Pocket Camera

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Pocket Camera

Postby bellzerr » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:25 am

I'm considering the purchase of a pocket camera to keep in my glove compartment so it's handy for all those times when you "wish you had your digital SLR camera" with you. I'm looking for 10M min. and the more "optical" zoom the better (for digital zoom I'll just process on my PC). Price is not the primary decision factor but I certainly want good value for my investment. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Mark

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Pocket Camera

Postby DickK » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:54 am

Personally, in that category, I love the Canon Powershot series. Excellent sensor used and terrific price/performance. I've given both my grown kids and my wife one, so I see a lot of shots from them and I like what I see. There are a couple new ones in the line that look interesting. My family is using ones in the 'A' series, the latest one of which is a A590IS.

I'm thinking about getting one for me so I can take it when I travel with just one, small bag.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Ron » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:00 am

Hi Mark
I think you could get a lot of different answers here but heres my 2 cents. Money is a factor! More good bell & whistles = more money as you know.NIKON P100 A friend of mind who works for Nikon had a test drive of which I partaked in.

The Nikon P100 digital image results were superb IMO, but so was the hd video. Some very nice features...10 mp, 25x opt zoom (wow), image stabilization, hdr option, 10fps & more ......video, hd up to 1080p, stereo mic, hdmi connectivity and more.....In a compact camera ...wow I was impressed for sure.

This is available in March at about $349 check out Nikon site for all the details Heres Cnet Review
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10446062-1.html

Maybe too dear to buy or not ... but you could you it as a benchmark for value on your dollar maybe.
Just my 2 cents
Ron
PS: Toys are fun!
Last edited by Ron on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Postby caganaudie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:57 am

If you want lot of zoom in your pocket - check out the new Canon sx200is
Costco price $289.00

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:34 am

caganaudie wrote:check out the new Canon sx200is

My wife has this camera and it takes nice photos, and even does 720p HD video.

Postby Barbara_K » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:13 pm

The following link may be helpful to you. It's a DPReview group test of compact super zoom cameras. I have the Panasonic DMC-ZS3 and highly recommend it. It can be found for around $250. A new model, the DMC-ZS7, is coming out soon but sample images from the ZS7 have been disappointing.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209grouplongzoom/

Hope this helps,
Barbara

Valued Member

Postby Codebreaker » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:43 pm

I use a Panasonic LX3 for those times when I don't want to lug around the dSLR kit. It doesn't have a great Zoom Range but does have a fast lens and lets me shoot in RAW format, which is my preference.

Another requirement was for a 3:2 aspect ratio which many compacts don't offer. The LX3 does 4:3, 3:2, 16:9 and 1:1

Image quality is good at low ISO but needs some work at higher settings. Shutter Lag can be a problem after using a dSLR but I can't say if its better or worse than any other compact.

I confess it was a split decision between this and the Canon G10 but I'm happy with what I have. Doesn't match up to my Canon dSLR though.

Colin

Postby silverfox » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:44 pm

From www.steves-digicams.com about the Canon SX200is
- designed for those who want a great deal of versatility packaged into a small frame, the SX200 IS is yet another example of Canon's commitment to offering the latest in technology and ingenuity. The SX200 is an awesome little camera, with very few flaws. Image quality is excellent, as is shooting performance in single shot mode. If you are one who is in the market for a versatile super-zoom that can be tucked away in your purse, backpack or briefcase, look no further. With a street price of US$379 or less, we feel this camera offers an outstanding value for the amount of features and portability you are receiving.

Great little camera

Postby duglas50 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Steves-digicams.com is a great resource to check out before you buy.

Doug
Family Heritage Photography
http://www.familyheritagephotography.com
    Producer 5.0, Photoshop Elements 14, Lightroom 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 9, Topaz Adjust, Portrait Professional, On1 Photo 10, ImgBurn, Audacity, Nikon D7200, D5000

Esteemed Member

Postby Aida » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:42 pm

bellzerr wrote:I'm considering the purchase of a pocket camera to keep in my glove compartment so it's handy for all those times when you "wish you had your digital SLR camera" with you. I'm looking for 10M min. and the more "optical" zoom the better (for digital zoom I'll just process on my PC).
Mark

Hi,
It seems that we all have our own favorite pocket cameras. Myself, I'm very happy with my Canon G9 camera, which I've had for a couple of years now. Sure, a bit bigger & heavier than the usual pocket camera, but still small & light enough for me to take it with me unobtrusively everywhere.

In addition to the links provided by other Enthusiast forum members, here's yet another review, this one written earlier this month by David Pogue: "Best Cameras for $300 or Less." Here's the link in case you're interested:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/04/techn ... pogue.html

Pogue writes regularly for the Technology section of the NY Times.
Have fun shopping for a new toy!
-aida
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must
carry it with us or we find it not." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Postby tdew » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:16 pm

I bought the Canon sx200is before my last trip because I wanted something that was not too bulky, but still had good zoom. I'm very happy with it.

I wonder though about keeping a camera in the glove compartment in PA? I would like to do that, but worry about the cold and the heat causing problems. ??

Valued Member

Postby DanMac » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:01 pm

Bellzerr,

Just purchased a Canon G11for my wife. It takes great pics, has video, Raw + JPEG. Really like the camera. Here is a review from Steve's Digicams.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/canon/powershot-g11/steves-conclusion-28.html

Dan
Dan

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:17 am

Mark,
I would have to agree about keeping a camera in the glove box. That is asking to destroy a great camera. In the summer, the heat from a car interior can easily exceed 120 degrees Fahrenheit. This will liquify some of the lubrication used in the camera. In the winter time, it can get cold enough to destroy the liquid crystal display. So I would not recommend leaving a camera in those extremes unless you want to replace it. The warranty will not cover this type of damage. My general rule of thumb is that if I can't survive prolonged exposure to those elements, then neither can my camera (water excluded :) ).

Regards,
-Vernon

Postby bellzerr » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:27 am

Well, sure, you can't keep a camera in the glove box all year long. Having lived in PA all my life, I'm well aware of what our auto temperature extremes can do to any electronic equipment. But thanks all for the cautions. :D

Thanks also for all the varied responses. Since I already own a digital SLR, I'm hoping to keep the price below $200 for this compact. I'll certainly check out all the recommendations and "Steve's reviews."
Mark

Return to Photography