Protecting your work and looking more professional

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Protecting your work and looking more professional

Postby alcain » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 am

Hi folks. I would like to take a moment to share with you all, some techniques I use to protect my photographs, my equipment, and to make my business look much more professional.

The very first thing I do when I purchase a new camera ( I own a D40, a D80 and a D90), is to go into the camera setup menu and add a "comment" to be applied to the EXIF data on every photograph I take. Whenever a photograph is shown on any PC, you can also look at the EXIF data for that image.
My comment is "© Starlightpps.com and Al Cain". In this way, I at least have started the process of Identification of my images. There should be no question of the "owner" of any images taken with any of my equipment.

Another thing I do is to affix an identification label to all of my equipment valued over fifty dollars. I use two methods of identification, the P-Touch labeler PT-2430PC (which is a PC based labeler (image below)), and the Brother QL-570 labeler, which also does address labels and US postage.

The identification label is a barcoded label (the PT-2430PC does this) that has a unique identification number for all of my equipment which is recorded in an equipment inventory file for insurance purposes. Embedded in the bar code is a personal identification number which I can show to any authority to prove ownership of the equipment in case of theft. (The bar code can be read from any scanner, including a grocery store checkout scanner).

To make my business and delivered products more professional, I use the QL printer to make all sorts of labels. When delivering a disk of images (or a slide show), I affix a QL label to the jewel case or paper CD sleeve...

It is very important to let the customer know that your images are copyrighted, but at the same time let them have the ability to print the images at will (If that is your business policy). I use the label as seen below to achieve this...

Or this...

I also label all of my rechargeable batteries in sets of four, to keep them together. It is very important to date your rechargeables, so you know how long they have been in use. I use the P-touch for this...

Lastly, I use the QL printer to make all of my return address labels (with logo) as well as to print address labels for mail to my clients. I can use PayPal shipping to create USPS and UPS shipping labels and print the barcoded label right from my own home using the QL printer.

These techniques may sound extreme and geeky, but in today's world, any measure of protection and professionalism can be the edge that separates you from the other guy.

I hope you find this article beneficial.

Regards, Al Cain, StarlightPPS.com

Re: Protecting your work and looking more professional

Postby debngar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:06 am

Hi Al,

Those are good ideas. The bar code labels are professional looking. One can only hope a thief would keep the label intact else it may not do much good. Including the serial number of the lens for instance is also a good thing to save in the inventory information. On a Canon lens, the serial number is permanently embedded where it attaches to the camera. I'm assuming it's probably similar with Nikon but don't know for sure.

In the picture, is the CD/DVD in the case a blank sample just for illustration purposes? If not, what connection does the blank looking CD/DVD have to the jewel case if the media itself isn't labeled visually. There are times when the CD or DVD is taken out of the case and not returned after use. Having some kind of identification that matches the case to the media might be good to include as well.

I use my ink-jet printer to print labels directly on the CD/DVD so the customer can see what's on it at a glance, otherwise, it's a mystery unless it's put into the computer to view the contents.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby AMD » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:13 am

Good info, Al.

Just on a personal note, had I at least had my name and address on my digital camera, which I lost in NYC in December, I could have had at least some hope of its being returned to me. Even if someone genuinely wanted to get it to me, there was no way they could have contacted me.

Ann

Esteemed Member

Postby joemav57 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:50 am

Unless you have your name engraved in a place that can't be seen, chances are you'll never get back stolen items. Even though I like the bar code idea, the flaw in that is they can peel that sticker right off of it. It's like putting a luggage tag on your suitcase. The thief will pull the tag off your bag immediately upon stealing it.

I do like the labeler though. It is an awesome way making your packaging look professional.
PSP 7, Photoshop CS6, Nikon D3100.

Postby bellzerr » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:15 pm

With vinyl labels and the proper adhesive, labels can be made to be virtually impossible to remove.
Mark

Postby alcain » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:51 pm

n the picture, is the CD/DVD in the case a blank sample just for illustration purposes? If not, what connection does the blank looking CD/DVD have to the jewel case if the media itself isn't labeled visually. There are times when the CD or DVD is taken out of the case and not returned after use.

Yes, I just put a blank cd in the jewel case for the photo. Actually, I use the P-touch to label the CD's as well.
I use the 3/8' tape and the label is two inches long. The weight does not affect reading of the disk in any way. The disk label gives name of event/subject, date, and a disk identification number - which is printed on the larger jewel case label. Match the event and ID number and the CD will always find it's way back to the proper sleeve.

As far as serial numbers, yes. My data sheet includes my item number, serial number, description, price paid, date purchased and where purchased.

I am not really bar coding my equipment to ward off thieves. A thief is a thief. But I do a lot of weddings and on location portraits, and this keeps my equipment identified from possibly someone else's. The biggest advantage would be if a guest walked off with my camera or flash, when I confront him - I have the ID label to prove ownership (he wouldn't have had an opportunity to look for identifying labels if he just walked off with it. Plus, it helps me to identify similar equipment. I have three SB-600 Nikon flash units and four remote flash trigger sets, and I can quickly see by the label which unit I have in my hand.

The Brother QL-570 is my workhorse printer. I use it almost every day. Highly recommended.

