Wholesale/Retail Pricing Help

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Wholesale/Retail Pricing Help

Postby Frankie » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:00 am

I've developed a nice series of postcards from photographs of my local area. I'm getting ready to send samples to my local merchants. I was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions for me regarding pricing for wholesale and suggested retail. I can have them printed somewhat cheaply for 15 cents a piece my price (standard 5 5/8 x 4 size) or a much nicer and more expensive printing process at 50 cents a card (4x6 size), I'd found a formula that figures wholesale by cost plus labor and overhead times 2, with retail being same only times 2.5 or 3. Hard for me to break down the labor in that the photographs were taken at different times, etc. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,
Frankie

Re: Wholesale/Retail Pricing Help

Postby rkligman » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:22 am

I think my wife bought a couple of postcards at the local fair last year. They were copies of the vendors paintings I believe. I also believe they were between $4-$7. That sounds about right for me to purchase as well. I'll jot down a note to ask her if that is accurate.
Rick Insane Diego...

Postby rkligman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:05 am

It wasn't a postcard but rather a print inside a small cardboard frame. Postcard size though. It was $3.50. I happened to be at the Camera store yesterday and they did have postcards though (that were not commercially printed) and they were going for $3.
Rick Insane Diego...

Postby bellzerr » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:14 pm

Figure out your costs. Figure out what your time is worth - how much you need or want to earn in order to make the whole effort worthwhile. Add on your costs, of course and that's your price to "whoever" will buy them from you.
    Wholesalers are going to want to double what they pay you when they sell to the retailer.
    The retailer is going to want to double whatever they pay to get the consumer price.
That's why "cutting out the middle man" can have such a dramatic affect on consumer prices. :)

All of this only matters if you are trying to figure out the consumer price to judge whether your product is marketable. But otherwise, why worry about it? Once you sell to your buyer whether that's a wholesaler or the end consumer, game over - you're headed for the beach! :D :D

Postby Frankie » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:38 pm

Thanks Rick and Bellzer. Since the postcards are primarily to get my work out in the area I decided not to push the pricing limit. I'm pricing them so that they'll retail for $3. Hopefully, they'll find some buyers. I'm collaborating on a book project right now, using some of my photographs. Maybe the two together will peak some interest in customers who might have some otherinteresting projects in the area. If not, I've certainly had a lot of fun taking them and am learning in the process.

Thanks again,
Frankie

Postby bellzerr » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:15 am

Frankie wrote:Since the postcards are primarily to get my work out in the area I decided not to push the pricing limit.

Good thinking. It's not always about maximizing your profit. :)

Postby Frankie » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Yes, to be quite honest about it I just enjoy taking the pictures!

Frankie

Return to Photography