteries are even higher powered than the originals (especially if an old make). Just make sure the power you buy is at least equal to the original otherwise your camera may not work. You should also get some guarantee period as well.
Colin

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:27 pm

I have used Sterlingtek Batteries for years in my 10D and 30D. Great performance. Your 300D takes the same battery. I have two in the Grip and have yet to ever run out of power. Take a look here: http://sterlingtek.com/ln03-canon-bp-511-dlc511.html

I purchased the two pack combo which gives you another charger http://sterlingtek.com/dc51-2-pack-cano ... combo.html for $35 USD. The charger is more cheaply made than the Canon, it makes a buzzing noise while charging, but it is over 3 years old and working great.

Regards,
-Vernon

Postby Deb » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks everyone! I will definately give the generic a try and maybe buy the new style pack with the money I save!!

One more question - I checked out the links you posted and I noticed on the link that Vernon posted that the battery pack he purchased had 2000 mAh ..... would you recommend that to be a minimal mAh? I have found a few sites that are local but they don't seem to go as high as 2000 mAh - they are around 1500mAh.

I just checked my original battery and it is 7.4V and 1100mAh .... I don't have a clue what all this means but I am guessing from that that the 1500mAh would be OK but might not last as long as the 2000mAh?? :? Who knew buying a new battery could be so complicated!! :shock:

Thanks again for your responses
Deb

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:55 am

Deb,
You are thinking on the right lines. The voltage needs to be correct, then the milliAmpHour will give you an indication of how long the battery will last. So 2000 mAH has twice the stored power of 1000 mAH given at the same voltage. There are other factors to consider such as thermal efficiency that comes into play, but for a general indication, what I said is true.

Regards,
-Vernon

Robert Barnett

Postby Robert Barnett » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:25 am

If you camera is out of warranty go for a good quality generic. If it is in warranty do with OEM or you will void your warranty.

Some camera makers have taken to fixing their cameras so they detect third party batteries and will not work. Panasonic is one such company. Sony I believe is another one.

My opinion is generics just aren't worth the $ savings. They tend to be lower quality, hold less power, don't last as long, tend to over heat more, you have less legal recourse should they damage you camera. There can also be compatibility issues that can cause the camera to flake out, mis-write images to the memory card and even damage the memory card.

Its like Russian Roulette. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. For me my camera is important enough that I won't risk it. I don't feel I have to be that cheap.

Robert

Postby Astra » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:15 am

To Robert:
Robert Barnett wrote: .....// ....
Some camera makers have taken to fixing their cameras so they detect third party batteries and will not work. Panasonic is one such company. Sony I believe is another one. ...// ... Robert

Thanks for interesting view ...
My experience with "generic" Sony Batteries is very good one - my Sony camera is almost 10 year old, I was running original Sony & generic gatteries, too. Always had pack of 3 batteries (and alternating them) and they - regardless of type - lasted max 3 years.
I guess, I was lucky - never had a problem with either of batteries.

Alexandra

Postby tomdavis » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:39 pm

Deb: I took it upon myself to go SEARCHING on the web for your original or Generic battery for the Canon 300D. My suggestion is to go on the web and research that battery for the price you want to pay and the place you want to order that does not cost a fortune in postal service.

I found twin generic batteries for $23 but the run of the mill for the single batter is around $13. I buy my batteries from B&H or Andorama (if they have them) or go get the best price at a local store.

The 2000 Mah is the way to go. You will notice it costs a little more than the 1000 Mah ones. The one post you read about this is correct.

Batteries are not for life. You can take a new one off the shelf and it is dead in a couple of days but can be replaced by the place you bought it. Even car batteries are that way.

Bottom line: Australia is a BIG so look around at local stores and go for the generic.

Tom

Postby Deb » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and opinions - it helps to get some honest feedback. My camera is out of warranty so I will probably go for a generic - I just have to find one that meets all our requirements! I will post where I eventually get mine from for any fellow Aussies out there!!

Thanks again :wink:
Deb

After some more searching .......

The highest capacity I can find is 1800mAh but the listing says that it is 7.2V where mine is 7.4V .... other web listings have said that the 7.4V is compatible with 7.2V so is the opposite also true?? :?

Here is the link with all the info if you are interested
http://www.techrific.com.au/canon-bp-51 ... 11a040f2e8

Postby heckydog » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:20 am

Deb wrote:
The highest capacity I can find is 1800mAh but the listing says that it is 7.2V where mine is 7.4V .... other web listings have said that the 7.4V is compatible with 7.2V so is the opposite also true?? :?

2/10th of a volt won't make a difference. Batteries usually have a tolerance of + or - .5 volts anyway and most products that use batteries will work within a certain range of the listed voltage without any problems.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting the absolute highest mAh battery you can find either. If your original battery was rated at 1000mAh for example and you were able to take all the pictures you needed before recharging then anything above that is just a safety margin.

I just got a Sony camcorder that came with a 850mAh battery that was rated for about 90 minutes I think. I bought a generic battery for a backup that is rated at 4500mAh!! (because it was only $35). That's around 7 hours of videotaping. There's no way on Earth I would be taping for 7 straight hours but it's there if I need it. :wink:

Joe

Postby Deb » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:16 pm

Thanks Joe! :wink:

Esteemed Member

Postby mikemullett » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:24 pm

Bought a 3rd party battery for my new Panasonic Lumix TZ10 for 10GBP. Charged it up and fitted to the camera, up came a message on the screen "THIS BATTERY CANNOT BE USED WITH THIS CAMERA" :cry: . Fortunately the retailer refunded the amount. Genuine Panasonic battery - £46.99 - Ouch :(

Mike
There's no such thing as problems, only challenges
Nikon D5300 DSLR, PSP, Photoshop CS6, Premiere Elements 8, Adobe After Effects. Have just built a Win 7 Core I5 machine, 8G ram, 1TB hard disk

Next

Return to Photography