Lens

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Lens

Postby briancbb » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:39 am

Just think of the dollars you are saving. :lol: ... on a pension every dollar counts.

However I always dream of winning the lottery, but at this age even the memory doesn't remember to buy a ticket.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby pturton » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:06 am

KarenLynn58 wrote:
Is there a cheap version?

Karen

No. Even if you went the prime lens route, 85, 135, 200 you'll pay more than you want to just now.

But, supposing you just bought the 135L to start; you would never look back to alternative glass.

The quality goes beyond the build of the lens. You must also consider the bokeh which is the quality of the out of focus (OOF) area of the image and the resolution and sharpness wide open. The bokeh of the 135L or 70-200 L makes the subect pop giving a 3D effect to the image. I do not hesitate to use any of my prime lenses at their widest aperture and only stop down for the required DOF.

The Canon 70-200 f/4 L IS is crisp wide open and the IS is the latest version from Canon which gives a 4 stop advantage to hand holding the lens but, IS does not stop subject movment and is not needed if a tripod is used. F/4 also gives a dimmer view of the subject. I have been in dim situations where the f/2 aperture of my lens snapped into focus but my f/2.8 lens kept on hunting and failing to focus.

Paul

Postby PhotoMill » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:34 pm

Hi Mikey,

Yup, I hear you re the lotto. I gave up on that a couple of years ago.

Yes, long glass would work at this end too. Unfortunately however, without the "lotto", I no longer can go into Henry's without my wife now... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Take care...
...Steve
Tax me...
I'm Canadian, eh?

Canon 50D & 70D, Epson 4990 Scanner, Epson R1800 printer
Lumapix, Paint Shop Pro X6, ProShow Producer 9
Video Studio Pro X5

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:49 pm

Yeah, I know - my wife has threatened to cut up my credit card ... with me still attached :mrgreen:
I would have really liked the Nikon 70-200 F2.8 ($2400), but elected to go with the 70-300 F4.8 Nikon instead ($500) and have been quite happy with it. Still not cheap, but a lot less than the big one (I keep telling myself the big one is too heavy to hold for the whole game anyway :? )

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

dnmilikan

Postby dnmilikan » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:04 pm

The only reason that I have bought a ton of photo equipment recently is that my home was burglarized while I was in Italy. Part of the theft was a fairly extensive Bronica medium format system. Because I have replacement cost insurance I needed to repurchase equipment in order to recapture my loss.

This week I received a Canon 1DS III body ($6100), a 300 F 2.8 L IS AF with a 1.4 teleconverter ($4800), a 65mm L dedicated macro only lens (1X-5X--$1000), a macro ring light ($750), a 180 f3.5 L IS AF macro lens ($1425), a 24 mm L tilt and shift lens ($2,200), a novoflex dual axis macro focusing rail ($650) and I still have other equipment on the way.

So for those of you that shoot Canon and want some new good glass or a new pro body at below retail price with full mfg warranty contact me and we can probably work something out.

P.S. I also have a Pixma Pro 9500 printer new in box with full mfg warranty for sale if you want to print any of your masterpieces.

Postby rcsteimer » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:53 pm

Below is a link to more detail on the Tamron lens.

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/default-photo.asp

Bob S
Bob S
Rochester, NY

Nikon D70 & D90
Windows 7 & Adobe Elements 9 & Producer 4.5

Previous

Return to Photography