Protecting your work and looking more professional

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Re: Protecting your work and looking more professional

Postby bellzerr » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:01 pm

We use printable disks here at my day job on a $99 Epson printer (with disk tray) and they look great. Supplied software has a clunky looking interface but it works fine. I recommend printable disks for a great look.
Online (not in stores) we found "silver" printable disks by Verbatim. Rather than the "white" label-type of look, these give the illusion of a transparent background - a very professional look.
Mark

Postby KarenLynn58 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:42 pm

I use an HP Photosmart printer that prints directly to the disc....no more labels for me!!
I love this printer and the look of the discs.....I don't use the software that came with it...I use
Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker.....I Love it!!

Karen

Postby bellzerr » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:59 am

Software tips are always a time-saver, Karen. Thanks.
Mark

Postby bellzerr » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:16 am

Karen,
---Does Acoustica have a template for the "movie style" DVD cases - the ones that are paperback size, open like a book and have a single label insert sleeve that permits printing the front, back and spline all on one page?
---How long does the HP Photosmart printer take to print a CD? The Epson is about 3 minutes, I think.
Thanks for the help.
Mark

Postby duglas50 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:03 am

Mark,
I use a program called SureThing CD Labeler Deluxe 5 which will do what you are asking. Like Karen I also use an HP Photosmart printer and get excellent results. I've never timed it to see how long it takes to print but it's very quick.

Doug
Family Heritage Photography
http://www.familyheritagephotography.com
    Producer 5.0, Photoshop Elements 14, Lightroom 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 9, Topaz Adjust, Portrait Professional, On1 Photo 10, ImgBurn, Audacity, Nikon D7200, D5000

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Postby alcain » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:39 am

Thanks to all of you for your valuable input.

I am hesitant to shell out $130 for a new printer as well as the cost of writable media at this point, when there may be other options available. My buddy and I have spent quite a bit of time researching this topic and we have discovered what appears to be an economical solution...

I know, I know... NEVER put a paper label on a DVD. (There are many articles about this on the web.) It appears that it is not the balance issue, or the heat issue that is causing the data read errors on DVD media. It is an issue of the paper labels actually altering the perfectly flat shape of the DVD disc. In numerous professionally done studies, they have observed that the paper labels (when subjected to moisture changes) will "pull" the center of the disc enough to bring the label out of tolerances for successful reading from a majority of DVD players. It has been observed that a DVD which did not play successfully with a Paper label which was applied more than 30 days old, will play perfectly when the paper label was moistened with a water saturated cloth. The moisture relaxes the distortion in shape on the DVD caused by the paper label.

Solution: DO NOT use a paper label on a DVD - which is what everyone has been saying all along.

Better solution: Avery corporation has recently released a new product (Avery 8962 DVD labels) which are made of a polymer FILM based material. The labels are matte white and are VERY thin and are recommended to be mounted with a dedicated DVD label applicator.

AVERY GUARANTEES compatibility and readability on ALL single sided DVD media - period.

Initial reports give these labels five stars and the reviewers are saying that the material produces stunning true photo resolution. The film based material "breathes" and conforms to the DVD without distorting the shape of the disc.

The user criticism that is worth noting is with the price. They can be ordered from Office Depot or Office Max (Sold ONLINE only) for about $22 for a pack of 20. That is over a dollar a label.

I found them online through an Amazon Retailer for just $14 each. I ordered two packs and the applicator and got free shipping.

I will write a review on these as soon as I receive them and put them through a test.

Just another option to look into.

~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Postby StarMan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:06 pm

This is a very timely topic for me. I'm in the market for a new printer, and hope to have one that can print directly to DVDs and runs WiFi. Some of the Photosmarts are rated highly, others not, at least according to reviews on Amazon. Still looking...

Richard
Technical poet
YouTube: Rememberedlight
Blog: http://rememberedlight.blogspot.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Remembered-Light/187564014589969
PSP, PS CS5, LR3, AE 5.5, Sony Vegas Movie Studio
Canon XSi, Sony HDR-CX7

Postby AMD » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:40 pm

I, too, use Acoustica. I print directly on DVDs with an HP5280. Acoustica lets you easily do the "movie style" covers--on one sheet with a line for cutting, and they fit beautifully--look very professional--especially if one uses a sheet of glossy photograph paper.

Ann

Postby alcain » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:12 pm

The newest version of Acoustica now supports the Avery 8962 DVD labels I mentioned above!

