CS5 videos from Mark S. Johnson Photography

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

CS5 videos from Mark S. Johnson Photography

Postby rdurga » Mon May 24, 2010 11:33 am

Hi,

I used to follow him for a number of years and have many many videos from his tutorials - all free. Now a days, I am not active with photoshop updates due to lack of concentration and some other constraints. He is good in his explainations. However you need time to go through his tutorials. Those of you who are interested, pl go to his web site and findout the details. If any of you need clarifications or detais, I will be happy to provide whatever I can.

The following is email from Mark. I happened to see his message today.

"Please join me for the next ten days as we explore Photoshop CS5's most interesting and useful new features at http://www.msjphotography.com . Each day, we'll examine one of CS5's remarkable additions.

If you're too excited to wait ten days (or if you'd like to support my site), click here to download the entire ten tutorial series for $9.95. For the next two Thursdays, these CS5 videos will replace the Photoshop Workbench, but don't worry, the Workbench will return to its regular spot on Thursday, May 27.

Here's a schedule of upcoming tutorials:

Thursday, May 13 - Content-Aware Fill and Heal
Learn secrets for retouching with Content-Aware Fill and Content-Aware Spot Healing.

Friday, May 14 - Refine Edge Refinements
Discover how to use the Refine Edge (Refine Mask) dialog in a compositing workflow, while exploring the dialog's new Edge Detection, Smart Radius, Refine Radius, Erase Refinements, Decontaminate Colors, and Output To features.

Saturday, May 15 - Tools Enhancements
Take a journey into CS5's tools enhancements, including a Crop tool Rule of Thirds overlay, a straightforward Straighten button, a scrubby Zoom tool, a Neutral Density Gradient preset, and several others.

Sunday, May 16 - Camera Raw Improvements
Take a look at Adobe Camera Raw 6.0's new features, including 2010 Processing, vastly improved Noise Reduction, Add Grain, and two significantly improved styles of Post Crop Vignetting.

Monday, May 17 - Automated Lens Correction
Learn how to use the Lens Correction Auto Correction panel to search by lens criteria and automatically remove geometric distortion, chromatic aberration, and vignetting.

Tuesday, May 18 - Layers Enhancements
Take a peek at several new and improved layers features, including Paste in Place, drag-and-drop smart object layering, Layer Styles defaults, and many others.

Wednesday, May 19 - Puppet Warp
Discover secrets for realistically warping parts of a subject using Puppet Warp's remarkable (almost sci-fi) features.

Thursday, May 20 - A Giant Leap for HDR
Take a look at the revamped Merge to HDR Pro feature and the new single image HDR Toning dialog, including HDR presets, ghost removal, and a powerful new slider-based interface.

Friday, May 21 - Bridge Enhancements
Explore improvements to the Batch Rename dialog and learn how to watermark in the Output module.

Saturday, May 22 - Painting on a Photograph with the Mixer Brush
Learn secrets for using CS5's Mixer and Bristle brushes to realistically blend paints with colors in a photograph.

In other noteworthy news, I've decided not to write a Photographer's Photoshop CS5 Companion eBook. Instead, I'm pouring my energy into two other exciting projects.

In addition to releasing the "What's New in CS5" videos, I'm making wonderful progress on an eBook about the spectacular world of HDR. It will feature both Photomatix and Photoshop tutorials, as well as useful workflow information that is absent in many other HDR books. The eBook will also include an image showcase packed with evocative images designed to inspire ideas for your own work. I'm hoping to release the HDR eBook this summer.

My other project is a complete departure from anything I've ever done. If you have children (or a child inside), they'll be intrigued by my upcoming children's book about a boy who dreams of flying. I'm co-writing and co-illustrating the book which features camera-based illustrations that employ HDR and several other creative techniques never seen before in children's books.

Thanks for all of your support and encouragement!"

Re: CS5 videos from Mark S. Johnson Photography

Postby andemande » Mon May 24, 2010 1:56 pm

hi,
that was well meant on your part, but unfortunately as I understand it, nothing is for free any more.
OK, people may feel 10 $ is not much for his tutorials but given the popularity of PS one can expect to find plenty of free stuff at Photoshop Cafe etc coming soon.
I'd prefer to buy a book anyway, but that's because I find it rather difficult to follow video instructions and doing the thing in Photoshop at the same time. Multitasking (grasping?) calls for more brain cells than I was bestowed with. :lol:

Re: CS5 videos from Mark S. Johnson Photography

Postby rdurga » Mon May 24, 2010 2:56 pm

Hi,

I have not checked the site in detail. You can still watch video tutorials for free on the site. I have watched a video clip out of curiosity. Video quality is very good to watch on my laptop. You need to pay only if you want the high resolution video clips.

He also runs workshops with video clips.

You can follow PS book.

In my case, I used to watch saved video clips while practising in photoshop. I find learning was quick.

ram

Return to Photography