Costco now doing big prints in store

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Costco now doing big prints in store

Postby sheldonk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:50 am

Up until a few weeks ago, Costco's in store print departments did prints up to 12 by 18 inches in size.

Starting very recently, they upgraded all the in store equipment. Now they also do 16 by 20's for $5.99 and 20 by 30's for $8.99. I tried it out yesterday. I took a photo I wanted in poster size and scaled it up with Genuine Fractals. Then I uploaded it to my Costco account and placed an order for a 20 by 30. Later that day I went to Costco and picked it up.

Why would I ever buy a wide format printer? I think it would cost just as much for the ink and paper alone!

Thanks Costco!!!

Re: Costco now doing big prints in store

Postby Barbara_K » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:52 am

Sam's Club also does large prints in store, 20 x 30 for $8.96. I recently had a 16 x 20 print done by them for $5.96 and was totally amazed at the quality. I uploaded to my account and it was ready in one hour. I was also pleased that the print was put in a large envelope rather than rolled up. I may have to try Costco next to compare but I can't imagine a better print than Sam's Club.

Barbara

Postby HunnyB » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:21 pm

wow, I am so happy to learn this. I would love to do a photo of our horses for my hubby, and granddaughter.
THANKS for the info :D
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby AMD » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:45 pm

Now, you guys are telling me something I surely didn't know! Thanks for this info. I hadn't really even thought about those stores being a source of the large prints. I'll be checking them out.

Thanks,
Ann

Postby ginger » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:02 pm

This is great to know. Thanks!

So, how high does the resolution need to be for a 20" x 30" print?

ginger

Postby ChrissyC » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:22 pm

Hi Sheldon...I just uploaded 254 8x8 scrapbook pages I designed of my daughters Greece trip, 4 copies of each page for 4 albums for 4 girls...each page was saved to jpg format, uploading them in Costco photo was SIMPLE I chose the date I wanted to pick them up and even let me pick the time! Pictures were there as promised and the quality is GORGEOUS...the entire process from uploading to picking up was very very easy, I am so happy with their printing and no longer want to home print which by the way I estimated an at home print job would have cost me almost double the cost if I had to buy ink and paper. 1.49 a copy for 8 x 8
take care,
Chrissy

Postby sheldonk » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:12 am

I agree Chrissy. It's a great service at a great price!

Enjoy!

Sheldon

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:42 am

Yes, I use Costco for our family calendars (each month has a calendar page and a picture page). Upload the images to Costco, order 8 copies of each as 8 * 12 (@ $1.49 ea) and by the late afternoon or next morning, there they are (and they do a very good job - I turn off the option for "autocorrect").

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby sheldonk » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:59 am

Hi Ginger,

I usually send them files that are 240 dots per inch. That works out to 4800 by 7200 which is about 35 megapixels! I use Genuine Fractals to size up the pictures I want to print. You can do the same thing in Photoshop using the image size function. I find Genuine Fractals does a better job however.

Back in the day of the 3 megapixel digital camera, you wouldn't think about trying this. With todays 10 or 12 megapixel cameras the results are much better. I am still using a 6 megapixel Nikon D70 and the results I get are suprisingly good!

Sheldon

Postby PhotoMill » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:55 am

I just checked this out on the Canadian side. Largest size shown is 8x12 so, the large formats are not yet here. At those prices per print, I can see many printers ending up on shelves. They do 4x6 at .15 cents per which is pretty well standard but even at that most places want you to upload 60+ files. Wal-Mart here is .19/print (4x6) if I'm not mistaken.

...Steve
Tax me...
I'm Canadian, eh?

Canon 50D & 70D, Epson 4990 Scanner, Epson R1800 printer
Lumapix, Paint Shop Pro X6, ProShow Producer 9
Video Studio Pro X5

Postby sheldonk » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi Steve,

Hopefully they will be rolling it out in Canada soon. At the Norwalk, Connecticut store, they told me they very recently started doing the big prints in store.

Sheldon

Postby ginger » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:57 pm

Thanks Sheldon. I have a 10 megapixel camera so hopefully I can get good results on a few photos that I'd like to have enlarged. Unfortunately, some of the ones I wanted to enlarge were taken with a 3 megapixel camera, so I might have to limit my print size on those.

I'm off to check out Genuine Fractals a little more.

Thanks for everything.

ginger

Postby JARHTMD » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:49 pm

A couple of years ago as I was preparing to renew my passport, I took several "head shots" of myself . . . very simple . . . camera on tripod & used the "delay timer", etc. I picked the one I wanted, cropped to 2"x2" as required for passports, duplicated it arranged 6 on a single 4x6 image & uploaded to Walmart.com

1 4x6 print = 16 cents . . . compared to about $16 at the local shop for 2 passport photos . . . AND I had spares to take with me on my trip, as recommended, in case of lost/stolen passport, etc.
Canon EOS 40D, 20D, 60D; Photoshop CS3; PSG 3.2(build 2047)

Postby Auster » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:25 am

I was in a UK branch in Oldham yesterday and noticed that they are now doing 36 x 12 panoramics.

I didn't get the pricing, but I do have some shots ready to take next time I get there.

Postby weldr » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:59 am

Can't upload panoramas to Costco account but can go in and upload in the store. Less than an hour and I had two done. I was very happy with the results. $4.99 each. Now if I could get them matted for that I'd be really pleased. I'm going to have a few more done then see about a discount to have matted. Doing a welding job for a friend so will trade for a few frames. Definetely worth 5 bucks if you need a panorama printed. Don
Canon EOS 50D,PSE7,Latest Producer, new computer...don't know specs off hand but runs Producer with no problems.

Next

Return to Photography