MY NEW CAMERA !!!

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Re: MY NEW CAMERA !!!

Postby HunnyB » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:53 am

Sis, it was Tara......
maybe today I will have my hair fixed and makeup on and can
take another one.... :roll:
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby nannybear » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:08 pm

Can't wait!! Happy New Year!
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Postby alcain » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:23 pm

YEAAAAA!!!! Congrats!!!

(Now make us a nice show using it!)

Love you, ~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Postby trulytango » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:10 am

Hi Hunny

I've been looking at camera specs to day - can I ask, am I right in recalling that the EOS 500D shoots video too? If so, what's the quality like? I'd be really interested to see some footage if you have any to share.

TTFN
Iris :D
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby HunnyB » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:59 pm

I have not used this feature yet.....it is suppose to be HD quality. I will play with it tomorrow and let you know. Or post something .
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:00 pm

I'm not familiar with the video settings offered on Hunny's camera, but I imagine the quality is going to be great.

The downside to the video is that you must use manual focus and the live view screen instead of through the viewfinder. I've found it to be a bit of a challenge in trying to produce anything worth viewing, but it can be done. I've seen some awesome examples from people who know what they're doing, but they have also invested a lot of money into focus accessories, glide or steady cam harnesses, etc.

Here's one shot on a 7D (pardon the music, but the footage is excellent), but you'll get an idea of image quality:

The MOV files that are created by the camera are also very resource intensive. A lot of PCs are going to struggle to play them without some issues due to the compression being used. Duo or Quad Core processors with a good video card are pretty much going to be needed for viewing the MOV files. That said, the MOV files drop into Gold and Producer without any issue and play just fine in the output created.

Mike

Postby trulytango » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:13 am

Thanks Mike... I just wondered if the quality of video shot with the 500D was noticeably less than that shot with the 5D or the 7D (the latter mentioned cameras are at the professional end of Canon's range)?

I would love to replace my 20D with a Canon such as the 500D... mainly because I have trouble reviewing my images/ info/histogram on the 20D's smaller screen.

Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:41 am

trulytango wrote:... I just wondered if the quality of video shot with the 500D was noticeably less than that shot with the 5D or the 7D

I think the quality would be very good considering my wife has a Canon P&S that records 720P HD video and it looks really nice. The downside to her camera is that she has no real control over the settings, but it does have autofocus. With the 500D you'd have much more control of depth of field, zooming, etc. It's going to be a bit more work to record something, but the results should be very good.

Mike

Postby HunnyB » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:59 am

Here is a small clip with the camera. I am not sure how it is going to look through presenter.
But it look really really good on my computer --- except for the out of focus movement. Sorry about that.
The file is HUGE ---- 49.33mb and is only around 55 seconds. My satt. connection won't load it right now for me to check it out. :evil:

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 9764&alb=0
HunnyB

Postby kabeeo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:40 am

Hunny--

The quality is pretty good.

Please don't ever change your avatar. The look in your eyes is just classic. It looks like you are actually hiding behind the camera (maybe we all are!).
--Kevin
Proshow Producer
Canon 50D
Elements 10

Postby nannybear » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:57 pm

That looks pretty sharp sis!!! I love the ranch!!! hugs Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby trulytango » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:05 am

Thanks Hunny

The blurring? Is that you having to fiddle with the manual focus ring like Mike suggested? The clear bits were really sharp though, so my interest has gone up a notch now! Thanks for taking time to post.

Iris :D

Postby duglas50 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:09 pm

I've been considering purchasing a camera like Hunny's Cannon T1i or the Nikon D5000 because I thought it would be great to have the HD video capabilities, but after reading Ken Rockwells reviews on both of these cameras I'm re-thinking that. The reviews for both cameras were good except for the video so why pay more just to have inferior video capabilities. I understand the convenience factor but I'm thinking now it may be better to buy a dedicated HD video camera that will fit in your pocket. Here is a link to his site if anyone is interested. www.kenrockwell.com

Doug
Family Heritage Photography
http://www.familyheritagephotography.com
    Producer 5.0, Photoshop Elements 14, Lightroom 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 9, Topaz Adjust, Portrait Professional, On1 Photo 10, ImgBurn, Audacity, Nikon D7200, D5000

Postby HunnyB » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:23 am

Iris - the blurring is me not knowing what I am doing ----- I guess. Or me moving too much. Not really sure.
The one thing about the HD quality --- the file is HUGE. Took for-ever to load on my computer.

I want to do some more filming and watch it on the tv.
On my computer it looks good --- well, better than what I am used to anyway. :shock:
Curious to see what it looks like on an HD tv --- with normal dvds. I do not have a blu-ray burner yet - or any
blu-ray dvds. Without all of that --- are we really seeing the true HD quality????? :?
HunnyB

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:31 am

Hunny,
If you use the method discussed by Mike and others on this forum, you will indeed be seeing Hi-Def. The only caveat is that the amount of time you can store on a regular DVD is limited in relationship to a true Blu-Ray disc.

-Vernon

PreviousNext

Return to Photography