Vegas Movie Studio 9

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Honorary ProShow PHD

Vegas Movie Studio 9

Postby Rosemary » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I have given up on Corel VideoStudio Pro X2. Mainly due to lack of support and a poor help menu (for me anyhow) and no manuel. I have downloaded the trial version of Vegas Movie Studio 9 and that appears to do everything that I need with video editing.
My question is :- Can anyone recommend a forum for VegasMovie Studio where the participants are as friendly and tolerant as on this one?

Rosemary

Re: Vegas Movie Studio 9

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:23 pm

Actually yes -- I'm over there :D -- well, anyway, the Sony forums are pretty good - the forum software is not as good, but there are some good people there (I spend most of my time in the Vegas Pro section). I do like Vegas (both the pro and the movie studio version). Check out the forums at
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/Default.asp?
There are a number of sub forums there including one for Vegas Pro and Vegas Movie Studio. (I have both Vegas Pro 9 as well as the Movie Studio Version. I gave up some time ago on Ulead (Media Studio Pro) which got picked up by Corel after Ulead was so poor on support and their products they went away. Corel has not done much better with their stuff (including Video Studio which was Ulead also). VASST also has some pretty good training DVD's (I have purchased a number of their DVD's). Vegas is what I use to assemble the chunks of my shows that I create in Producer into the final show.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Rosemary » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:17 pm

Thanks Mikey,
I shall check out the forum. As you probably have guessed by now I need a lot of support on this technical stuff. I got Video Studio a year ago because I have had PaintShop Pro since version 8 and I thought that I would find a Coral product somewhat familiar - how wrong can you be!!!

Rosemary

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:53 pm

Well, you have to remember - Corel's recent business plan seems to be to buy up all these other companies and sell the products (although support seems to be not part of the deal). Paintshop Pro was Jasc or something like that if I remember. Video Studio, Media Studio Pro, DVD Movie Factory, Cool 3D, and a bunch of others were Ulead. Corel originally had Corel Draw, Corel Paint and some other parts. You are getting programs that are actually from totally different companies which is why they don't have a common interface/theme.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Esteemed Member

Postby twodoor55 » Sat May 01, 2010 6:08 am

Have you ever used Pinnacle Studio? I have it and was thinking of changing to Vegas.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Thomas A. Edison
US inventor (1847 - 1931)

Postby gpsmikey » Sat May 01, 2010 8:38 am

Pinnacle Studio (at least in the past) has not had a happy following. Sony Vegas (either Pro or Movie Studio) or Premiere Elements are generally more popular and better products from people I have talked to. You can get Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro Pack for $80 from Amazon (check out the reviews of the users - there are over 130 comments posted ). They also have Adobe Premiere Elements 8 for $78 - over 110 user comments on that although I was surprised to see the ratings were significantly lower than Vegas Movie Studio. Anyway, check out the comments from other users and you can get a good idea what you can do and can't do as well as issues that have caused others problems. In general, I have been happy with both Vegas Movie Studio Platinum and Vegas Pro (the big version) that I have. They all take some getting used to, but when you start playing with something as complicated as video etc, that is to be expected - I would rather have to spend time learning which hoops to jump through to do what I wanted than spend that time to find out you can't do it with that software :lol:

With the Movie Studio - check out the differences between the regular, Platinum and Platinum Pro Pack versions - In the past, the Platinum version included the Dolby AC3 encoder. Not sure just what the Platinum Pro Pak has in addition, but for that price, I would just get that version (according to the specs, NTSC DVD's are supposed to have at least one audio track that is either AC3 or LPCM audio - many people (and Producer as well) get away with using Mpeg Layer2 for the audio, but some of the older DVD players will not play that audio).

mikey

Esteemed Member

Postby twodoor55 » Sat May 01, 2010 8:52 am

Thanks for the feedback, I have had Studio for awhile and have been unhappy with it. Crashing, and when you upgrade, it's a nightmare. So I have been seriously looking at going to a different platform. Again, thank you for the feedback. : )
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Thomas A. Edison
US inventor (1847 - 1931)

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Rosemary » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:33 pm

Mikey, I have been playing with Vegas Movie Studio 9 for the trial period and have decided to buy it. I can get the basic version for $54 ish and the Pro Version from Best Buy for $104 (Can) By now you must have a fairly good idea about my tec. abilities :? Which version do you think would be better? I would hate to get the basic version and then need to upgrade soon.

Thanks again,

Rosemary

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:59 pm

Hi Rosemary -- here is a link to a comparison chart between the versions of Movie Studio:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/mov ... hd/compare
The "Platinum" versions include an AC3 audio encoder (technically, you are supposed to use either PCM or AC3 for the audio on NTSC DVD's however, most people seem to get away using the MP2 (compressed) format). The "Platinum Pro Pack" also includes their 1001 Sound effects (which aren't bad), some New Blue 3D video transitions (not sure which ones they are, but in general, the New Blue stuff is pretty good) and it also includes the Sound Forge Audio Studio 9 sound editing program. I have not used Sound Forge that much, but it seems OK and works well with Vegas generally. The basic editing / features of the versions of Movie Studio are the same - just the extras are different.

You might want to snoop around a bit - Amazon has the Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack for $65:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Vegas-Movie- ... B001CPHTAQ

Hmmm - interestingly enough, I notice that Amazon indicates that the Movie Studio 10 HD will be released June 8th - I have no experience with that version but I suspect unless you have some serious horsepower in your machine, HD is a pain.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Vegas-Movie- ... B003L51CZ8
I have not been following the Movie Studio side too much recently - I use Vegas Pro 9 and there is no indication that a version 10 is due out very soon (we're still hoping for some of the bugs in 9 to be fixed - they just released 9.0e a couple of weeks ago :D )

mikey

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Rosemary » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:02 pm

Thanks Mikey. You have given me some good pointers.

Rosemary

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:05 pm

For anybody interested in Vegas Media Studio 10 (the new version) for your toolbox, check out this thread in the Sony Vegas Forums -- sounds like some cool new features in 10 !
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/for ... eID=714182
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope

Sounds like some cool new features for those of us that work with video as part of our shows.

mikey

Return to Photography