canon rebel question

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

canon rebel question

Postby HunnyB » Thu May 27, 2010 5:40 am

I have a canon rebel EOS T1i. All of a sudden when I connect to my computer to
download my images the camera is saying "BUSY" and it won't show up under "my computer".
This is the first time this has happened. Yesterday it worked and I got to transfer my images, but when I tried to delete off my card all of this started. Any ideas?????? Thanks in advance for any help.
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Re: canon rebel question

Postby debngar » Thu May 27, 2010 6:07 am

I'm not sure what the problem is Hunny. I never download pictures via the camera to my computer because that would tie up my camera and waste battery power unless it was plugged into an external power source. Instead, I remove the flash card from the camera, place it in a flash card reader connected to my computer and download pictures that way.

I have had the "busy" message happen to me sometimes when an external drive is plugged in. For some reason, even though I'm done with it and I've gone through the steps to "safely remove" the hardware, I get a message that it's still "busy" or in use. Sometimes if I just try stopping the device again it works. Other times, I can't get it to stop being "busy" and instead resort to shutting down the computer (the proper way) and then removing the hardware. I think sometimes the computer is still accessing the device and it won't let you stop it to remove it and I don't know why it does that.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby gpsmikey » Thu May 27, 2010 6:17 am

A couple of things to try - first reboot the computer - they get confused sometimes :? Also, make sure the camera is in the correct "mode" for connecting to the computer - some cameras have to be set in a particular mode to connect correctly. I would also second Debbie's comment about using a card reader and removing the card from the camera to read it. I never connect my camera to the computer - I always read the cards in the card reader I have in the computer. Another suggestion I just remembered - I always COPY the files from the card to the computer - after they are all copied to my "transfer folder" THEN I will delete them from the card. I have had too many cases of trying to MOVE a folder where something happens and the move aborts and you are left with some files here, some there and possibly some in the twilight zone somewhere :evil:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby HunnyB » Thu May 27, 2010 8:18 am

I will try the suggestions.
I usually do what ya'll said about the card, but my computer won't handle
the one I am using in my Canon. :evil:
It is an 8Gb SDHC
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby HunnyB » Thu May 27, 2010 8:21 am

well, well, well.....so simple - re-booting did the trick.
HunnyB

Postby heckydog » Thu May 27, 2010 9:19 am

HunnyB wrote: . . . . . .
I usually do what ya'll said about the card, but my computer won't handle
the one I am using in my Canon. :evil:
It is an 8Gb SDHC

I just bought a Koutech, 3-1/2", card reader from Newgg for $20, no tax, free shipping. It would fit in the 3-1/2" slot where a floppy drive might go, or in an open 5-1/4" bay with an adapter, which is what I had to do ( see pic). It plugs into a open USB port on your mobo which hopefully you have.

I had a Sandisk USB reader that was okay on my old computer but for some reason the new computer with W7 took forever to read the files. This new Koutech reader is terrific, it reads just about everything including the SDHC cards for my newer camera, a Canon EOS XS.

mikey,

I do what you do as far as copying photos to my hard drive but I add one more step. I don't delete the pictures on the card until I have backed up my hard drive to another hard drive or done a ghost image (preferred method :wink: )

Joe

Postby gpsmikey » Thu May 27, 2010 11:15 am

Actually Joe, I am close to what you do - in reality I transfer them to the transfer folder, sort out the bad ones, rename them with my rename utility then move them to the main pictures directories. After moving to the final directories, I then delete all images from the card. Every night at 11pm, my backup utility copies all new images not only to a different physical drive in my machine, but to a shared partition on my Linux machine as well so there are a few hours there where there is only a single copy, but not for long :lol: Oh boy - more disk space - just got my two new 1TB SATA drives from Newegg that were on sale for $70 each with free shipping. See how these work (first time I have used the Samsung but they seem to get good reviews)

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby BenM » Fri May 28, 2010 7:07 am

Hunny B, if your card reader cannot read the 8GB card it may be that your driver needs to be updated. You can download it from your PC or card reader manufacturer's website.

Postby HunnyB » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:43 am

Ben, I updated my drivers. Now it just says that if have an I/O device error. It tries to read the card, but just can't. I have an HP Media Center M370n desktop. Running XP.
Thanks for the advice. I did see others I need to update too. So, thanks. :D
HunnyB

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:59 am

You may well need to replace your card reader with a newer one - the older readers in many cases can't handle (or handle it very poorly) the newer SDHC and UDMA CF cards the newer cameras are using. I had to put a new reader in my system to handle the newer cards I use in my Nikon D300s - the AFT Pro-35U seems to work well and handles most of the different cards out there. Newegg has them
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820176015
not the cheapest card reader out there, but it gets good reviews and I have been happy with mine (I thought I had a problem with it, but it turned out to be one of the other USB devices causing the issue). 8 gig memory cards transfer fairly quickly now.

mikey

dnmilikan

Postby dnmilikan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:00 pm

I have never used a card reader when downloading images from my EOS 5DII. There really is no benefit to doing it that way of which I am aware. I would think that the problem with the recognition problem is that the EOS utility (not driver) needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled. That utility is found on the disc that came with the camera.

Postby HunnyB » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:01 am

dnmilikan wrote:I have never used a card reader when downloading images from my EOS 5DII. There really is no benefit to doing it that way of which I am aware. I would think that the problem with the recognition problem is that the EOS utility (not driver) needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled. That utility is found on the disc that came with the camera.

I love just popping out the card and inserting it into my desktop and off I go.
Having to hook the camera up and all of that is a hasle. IMHO. :lol:
I will try the disc. Thanks!!!

And Mikey --- I may have to do what you did.
HunnyB

Return to Photography