New camera advice

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

New camera advice

Postby Northernrob » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:09 pm

Hello all,

I'm considering purchasing a new DSLR camera. My point & shoot just doesn't have the detail, clarity, or color that I'd like. My budget will be under $1000.00 so I will have to stay away from professional gear and stick to the "prosumer" category. I see so many beautiful shots in the shared shows and I'm wondering what people are using, and the kinds of experiences they've had. I'm leaning toward the Canon EOS Rebel XSi, but I'm not sold on any particular brand. I like gadgets, and features, but my focus here is image quality. Does anyone use an XSi, or do you have any recommendations? Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Rob

Site Admin

Re: New camera advice

Postby MG - Admin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:39 pm

Rob:

The Rebel is a very good camera for someone getting their feet wet with a DSLR. You will see a marked improvement in image quality over most P&S cameras. Most P&S cameras do pretty well when there is a lot of light, but once you get into indoor situations, or not so bright days, most fail pretty badly.

The camera body itself is a nice step up from a P&S camera, but the biggest differences will be seen with the glass that is attached to it. Lenses vary in price, but for the most part you get what you pay for. Canon has an excellent range to choose from, but they can also be quite expensive. Third party lens manufacturers such as Sigma and Tamron to name a few will offer more reasonably priced options, but again, you might give up a little quality in build or image results depending on the model. Nikon offers pretty much the same scenario for their camera and lens selections. Both brands are very good. Once you start with a brand and begin acquiring lenses it's not cost effective to switch brands so you'll pretty much end up being dedicated to one or the other. A bit of warning, though. The biggest struggle you'll have is not trying to purchase all the lenses you'll want to have with you. I know from experience. One lens has turned into six and there are a couple more I have my eye on.

Others will chime in, but if you decide to go the DSLR route you won't be disappointed. Good luck in your decisions.

Mike

Postby nannybear » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:48 pm

There is my dream camera, the one I might be able to afford and the one I have! Want the fancy Canon but can't justify it, might be able to afford the Nikon D90 which has a fabulous rep. My Fuji S9000 is awesome, I just need more clarity with my old eyes and a little help....not that this helps, just thought I would share! cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby TinaJ » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:57 pm

I couldn't take the wait time between pictures any more so left my 3 point and shoots behind and bought a Sony alpha 200. They have other models but I like it. Fast, clear shots, good price for beginner dslr (did slr for a few years)and it is now owner of or owned with Minolta, so lenses are not too much of an issue to come by. I haven't delved into that yet, as I've found with the 10.2 mp I can crop most and keep most of the clarity. Recently bought a 50-200 lens but when I went leaf peeping this weekend I did spend some time walking to get things in my shot that normally would be a piece of cake with the 18-80.
TinaJ
PSG 3, PSP 4, Photoshop CS, Sony Alpha 200,
Grade 2/3 teacher
Somebody's Nanny all the time!

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:05 pm

One thing to consider (my preference is Nikon, but both are fine) - if this is as far as you intend to go, then just grab what is within your budget. If you are thinking seriously about more glass or additional (more $$) bodies, then give some thought to each of them and look at all the features. It is a pain to buy $1000 worth of Canon then decide you like Nikon or the reverse - Nikon lenses don't fit Canon etc. Both are excellent cameras though.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby debngar » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:58 pm

I use Canon equipment too. If you decide on the Rebel or other models in the prosumer non "full frame" line, be aware that there are some lenses that fit only those cameras with the 1.6 crop sensor. If you buy those and one day decide to actually purchase a full frame dslr, they will not fit the new one. But all lenses that fit the full frame camera will fit the 1.6 crop camera.

That may be confusing but once you start reading up on this, it will make more sense.

I have a 10-22 wide angle lens that fits my old 30D but not my new 5DMII. All the rest of my lenses that I use will fit both the old and new camera.

I never dreamed I would have a full frame camera! But I love it.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby Northernrob » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:24 pm

Wow,
Thank you all for the comments and observations. I know that a lot of name brand lenses only fit bodies of the same brand, so it's pick a brand and stick with it. I didn't know about full frame cameras. Very interesting, are they common? After looking into it a bit, I think they're a bit out of my price range. My talents as a photographer wouldn't justify spending much more than I'd planned.

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Full frame cameras are nice, but you need to know why you want a full frame sensor. Considering their expense I put them in the specialty category. Outside of that I think the 1.6 crop sensors are fine for most people, especially if you're just getting started with your first DSLR. I've had the Canon 10D, the 40D and now the 7D and they're all 1.6 crop cameras and I love and use them all. Using my Canon 10-22mm lens I get nice wide angle shots for landscapes, and I have other lenses that provide nice depth of field, which full frame cameras also excel at.

