Photographing sunsets

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Honorary ProShow PHD

Photographing sunsets

Postby Rosemary » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have moved to a town where we get to see some beautiful sunsets. I wonder if someone can explain why I get a "ring" around the sun when I shoot towards it. I use a Nikon Coolpix P90 with the setting to "sunset" and I usually Zoom in a little which make the colours stand out more.
What do you think I am doing wrong and any suggestions as to how to fix this would be appreciated.

http://www.photodex.com/share/appleby/w7dp8mg4

Thanks,

Rosemary

Site Admin

Re: Photographing sunsets

Postby MG - Admin » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:35 pm

Rosemary:

You're seeing lens flare. Some of the light entering your lens is straying off the intended path and is reflecting off of internal parts of the lens before reaching the sensor. Pointing the camera directly into the sun is a common cause of lens flare. Some lenses are more susceptible to this problem than others. The only real cure is to not aim the camera directly into the sun. You may have to try composing your shot with the sun to the left or right thirds of the image and use a lens hood to try and reduce the amount of flare.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Rosemary » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:51 am

Thanks Mike, Good advice and I shall try it out tonight.

Rosemary

Postby Magmatic » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:57 pm

Yes, you are seeing flare. It can be objectionable, but sometimes not. It can add color and life to a picture. I would experiment with different aperature settings and placing the sun in different areas of the frame. I have not tried it, but probably a slight change in position can change the quality of flare. Just yesterday, I made some shots with the sun peeking through trees. I got a cross drawn in large rosy spots. Sometimes flare is a good thing.
David Shuford

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Rosemary » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply and insight. I did try with the sun in the left third and the focus centre shot. I think I did not move the focus away enough though. The sunset was quite pronounced so perhaps that had something to do with it. I tried to get a lens hood today in London Drugs and apparently Nikon do not make a hood for my camera. I shall try using my hand as a shield and hope not to photograph too many fingers!!

Rosemary

Postby heckydog » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:03 pm

It's kind of funny in a way that you're trying to get rid of the lens flare when there's software out there that all it does is make lens flares. You're getting for free, what cost me over $100 :wink:

http://www.videocopilot.net/products/opticalflares/

Joe

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Rosemary » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi Joe,
I am sure you are making better use of your programme than I would. It looks fun though.

Rosemary

Postby Magmatic » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:58 pm

Rosemary, I don't have much of an answer. The flare you got was large and right around the sun, and I can see how that might be objectionable. It is what it is. Your camera has aperature priority, so I'd try different F-stops and see how that affects things.
David Shuford

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Rosemary » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi Joe,

This camera is fairly new to me so I am still experimenting. It is the next step up from a "point and shoot" but I am very pleased with the pictures it takes. It is the photographer who needs training :lol:

Rosemary

Return to Photography