Nikon D70

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Re: Nikon D70

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:31 pm

Something else I should have mentioned - you may also want to check out the Nikonians forums - lots of good info there as well as significant discounts on some software etc. Very knowledgeable bunch there and the "Silver" membership is only $25/year (you can try the forums out first).

http://www.nikonians.org

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Postby alcain » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:59 am

Leslie. Please give us an update on the blurry image concern. How do the photographs you take look?

Thanks, ~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Valued Member

Postby Coconut » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:02 pm

Thank you all so much for all the great info! There is so much to learn!!!

I took some pictures.....and no blur!!! I am very happy about that!!! Now I just have to learn how to take a great picture!

I am going to check out the Nikonian forum (thanks mikey) and also looking into some online classes if I can't find anyone local to learn from. A friend of a friend is taking some online classes and I hear she is taking some really great pictures.

New York Institute of Photography
http://www.nyip.com/

Leslie

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:48 pm

Coconut wrote:... also looking into some online classes if I can't find anyone local to learn from. A friend of a friend is taking some online classes and I hear she is taking some really great pictures.

Leslie

If you have a college nearby, check out the non-credit photography classes. Our local college has a wide variety of courses available and the only prerequisite was that you have a working knowledge of your camera.

Kathy

Postby m.c.rude » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:12 pm

Another possibility to find people to learn photography from is a meetup group:

http://www.meetup.com

My wife found out it was easier to learn from a group of mixed photographers than it was to learn with me. She has found many good friends who are not tainted by having to 'produce' commercial shots and just go out, learn to use their cameras, and take pictures together.

If I remember correctly there were almost 1500 photography groups listed last time we looked, so I am sure there is one near you to try out.
MC
the picture or video does not tell you what software or hardware you used; it only tells the story, it will only reveal what the eye sees.

Valued Member

Postby Coconut » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:26 am

Kathy, I checked our local college...no photography classes.

MC- thanks for the link....Looks like they have many meet up groups on photography within 20 miles of where I live! That is great! I had never heard of a meet up group....looks like they have them on just about every subject!!

I like the meet up group better than the online class option.

Thanks!
Leslie

Postby debngar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:38 am

The free photography information available online could take a lifetime to review. I don't see a need for spending money on any online school for photography.

Google photography tips for one. The resources are endless. Look up "photography podcasts" for a source of info in mp3 format. They can often be downloaded and saved to listen to while driving or maybe working at home on the computer. Other websites that list tips geared toward photography might have a forum and a section for critique for those that really want that.

I agree that the meetup groups can be a good way to hook up with like-minded people.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Valued Member

Postby Coconut » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Thanks Debbie- I never thought about the podcasts- I think that is a great idea! I hope to find some. And Google is a great place to start looking for photography tips.....

I am signing up for a "meet up" class (Thanks MC) at a local photograpy studio, it is a class on basic technical information- this is the class description:
learn about basic settings for shooting in manual mode, Fstops, camera lens basics, etc. You know, the boring stuff that you have been putting off learning about! It's not going to be super technical but you'll learn enough to get out of automatic mode and feel comfortable controlling your camera.

Sounds like just what I need.

Previous

Return to Photography