New Camera Purchase

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Marilyn

New Camera Purchase

Postby Marilyn » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:56 am

I just purchased a Nikon D90- my Xmas present. Also two lens ... AF-S Nikkor 70-300 and AF-S Nikkor 17-55. Although I'm really excited about this new DSLR, I hope I can learn to use it effectively.

Mostly I've been using a Sony 717 since it first came out. I've found it to be a fantastic camera - no problems! Will take great photos anywhere! I particularly like the sharpness and color of the photos. Have a couple of cheaper lenses for it. This camera has been used and abused and still continues to shine! I know others with this same camera and they praise this camera highly too.

A couple of years ago, I went to purchase another Sony (DSLR) and ended up with a Canon 20D. Long story short, my experience has been very disappointing. I have been able to get very few acceptable images from this camera. From all the camera reviews, I assumed it was the fault of the handler - and that still may be the reason. Whenever I have have tried to use this camera, I come home with disappointing photos. The sharpness and focus just wasn't there. I have lens 70-300 and 17-55 and a new flash not even out of the box. Recently I only have used it along with my Sony or left it at home. Guess this camera is just not for me.

Did a lot of research again and went to investigate Sony this year due to my success with the 717. Again did not come home with a Sony - now have the Nikon D90. I have had experience with the Nikon before digital and always loved it. The people at the camera shop were overwhelmingly surprised that I was enquiring about the Sony over the Canon and Nikon. Their comments, and the fact that on any photography forums I've been on I hear very little about Sony, led me to go back to Nikon.

I know many use the Canon and Nikon products and get wonderful results. Does anyone have any experience with Sony? I would greatly appreciate some comments.

Marilyn

Re: New Camera Purchase

Postby sheldonk » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:09 am

Hi Marilyn,

My advice is go with the Nikon and don't look back. I don't think you will be sorry.

As I recommended to Leslie with the Nikon D70, you should read Ken Rockwells guide for the camera.

Here is the link: http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/users-guide/d90.pdf

BTW, if you find it useful, send him $5. He spends alot of time putting these manuals together.

I have owned a D70 for 5 years and it still works great. Almost like part of the family!! I wish his guide was available when I first bought it. It helped me figure out alot of things I was doing wrong.

Enjoy your new camera!

Sheldon

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:50 am

Thank you, Sheldon. I have downloaded the manual you suggested - and also sent a $5.00 donation. I'm going to sit down and study it carefully.

We have a lot of new snow here and I've been getting photos of birds at the feeder. I've gotten some great shots even through the window. Lighting isn't always good, but some great detail! Even got a fairly good pic of a pileated woodpecker (rarely seen in this area) off in a tree. The camera's really exciting so far!

Marilyn

Postby sheldonk » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:01 am

As soon as I finish paying for my kids college, I intend to upgrade my D70. Unfortunately, my daughter is only a college freshman and my son is a junior in high school which puts him in the college class of 2015.

Enjoy your new camera!

Sheldon

Postby Ossietwo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:45 pm

I am new to this forum and as yet have not posted any shows but I use the Sony Alpha DSLR. I considered buying Nikon and Canon before deciding on the Sony. The in camera image stabilisation and my experience of other Sony camera products swayed me and I have never regretted my decision.

If you want some more information take a look at the Photoclubalpha forum

http://photoclubalpha.com/forum/index.php

Good luck with your decision

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:23 pm

Marilyn,
I too started with the Sony 707. Great camera, but the 20D is light years beyond it in capability. I purchased the 10D and now have the 30D. The first thing to realize is that the Sony has a lot of depth of field built into it due to the lense design. In order to get the same level of sharpness in your 20D, now your Nikon D70, you will have to use a smaller aperture, which is a bigger number. Start at F8 or F11 and you will see that your focus will magically get better.

Do you typically shoot people, sports or landscape shots?

-Vernon

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:58 am

Marilyn wrote:I just purchased a Nikon D90- my Xmas present. Also two lens ... AF-S Nikkor 70-300 and AF-S Nikkor 17-55. ............................................ I would greatly appreciate some comments.

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

I think you have made a good choice. I am thinking of going back again to SLR and the D90 appears to fit my needs and budget. What is keeping me back is having to carry the weight of the camera plus the lense/s, spare batteries, camera case/or bag and my aching back. Wife has already threatened she would not be involved in carrying any of my stuff. But she has volunteered to carry my handy Canon SX100.

