Nikon D90

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Valued Member

Nikon D90

Postby photoshowstudio » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:18 pm

My wife has sacraficed for me in the past to let me follow my passion . . . making slideshows and trying to start a business doing slideshows. Now it is time for her to get something special she has wanted for a VERY long time... a Nikon D90. I see them on Amazon and Nextag, but this is a fairly expensive camera (or at least it is to someone who has limited income). Is there another place I might look for it that may sell it cheaper than those two places?? I would like to get this for her for Christmas (it's April now, so there is only 8 more shopping months till Christmas) but feel overwhelmed. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Nikon D90

Postby texan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:52 pm

Nikon has a very strong pricing structure and there's not much room for negotiation. Be careful of the New York Camera stores that sell "genuine" Nikons that are NOT genuine Nikons.......They've been boot legged somehow
outside of Nikon's normal distribution chain and Nikon WILL NOT repair them; even if you're willing to pay.

I have both a Nikon D40 and a D90 and I can tell you that both cameras are worth every penny.........If you don't need 12mega pixels you might also consider a D50. You could even consider a used one..........

I shoot slide shows ar 6Mega pixels and most every thing else at 12 megapixels.......I hardly enlarge past 16x20
enlargements and they're gorgeous.......visit the below web site.......it'll tell you every thing you'd ever want to know about the D90...........it's even better than the D90 manual........good luck with your decision........

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/users-guide/index.htm
Texan

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:29 am

Texan has given you some good advice. Remember what your mother told you. If it seems to good to be true.... I would also add to check the B&H Photo site http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=nikon+d90&N=0&InitialSearch=yes . Though they do not always have the lowest prices, they do have a good reputation and the pricing is competitive.

Regards,
-Vernon

Postby Bob R » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:44 am

I bought my new D90 from amazon.com through the kenrockwell.com site. Main reason was that I find Ken Rockwell's site useful for all kinds of photo information and buying through his links gives him a little "commission" on the sale.

However, not long ago I bought a D70s, for use as a backup, on Ebay. I got a good camera at a good price. A friend also bought a very nice D40 for under $400 (including lens) on Ebay last week. So, you might give Ebay a look. You do have to be careful if you buy on Ebay. There is always a risk. However, if you check the listing carefully, and also check the seller's feedback, you can pick up some really good deals. Just don't get in hurry - bid only what you want to pay. If you miss a good one, just remember that there will be an equal or better deal soon.

Good luck!

Bob

Postby rcsteimer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:22 am

I have a D90 and a older D70 and have had very good luck with the cameras.

Something you also need to think about is what lens you want on the camera. Lens are very expensive, sometimes more than the cost of the camera. You may want to start out with a zoom lens in the 18-70 range (28-105 actual).

While you can always find good deals on the internet, look at the local high end camera shops in your area, the camera will cost more, but if there are questions or problems, the store should be able to help you out even if its just helping you submit warrenty paperwork. Where I bought my camera, they provide lifetime cleaning of the camera senser.

Bob S
Bob S
Rochester, NY

Nikon D70 & D90
Windows 7 & Adobe Elements 9 & Producer 4.5

Postby marma0525 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:13 pm

I own and use frequently a D90 and the new D5000 Nikon. Both are worth every penny you pay. Great picture quality, lots of manual adjustments possible if you need them. But Auto mode is quite good for all day picture taking. Both cameras have 12 MP and offer the opportunity to record RAW + fine JPEG.
I love the new D500 due to the movable monitor. This feature comes in very handy when you shoot low the the ground or over a crowd of people. But most importantly I get much better (stable) video images using this camera. With the shoulder strap around my neck I can stabilize the camera around my belt level, and can shoot the video looking at the monitor at a <90 degree angle (looking from the top). If you think about shooting video as well, you should give the D500 a hard look.

Matthias

Postby BenM » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:35 pm

As others have said, buy from a reputable dealer, and make sure you get the USA warranty. The D90 has been available now for about 18 months so it is possible that a replacement version may come out by the end of the year. If that is so, then you will be able to pick up a D90 at a significant discount.

Postby FL Views » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:49 pm

I also have a D90 and a D40; both are excellent choices. I did buy through E-Bay; you can check the sites to determine if you get the full warranty by reviewing the sites and utilizing those with excellent references. I got both in package deals with lens and other equipment included. I have been extremely satifisated with the service I received and the equipment obtained.

Michael

Return to Photography