~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Postby heckydog » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:56 pm

Your review of the Avery labels sounds interesting but it raises a few questions too.

Obviously, you're still using as much ink as you did before. Whether you print on a label or directly to the disc the ink is being used. Plus you now have to apply the label after it's printed.

Of course, you can use any printer to print on the Avery labels vs you need a CD/DVD printer for printable dvd's. Plus one for Avery. But . . . . . .

The only advantage would be you can buy plain vanilla blank dvd's instead of printable dvd's. Is there a cost advantage? I don't think so. (Forgive me for pulling a Kate Gosselin, asking a question and answering it myself, hehehe). I went to Supermediastore.com and looked at 100 disc packs of TY blanks, 8X, premium line. The standard ones are $29.99 for 100. The HUB Printable ones are $34.99 for 100.

A nickel difference per disc. And, the printable discs do come in hub printable styles which a lot of people, including myself, like better than the discs with the larger core.

For me, the advantage is still with the printable dvd's. When I want really high quality printing, I use a WaterShield dvd. I'd be curious to see what the quality difference is between the Avery labels and the WaterShields.

Joe

Postby PhotoMill » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:27 pm

Turning into a very interesting thread. At this end, I use either my Epson R800 or R1800 to print the disks. I was not impressed with the Epson software that came with the printers but instead found, like Doug, SureThing Labeler Deluxe and quickly bought the software. No regrets at this point but I also bought into Avery's line some time ago and need to re-look at their packages. Print time on the Epson printers for a single disk is about 1.5 to 2 minutes, max. I always take the disks and set them aside for about 20 minutes before packaging them in a case so as to let the ink cure.

As this thread is changing course quickly, I might as well ask (if Al does not mind) if anyone is using a multi-disk printer. If so, what brand and what satisfaction level would you put your unit at? At the same time, is anyone using a multi-disk "burner"? Same questions apply.

Al, I really like the idea of editing the EXIF info from the camera. Never thought of that, but I'll be working that one from now on. If nothing else, the photo lab folks at eg; Wal-Mart, need only check the embedded EXIF info on their computer to verify that the photo is yours. Great idea and tks for passing that hint on.

...Steve
Tax me...
I'm Canadian, eh?

Canon 50D & 70D, Epson 4990 Scanner, Epson R1800 printer
Lumapix, Paint Shop Pro X6, ProShow Producer 9
Video Studio Pro X5

Postby alcain » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:52 am

Glad I had my equipment marked!

Whew! I had recently (just the other day) been called to Children's Daughters Hospital to do a NILMDTS photo shoot of a still born infant. I had in my possession, my usual "Grab and Go" camera backpack with two camera bodies, three lenses and one SB600 flash unit (plus xtra batteries and memory). I also carry an old Burke and James camera case (hard case) with items I may not use, but good to have "just in case". Finally, I carry a Photoflex LiteDome small softbox with an SB600 and Pocket Wizard attached via photo clamps and hardware.

After I finished the shoot, upon leaving, the hospital security stopped me and said I can't take that (my LiteDome setup) away from the hospital. They thought it was hospital property and I was taking it. I promptly showed them my bar coded ID labels which were affixed to the flash, the Pocket Wizard and the LiteDome bracket. He apologized and let me take MY equipment out to my vehicle.

Moral of story: Even removable ID labels have their place in your setup. Be sure you have all of your equipment labeled or engraved or a handy record of serial numbers with you when taking your equipment to any location other than your home.

I'm glad I did.

~Grandpa Al

Postby Astra » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:37 am

To ALL of you: :)

what an avalanche of information and knowledge (you all have) !!!

This discussion is helping me very much in my decision to get Direct Printer to CD / DVD.

Looks like most used are - two printers : HP Photosmart & Epson.

Checking both of them.

Thanks, Alexandra

Postby nannybear » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:30 pm

Great information here and as I am just getting started with some expensive gear I will really take a hard look at! Happy Easter everyone!!! hugs Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Esteemed Member

Postby Alan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:04 pm

AMD wrote:Good info, Al.

Just on a personal note, had I at least had my name and address on my digital camera, which I lost in NYC in December, I could have had at least some hope of its being returned to me. Even if someone genuinely wanted to get it to me, there was no way they could have contacted me.

Ann

One option that I use (when I remember) after formatting my SD card is to ensure that the first picture I take is of a pre-prepared card with my contact details on it. At least if someone looks through the pics they'll have a number to call. You could even add that a reward will be given for Its safe return.
Cheers
Alan
Alan

Sydney, Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Photography