You'll be very satisfied if you were to start with the Rebel or other similar type of camera from one of the other brands. The camera will be provide more than what you need in the beginning and it's up to you how much you want to let your photography grow. It took me a couple of years to grasp the nuances of photography before I felt like it was time for me to upgrade from my first DSLR. Remember, it's not the camera it's the photographer.

Good luck and enjoy!

Mike

Postby debngar » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:55 am

I totally agree with Mike. For you there's no need for a full frame camera at this point. I didn't mean to confuse you. :oops:

The prosumer level of cameras will be fine for you whether it's a Rebel or the next step up (now a 50D and 7D series of cameras with the 1.6 crop size sensor).

At the time I decided to get another camera, I bought the 5DMII for the ISO capabilities since I felt I had pushed my 30D to the max.

Happy shopping and show us some of your new pics taken with whatever camera you decide to purchase. :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:11 am

I would agree on not needing a full frame body now (you will know when you need it - getting the purchase price past the spouse is a tougher issue :twisted: ) but that is why my suggestion about giving serious thought to which "family" of cameras (Nikon, Canon etc) you want to start with. As someone over in the Nikon forums commented recently, good glass holds it's value - that expensive body you bought 2 years ago is now worth 1/3 what you paid for it because of the newer version with the extra features, lower noise, higher resolution etc. The good glass is the investment (and it ain't cheap either) but when you see the quality of images you get from the good glass, you won't go back.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Bob R » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:35 pm

Hi Rob,

There are some great resources on the internet to help you choose a camera. Here is a nice basic info link: http://photo.net/equipment/building-a-d ... lr-system/

A good website is that of Ken Rockwell with lots and lots of information on how to choose a camera and lenses - Canon, Nikon, or other: http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

I started with Nikon DSLRs with the D70. Still love it. It is now my wife's primary camera. I then bought a D300 for more pixels, lower light capability, etc. etc. Recently sold the D300 although it truly is a very fine camera and replaced it with a D90. I put some money in the bank and gained some nice features the D300 doesn't have! My next camera will (probably) be a full frame - perhaps whatever succeeds the D700. But I am good to go for at least a couple of years (hmm, well, I hope), with my Nikon 18-200 VR lens (plus a couple of other lenses I use occasionally, like a 300mm).

My advice is to see what Ken Rockwell (link above) has to say about it. I think you are on the right track with the Rebel XSi, but if you are interested in Nikon, you can easily get by with a D40. Get a nice Nikon VR 18-200 lens and you are in business. For around $1k. Or if you don't do much telephoto work, you can save some bucks with a Nikon 18mm-70mm VR. You can do the same thing in the Canon line and there are some pretty good 3rd party lenses, too.

Mikey is right about the consequences (non-interchangability of lenses and accessories) of choosing between Nikon or Canon (or maybe even other brands). That may be your hardest decision.

Best of luck,

Bob
Last edited by Bob R on Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Northernrob » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:41 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the websites. They'll make for a few nights reading. Ken really likes the Nikon D40. My brother has one, and has sent me some very impressive images.
Lenses will be a necessity down the road. I'll need a telephoto for my son's soccer games, and I love the close-ups that I see in the PSG shows.

Always learning..
Rob

Esteemed Member

Postby WBD » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:24 am

Another source of information and reviews is the Digital Photography Review web site.
http://www.dpreview.com/
good hunting
Bruce

Postby bellzerr » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:47 am

I bought the Sony Alpha a couple of years ago and I'm very happy with it. I find that I don't use much of the fancy stuff that's designed to provide that perfect show. So much of that can be done with digital editing now. But what can't be done after the shot it focus, depth of field and the ever important composition. Ok, you can screw around with composition to some degree with digital editing now, but not if the camera angle is wrong for the shot, etc.
Happy shopping. Researching and buying new toys is great fun, isn't it?

Postby PhotoBob » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:35 pm

I am shooting a Nikon D700 which is a full frame camera, and I love the images that I get from it. I started out with the Canon but did not like the way the flash worked with that system. I moved on to the Nikon D200 and the Nikon D300 which are also great cameras. Check out the different cameras and maybe rent one for a few days and see is you like using it. The Nikon has a D40 as well as a D60 that are very nice beginning cameras.
Producer V5, PS CS6, Lightroom 5, Olympus OMD E-M5
BS Ed Indiana State university, MS Ed Indiana University

Next

Return to Photography