DSLR Sensor Cleaning

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

DSLR Sensor Cleaning

Postby Ron » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:42 pm

Hi All
I was wondering if any of you have cleaned your DSLR sensors yourselves. It's about time my cameras get done, they need it. Post Processing them (even batch) is starting to get to me. I've read quite a bit on how to do it but was really interested if any of you have attempted yet and if so what method did you use.
I know they say send it out to an authorized place to have it done, but I'm confident in myself. I'm leaning towards the ethanol/swab method. Any thoughts or comments are welcomed. Pic is my crude dust test for the D80
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: DSLR Sensor Cleaning

Postby stickgirl » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 pm

Cleaning my sensor isn't something that I like to do, and it makes me nervous, but I do it anyway.

I bought my products at Copper Hill http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.p ... l_Products and I think I just bought the basic kit. There is a tutorial available on the website that was helpful.

Hopefully one of the photographic experts on this forum, which I'm not, will chime in with their suggestions.

Kathy

dnmilikan

Postby dnmilikan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:41 pm

Hi Ron,

I've cleaned my own sensor on my 5D. I don't remember the name of the product and I am too lazy to go dig it out of my case in the car. I bought it at a camera store and the liquid cleaning agent was specifically designated for the 5D.
I had no problems with the procedure.

My newer 5D II and 1DS III self clean on start up and shut down so I don't have that problem any longer.

Donald Miller

P.S. I learned the hard way that one should not blow their breath into the camera in the hope of removing dust. That just makes the dust adhere more firmly to the sensor.

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:05 pm

So far, my D300s has been able to clean any dirt off the sensor with it's built in vibration mode for sensor cleaning. My D70s had some junk on the sensor and I was able to blow it off with one of those "rocket blowers" that people like (they typically show up against a blue sky when you are really stopped down ... just tell people they are lonely clouds :lol: I have purchased a couple of sensor cleaners that are specifically for the Nikon sensors with the new coating, but fortunately, I was able to just get the stuff off without having to actually touch the sensor (well, the cover for the sensor). I was a bit nervous the first time I peeked in there though :shock: One advantage to film - you had a "new" sensor each time you advanced the film :twisted:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby weldr » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Hey Ron, I'm with Kathy...don't like to but I do. This was a topic here a few years ago. I went with the Coppertone...Copperhill? I tell my wife I'm getting ready to have open heart surgery on my camera. Don't have a glass of wine to calm your nerves..save that for after. Scary the first time but it does get easier. I've had my 'kit' for a good two years now. Don
Canon EOS 50D,PSE7,Latest Producer, new computer...don't know specs off hand but runs Producer with no problems.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:20 pm

I've also used the Copperhill method. When the dust is welded on to the sensor, the only way to get it off is to wet it. The alcohol used evaporates quickly and cleanly. Also, make sure you get good lint free swabs.

Regards,
-Vernon

Postby Ron » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:46 pm

Well thanks for the responses
Kathy - I appreciate your info & link regarding Copper Hill.
Don M - Wish mine was self cleaning & glad to see you accomplished it.
Mikey - I did try the jet blower with very little success, Film has its benefits!
Don - Another Copper Hill, funny open heart story, I'll keep a bottle of wine close by!
Vernon - Another Copper Hill w/ good swabs, gotcha.
The consensus tells me that I should check out Copper Hill, relax have a glass of wine & prepare for surgery.
Keep the heart monitor on & pray the patient lives!!
Thanks All
Ron
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Postby yellowstone » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:46 am

Hi Ron,

Check out VisibleDust.
After a lot of investigation I settled for their Arctic Butterfly and for me it works really well.
It is easy, portable and uses no liquids which is a plus when traveling.

http://www.visibledust.com

Regards
Robert

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:14 am

Another option would be to take up shooting dalmations :D

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap100401.html

Happy April 1st :twisted: :twisted:

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby rdurga » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:33 am

Did you hear the latest news from Microsoft? Apparently it isn't making enough money selling software. So, it has started a cleaning business: Microsoft Window Washing.

Early reports indicate an above-average rate of window breakage. And it costs a lot for the good service. However, you do get a free 30-day trial run for office contracts.

OK, just kidding. Pranks and hoaxes are a tradition on April Fool's Day. Whether it's silly or subtle, you'll probably encounter one or two. Of course, most of us now expect it and aren't easily tricked.

Sometimes, however, the hoax is very well done. Put enough effort into it and you can get away with a lot. This is especially true if you're usually a legitimate information source.

Thus we get reports on spaghetti harvests, decreasing gravity, and whistling carrots. And some people actually believe them! Check out this site to read about more April Fool's Day hoaxes.

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/aprilfool/P0/

ram

(Courtesy: kim komando)

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:35 pm

Those are definitely some classics. Interesting what the power of suggestion can do - the one about the gravity and the women claiming to have "floated around the room". On a serious note, remember that in your shows - amazing how much more realistic a "night scene" is if it is not only dark, but someone pulls out a watch and comments on the fact that it is almost midnight or something. You want to see power of suggestion and how it works, look at the effect the original radio broadcast of H.G.Wells "War of the Worlds" had on people !! :shock: :shock:
A well placed image of a clock or calendar can do wonders to set the stage.

mikey

Postby nannybear » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:45 pm

Well so far mine is doing it all by its lone self.....I will cross this bridge when I am forced too! too much else to learn.... :oops: hugs Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby Ron » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:54 pm

Hey Jan
Nice to see ya back at least for the moment!
Ron

Postby nannybear » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks Ron! I am going to try to at least pop on every other day. I miss everyone, their comments, talent and brilliance....could someone tell the Lord I need 4 more hours in the day!!! hugs to you buddy.....
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby Frankie » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:26 am

Hi Ron,
I'm always nervous about cleaning my sensor myself although I know lots of people do it with no problem. I took a tumble while photographing in the streets of Boston and landed on my Nikon D700 (Ouch! ... hurt body & soul because I not only hurt my ribs but my camera as well. Looked pretty silly too.). I sent it in to Nikon to fix a few things and had my sensor cleaned at the same time. The service center is located in Long Island - if you have a Nikon and that appeals to you. They also did a software upgrade.

Good luck either way,
Frankie

Next

Return to Photography