Thanks for all of the comments, ~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Postby debngar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:09 pm

Al,

Why not go the next step - put your nice copyright permission sticker on the back and print a label directly on the CD/DVD that gives the customer an idea of what is on it?

Debbie

Postby alcain » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:31 pm

Debbie, is that a stick on label or is it light scribe? Looks real nice. ~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Postby debngar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:06 pm

alcain wrote:Debbie, is that a stick on label or is it light scribe? Looks real nice. ~al

Neither. I use an old Epson R260 (inkjet printer) to print directly on the printable CD/DVD label side of the disk. The labeling printing software that came with the printer is not that sophisticated but works ok for me.

I wouldn't use a light scribe. From what I understand, it can take up to 20 minutes to print a label on a disk with light scribe and it only creates a monochromatic colored design. To me that's inefficient, time consuming and I'd rather have something that prints multicolor labels.

The inkjet printer takes maybe 3-5 minutes or so to do it's thing. I don't remember if I've ever timed it as I'm usually printing the label while I'm doing something else or burning another disk.
Debbie

Postby videolove » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:15 pm

Ann, did you try Craigslist ? And I'm asking for both ways, assuming that you know aprox. when or where the camera was lost you can post that information also you can look for people who maybe found your camera.
Or you can use site : http://www.camerafound.com

Good Luck,
Marcela

Esteemed Member

Postby nwenban » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi Al,

Thanks for your meaty articles for the group.

Another option for marking your possessions is Datadots http://www.datadotdna.com/ & is now used by many major auto manufacturers & hire companies.
http://www.datadotusa.com/PopularScienceFeb2007.pdf

The product comes in either a spay can or a paste that you apply to obscure locations with a cotton bud. Totally invisible without the UV/Magnifyer viewer.

Neville
Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly!!

Esteemed Member

Postby joemav57 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:53 pm

bellzerr wrote:With vinyl labels and the proper adhesive, labels can be made to be virtually impossible to remove.
Mark

Unfortunately Mark, any good can of WD-40 or Vaseline can almost remove any adhesive. Fingernail polish remover can wipe out superglue in a matter of a few minutes. Soap and warm water can also take care of a few other. Heck, I've even used mayonaisse and vegatable oil to get adhesives off. Working as janitor as a young pup, I learned a lot of tricks to remove labels, tapes, glues and even gum. I guarantee 90% of the time I can remove the adhesive and not damage what I'm taking it off of.

Esteemed Member

Postby joemav57 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:01 pm

alcain wrote:
I am not really bar coding my equipment to ward off thieves. A thief is a thief. But I do a lot of weddings and on location portraits, and this keeps my equipment identified from possibly someone else's. The biggest advantage would be if a guest walked off with my camera or flash, when I confront him - I have the ID label to prove ownership (he wouldn't have had an opportunity to look for identifying labels if he just walked off with it. Plus, it helps me to identify similar equipment. I have three SB-600 Nikon flash units and four remote flash trigger sets, and I can quickly see by the label which unit I have in my hand.

The Brother QL-570 is my workhorse printer. I use it almost every day. Highly recommended.

Thanks for all of the comments, ~al

I hear you Al. I can understand that you need to label your cameras because of how many you have and use. I do like what that label printer can do though.

Postby PhotoBob » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:21 am

The idea of placing a label on your equipment is a really good Idea. I would never engrave any of my equipment, although it is also a good idea as well. If you engrave any of your equipment, you will severely lower the trade in or resale value of your equipment if you decide to sell or trade it. Although your equipment may look like new, it really lowers the value of your equipment that has YOUR name, home address and phone number engraved on it. I would only engrave my equipment if I was the type of person that NEVER trade in equipment or tried to sell my equipment, because it is hard to sell equipment that has someone else’s name, address and phone number engraved into it, the value of the equipment usually drop to half or less. It would be very difficult to try and prove that a piece of equipment is yours if you were in a situation in which you had to prove the ownership of it and you had purchased someone's equipment who had engraved their information on it. I have purchased used equipment that had a label with someone else’s studio information on it, but I always kept the receipt for the equipment in my camera bag, it is very difficult to try and remove some labels, it even makes your equipment looks more like it is stolen when you try and remove a label. If I had to identify my equipment by using a labeling device or by engraving onto my equipment, I would go for the labeling method. Another method to identify your equipment is to photograph your equipment as well as the serial numbers of your equipment and in the process, place a small card in the picture that has your personal information on it, your digital image will show the date that you created this file. Copy these files to two or three DVDs, and keep them stored in different places for security purposes.
Producer V5, PS CS6, Lightroom 5, Olympus OMD E-M5
BS Ed Indiana State university, MS Ed Indiana University

Postby duglas50 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:12 am

Like Debbie, I also print directly onto printable DVD's for a more professional look. I used to print labels and stick them on to DVD's but had some issues with players reading the disk. I understand that is a common problem using that method. Even more so on CD's. Since I switched I haven't had any issues since.

Doug
Family Heritage Photography
http://www.familyheritagephotography.com
    Producer 5.0, Photoshop Elements 14, Lightroom 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 9, Topaz Adjust, Portrait Professional, On1 Photo 10, ImgBurn, Audacity, Nikon D7200, D5000

Next

Return to Photography