I think you also made a sensible lens choice. I was thinking of getting the 18-105 kit lens to start with and then see what would be suitable as I get experience.

Regards
pd
regards.
pd

Postby FL Views » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:21 am

Hi Marilyn,

"What is keeping me back is having to carry the weight of the camera plus the lense/s, spare batteries, camera case/or bag and my aching back. Wife has already threatened she would not be involved in carrying any of my stuff. But she has volunteered to carry my handy Canon SX100."

I have the D-90 and three lens (not to mention adapters and an SB600 flash). My wife bought me a photo vest that allows me to carry an assortment of lens, flash and other accessories. Because the vest distributes the load I do not find it difficult to carry all day long! The D-90 is not too heavy if you get a good, wide strap.

The vest is great because I can also carry other junk with me (glasses, notebook, pen, bug spray, etc.). If folds very easily and I carry it on my large camera backpack that has wheels (I have never used the bag as a backpack, just the vest; but the backpack bag carries all the gear I might need including another camera body). Just a thought...

Michael

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:47 am

Thanks everyone for all your helpful comments. Sounds like I'll be happy with the D90. And from what I've practiced with the last couple of days, I think I'll really enjoy this camera.

I take a lot of people shots from 4-H club activities, animal shots because we raise llamas and I use photos for promotion and sales. And I really enjoy close ups of birds, flowers, etc. Also like to get action shots of our dog and also llamas when they're performing obstacles in shows. (dimly lit arenas are a problem I haven't conquered. My Sony 717 did really well in that instance with exposure compensation). I really love the 70-300 lens!

For a normal everyday lens, will the 17-55 be sufficient? It seems to be a bit of a wide-angle lens and fast. Will it be a problem for any situations? As you can see, I'm have no expertise in lenses. I was so discouraged by the poor results I got from the Canon 20D, I gave up trying. Now I'm enthusiastic again!

So far, I've been happy to carry the camera with me in order to capture the type of photos that I want. I normally just have my camera bag with my "stuff". Might have to look into one of the backpack style bags. Hubby is always on me about keeping my camera bag out of sight or locked up at an event - he's afraid someone will take it or stuff will get hurt. Can't use it if it's locked up somewhere else!

I can tell you that Sony 717 has been everywhere and used and definitely abused! Inside corn cribs, sitting in the pasture, many medical procedures in the barn, and at many dusty livestock shows and fairs. It's been a real trooper and I'll still probably keep it at hand.

For a smaller point & shoot I also have a Canon 850. Haven't used it much, but plan on learning more about that one now too.

Thanks again,

Marilyn

Postby sheldonk » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:31 am

Hi Marilyn,

The 18-55mm is a great lens. I use it 90% of the time on my Nikon D70. I also have the 70-200mm, but it doesn't get much use.

The camera originally came with the Nikon 18-70mm lens. Ken Rockwell reviewed both the 18-55 and the 18-70 and he much preferred the 18-55! After using both lenses, I have to agree with him. The great thing about the 18-55 is it is small and light. Plus, it focuses pretty close too.

Sheldon

Postby Dean Athans » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:54 pm

Marilyn -

I've been a dedicated user of Sony (nee Konica-Minolta, nee Minolta) equipment since I bought my first Minolta SRT 101. The camera bodies and the lenses offer great value--they are sturdy and the images have been excellent.

As for the Canons. Nikons, etc., they, too are wonderful--just as their owners tell you! You can't go wrong in buying any of these top lines. The Minolta line, unfortunately, due to poor business and retailing practices, (unfairly) earned the reputation as a bastard stepchild, which Sony is now--slowly--digging its way out of! I've heard that Sony was smart enough to hire ex-Minolta engineers and technicians to help design the Sony line of cameras (and the Sony camera designs seem to keep many elements of the original Minolta lines). (Also, remember that Minolta was the first SLR to have contrast-driven auto focus!)

I've had the Sony alpha 700 over a year and am very happy with it--the body, the ergonomics, the menu system, and, of course, the images (which is what our camera equipment is "all about!")

Whatever your decision, you cannot go wrong with the camera line you end up with (but I suggest Sony!).

- Dean
Dean A

Return to Photography