NILMDTS For Photographers

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

NILMDTS For Photographers

Postby alcain » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Hi all you professional photographers out there! Do you want to find a way to give back to the community in a very unique and special way? Consider NILMDTS.

I am an affiliate photographer and have done my third photo shoot today... so rewarding.

The organization is called "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep".

http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/

Due to privacy concerns, I am not able to share any of my shows with these photographs, but trust me - they can make a grown man cry.

Just a thought,

Respectfully,
Al Cain
StarlightPPS.com
NILMDTS Affiliate Photographer
Operation Smile Affiliate Member
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Re: NILMDTS For Photographers

Postby nancy156 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:07 pm

Hi, Al.

I really wish I was a professional photographer. I would absolutely look into this opportunity. But alas, I'm only a newly retired lady trying to pick up on the world of photography. I know just enough to know that I really don't know much at all!

Thanks so much for posting this information. I'm so happy to know about the site and the organization. I only wish I had known about it sooner. I have dear friends whose only daughter lost her first baby in the 6th month only last week due to cervical incompetence. I can only hope that someone recommended this group to them.

I admire you for donating your time to such a wonderful organization. It must be truly rewarding and very difficult at the same time. I'm sure you have been a blessing to many families. Keep up the good work.

Sincerely,
Nancy

Postby trulytango » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:24 am

Hi Al

I wish I'd known about this organisation last year... it would most likely have prompted me to look for (and possibly suggest) a similar service in the UK. Our niece very sadly (and suddenly) lost her little baby boy in the 40th week of her pregnancy, in fact his due date was only 3 days away when she was given the devastating news that he had died... and the poor family had an agonising choice between immediate induction or to wait for nature to take it's course. They opted for the latter... and had just a weekend to come to terms with their loss and prepare themselves for his birth.

Thanks for posting, Al... and for the work that you do for NILMDTS

Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby psychogramma » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:18 am

Al,

You have a kind and caring heart.

This and the Smiles program are both great. Not a photographer and don't know if I could even handle such a task, but praise to you and those that can and do.

Be well and enjoy ALL!
Cathy

Postby alcain » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:13 pm

I am not able to post shows or images without the parents consent, but here is s link to a show (not by me) that tells it all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCnIAzcI7po&feature=related

and this one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGpBeanu4bE&feature=player_embedded

Blessings, ~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Postby Barkingmad » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:03 pm

May you [and all the pro photographers who volunteer] be richly blessed! Both the website and you tube vid made me cry, and I would imagine that such photography must surely be the most difficult, and the most rewarding of all photography. Such compassionate photography will make a huge difference to the lives of those in need of it. Thank you for sharing!
Shaz BMad
"Confusion is a word we have invented for an order which is not yet understood." Henry Mille

Postby alcain » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:14 pm

Unfortunately, a fourth photo shoot today. Such a sweet little girl. On life support from delivery this morning. I took the photographs of her, mommy and daddy, and after I left... she would be taken off of the life support.

Blessings, ~al

Postby debngar » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi Al,

It takes a special person to do this kind of work. You are that kind of person. I wish you success and hope you are a blessing to those who need your service. I know you will be richly blessed in return. :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Valued Member

Postby NLAlston » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:13 am

Al.

I visited the site, and really wish that I was of caliber enough - as a photographer - to help families in such situations. I love photography, and even have some really nice gear, but I am still very much within the learning stage of things.

But, if I was of the professional grade that they are looking for, I would certainly offer my services - without any charge whatsoever - to help as many families as I could.
BLESSINGS,
Nathan
(PSP7)

Postby delekatala » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:47 am

I am a lurker here, but wanted to chime in as a recipient. NILMDTS is such a wonderful organization, the photos mean so much to us families. When all is said and done photos and a few mementos in a box are all we have.

My daughter passed away at 16 days old from a GI disease she caught in the hospital, NILMDTS gave me gorgeous photos of my baby to treasure, nice enough ones that I don't need to be ashamed to share them or hang them on the wall. And also it let me focus on her that day without worrying about taking photos myself. My photographer just seemed to understand my need for them and took photos of everything, I owe her a lot.

If anyone wants to see an example I keep all of mine here birth to funeral:
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/de ... /Genevive/

NILMDTS is page 5 through 10, and I should warn that some of the photos are sad, that is the nature of the beast unfortunately, sad but beautiful.

Genevive Mary Cooney
12-29-08 - 1-14-09

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby climax » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:09 am

Hello Delekatala,
I am so so so so sorry for your loss. I saw all the pictures, and they really say everything. I pray to God that you and your family find some confort and the strength to overcome the pain, by knowing that she is now with Him.
Sincerely,
Cristina
Cristina

Postby Barkingmad » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:51 pm

So very sorry for your loss! Thank you for sharing these photos with us. May His peace be with you and your family as you heal. Hugs Shaz
Shaz BMad
"Confusion is a word we have invented for an order which is not yet understood." Henry Mille

Postby bellzerr » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:08 pm

Your little girl is beautiful and remains so in the gentle arms of our Lord.
"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God..." Romans 8:28
May your faith keep you strong and forever keep those happy days in your heart.
Mark

Postby alcain » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:30 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. She is beautiful. I was surprised to see the color versions of the images posted - as far as NILMDTS is concerned, that is almost taboo. If we make a slide show (which is not a requirement), it is virtually mandated that it be in black and white. There are many priceless and very touching images in your photo display.

Yes, it is so sad to be there as a photographer, but we know in our hearts that we are providing a rare and priceless service.

May God be with you, ~al

Postby dalekincaid » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:15 pm

It is nice to see a little discussion about Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep here on the forum from both Al and recipient delekatala. I am also an affiliate photographer as well as a member of the Membership Aplication Committee (MAC). I would like to mention that there are a number of volunteer positions availabe such as Parent Coordinator, retouch artists and assistant photographers. There are also a handfull of photographers that are not necessarily professionals, but advanced in photography skills to produce pro quality images. Anyone wishing to apply for any of the positions may fill out an application from the web site. If your applying for photographer we will view sample work from a web site or request images be sent through email. It is important to be skilled in flash/stobe photography as well as natural light. In any case, thank you all for the support you've provided here.

Dale Kincaid

Next

Return to Photography