DSLR Sensor Cleaning

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Re: DSLR Sensor Cleaning

Postby nannybear » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:02 am

Fabulous picture Frankie!!!
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby Ron » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:21 am

Hi Frankie
I'm nevous too and I'm a couple of miles away from Nikon on LI. Maybe I should reconsider? Hmmm
Ron
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Postby Frankie » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:39 pm

Hey, thanks Nannybear. It's good to see you around. I hope your studies are going well.

Ron, I thought the cost was pretty reasonable and you wouldn't have to pay the shipping either. Sounds like you know where it is but here's the address just in case:

Nikon Service & Repair East of the Mississippi River:
Nikon Inc. Photo & Digital Service
Nikon Inc. Factory Service
1300 Walt Whitman Road
Melville, NY 11747

Frankie

Esteemed Member

Postby Jim Adams » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:07 pm

Ron,
I've been cleaning sensors regularly for years without problem. 90 % of the time all you need is air. A rocket blower works great. When you get welded on dust that won't blow off you need more than air. Sensor swabs and Eclipse solution have worked for me for as long as they have been around. I bought a kit online that has a magnifying glass that enables you to see the sensor and all dust spots clearly. Any manufacturer that claims you need to send the camera to them is just trying to get $$ out of you for something you could do yourself in 5 minutes.

Your sensor is a mess ! Too much time retouching. Take a shot of clear blue sky with a long lens. Clean the sensor then take another shot. You'll be amazed.

Postby danielle4831 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:47 pm

This is my set of preferred products which can be ordered from either Adorama or B&H:

Visible Dust SMEAR AWAY SOLUTION
Visible Dust 1.5x/1.6x SWABS ULTRA MXD GREEN
Visible Dust 1.6X SENSOR BRUSH CLEANING KIT
Visible Dust VDUST FORMULA SENSOR CLEANER
Visible Dust SD-800 ARCTIC BUTTERFLY PRO KIT V
Visible Dust SENSOR LOUPE 7x
Pelican 2365 FLASH-NECK LED FLASHLIGHT - I use this to have a better view into the sensor
Visible Dust LENS AND OPTICS CLEANER
Giottos LENS CLEANING KIT w/SMALL ROCKET BLAST
Visual Departures DEWITT'S BOAR BRISTLE BRUSH - I use this to clean around the outside of the lens and around the contacts.

If you go to KelbyTraining.com there is a great video tutorial on the best method for cleaning your sensor,

Postby jimalee » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:57 am

I too have been cleaning my Nikon sensors for years. It isn't fun, but take your time, find a good clean area with lots of light. My hardest problem is seeing the dust that sometimes gets welded on. Most of the above mentioned Eclipse type cleaners work great.
Just take your time and go slow!
ProShow Producer 4.5
Photoshop CS5
Lightroom 3.0

Nature Photography Website: http://www.leapinglodge.com

Previous

Return to Photography