resolution for camera setting

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

resolution for camera setting

Postby HunnyB » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:11 am

I thought I had everything set on the highest res.
But today I looked at some pics I took and the res. is only 72.
The size of the image is 4752x3168 and 3.98mb and 5.65mb.
Shouldn't the resolution be higher? Or does it matter.
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Site Admin

Re: resolution for camera setting

Postby MG - Admin » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:39 am

Hunny:

72 is referring to the DPI. The default DPI your camera uses will have no influence on the resolution of your images because it only relates pixels to absolute units (inches). The DPI setting therefore does not affect anything when displaying the photo on your screen, the web, via email, etc. To be honest, the only time it will matter is if you are not setting the print size of your images prior to printing. Setting the print size always overrides the embedded DPI.

Just ignore it and enjoy!

Mike

Esteemed Member

Postby northward » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:42 am

Hunny: Only the total pixel size (4752x3168) counts, you are at the highest resolution! The JPG-size varies according to the amount of detail in the image (like your 3.98mb and 5.65mb).
Many cameras output their images at a resolution of 72 pixels per inch, the standard resolution for screens. As long as you work with some sort of image processing software this doesn't matter, since physical size and resolution are always adjusted there. But actually, I don't know if one can force cameras to output images at a higher "pixel packing rate" per inch (ppi resolution), maybe somebody else has an answer there. But then again: this should never be important as long as you work with software and not want to print out images directly from the camera.
-- Minolta SLRs, first digital camera Apple QuickTake 1996, various others since then ---

Esteemed Member

Postby northward » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:47 am

I see that Mike was first to answer, I think he says pretty much the same. His DPI is the same as my ppi, Dots per inch as compared to ppi, pixels per inch. In Europe we use ppi.
Good luck!
Wolf
-- Minolta SLRs, first digital camera Apple QuickTake 1996, various others since then ---

Postby heckydog » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:08 am

Actually, I think the correct usage of DPI vs PPI is that DPI is dots per inch and refers to printer output. PPI is pixels per inch and refers to monitor/screen dimensions. So those Europeans (darn it) are right again. :wink:

They're easy to confuse and most folks will know what you mean whether you say DPI or PPI especially since we talk about cameras a lot more than we do about printers.

Joe

PS Happy New Year one and all.

Postby nannybear » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:09 am

Exactly what they said. When you take it into Photoshop just change to 300 and your prints will be great!!
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Esteemed Member

Postby northward » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:11 am

Thanks, Joe, for the clarification regarding DPI-ppi. The credit to Europe :D is largely undeserved though, since both standards are originally rooted in North America. The competing European standard was ppcm, pixels per cm, and that one never caught on here, even though everything is measured in centimeters (or meters) otherwise :!:
Regards
Wolf

Postby HunnyB » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks guys. I guess I was thinking back to my printing days and how important the resolution was.
I feel so much better now after ya'll explained it to me. I took some pictures today and plan to do a show tomorrow. I hope I can post it real soon. THANKS AGAIN!!
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Postby alcain » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:52 pm

I want to see that show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hugs, ~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Return to Photography